The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS OIL FILTER PART NUMBERS AND REVIEW - B57 & B58 MOTOR

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
BACKGROUND
This post is in two parts. Part 1 lists possible third-party suppliers of oil filters for the INEOS Grenadier B57 Diesel Motor (the oil filter is also used on the B58).

Part 2 looks at some third-party oil filter available in Australia. It summarises some basic features with a view to help you decide what may suit your needs.

When in doubt use the INEOS oil filter.

PART 1
Below is a list of oil filters (including part numbers) for the INEOS Grenadier B57 Diesel Motor. The B58 Petrol Motor uses the same oil filter (thanks @Logsplitter). The base list is from the AUTOMOTIVESUPERSTORE in Australia with names I added, plus the RYCO filter courtesy of @DenisM.

I could not verify the lists accuracy for all filter brands, but the INEOS (supplied by BMW), the BMW 11 42 7 826 799, the MANN Filter HU6022Z, the RYCO R2829P and the Sakura EO-30300 all seem correct (all are discussed further in the oil filter review in Part 2 below).

TABLE 1 - BRANDS & PART NUMBERS
BRAND*
PART NO:
MADE IN/COMMENT
A.L. FILTER
ALO-8767​
MD-865​
AMC FILTER
TO-153​
ASHIKA
10-ECO026​
BLUE PRINT
ADB 112117​
BMW
11 42 7 826 799​
Tunisia for Europe. Australian filter stock comes from Mexico.​
BMW
11 42 8 583 898​
BOSCH
F 026 407 264​
COMLINE
EOF321​
FA6819ECO​
109000​
Germany. 90 grams.​
OE672/10​
FRAM
CH12059ECO​
FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of PH8A, PH3387A and PH4967 under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns.​
E859HD352​
J1312031​
94 grams.​
INEOS
EGRA-1000-012600​
Tunisia for Europe. Australian filter stock comes from Mexico. Same as BMW 11 42 7 826 799.​
JAPANPARTS
FO-ECO026​
N/A​
Open to developing their long-life filter for the B57.​
LAUTRETTE
ELH 4488​
MAHLE
OX 1254D​
Also marketed under the name KNECHT using the same Part number. WARNING: I have seen photos of this filter which do no match the INEOS/BMW oil filter.
HU6022Z​
Germany and Turkey.​
64610​
MMR17-1502​
UK? Stainless Steel Lifetime filter. Fitting instructions here.
MOTAQUIP
LVFL 845​
FOP401​
NIPPARTS
N1312031​
PL41404​
Tunisia. 105 grams. A MANN Filter brand.​
L1126​
PG99256EX​
China. 99% Multi-Pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 25 microns​
QFL0413​
RYCO
R2829P​
Bulgaria.​
EO-30300​
Indonesia.​
S 5252 PE (replacing S 5148 PE)​
STP​
S90186XL​
95 grams. Made of "advanced synthetic fibre blend media with 99% Multi-Pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 20 microns."​
OP1055​
TOYOTA
04152-WAA02​
Now replaced by 04152-WAA03.​
TOYOTA
04152-WAA03​
UFI
25.148.00​
UFI
25.252.00​
V20-4228​
WESFIL OR WESFIL COOPER
WCO226​
*Oil filters for the BMW B57 Diesel engine. The B58 does use the same oil filter.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
PART 2- OIL FILTER REVIEW IN AU
I sourced several oil filters in Australia and did a visual review of the available filters. Table 2 below summarises various aspects concerning the filters including cost, filter type, country of origin, weight, number of pleats, etc.

Unfortunately, I could not locate much information about the performance of each brand like micron size and efficacy, the manufacturers do not seem to make the information readily available. One exception was the RYCO whose oil filter rating is 30 microns at @ 98.7% efficiency. This is one of the most important features of a filter’s performance (I was looking for something more than a vague comment that the filter meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specifications.)
1707970742626.png
The Table shows the number of pleats varies between the filters (low of 41 and high of 50) as does the country of origin. The INEOS/BMW filter has the most pleats at 50. Theoretically speaking the higher the number of pleats in the filter, the greater the surface area. But this is unconfirmed without pulling the filters apart, something beyond this visual review.

Each filter kit has a spare O-ring for the oil filter cap and a washer for the sump plug, except the MMR. BMW call the O-ring the "Oil filter cover sealing ring".

Visually there is little difference between the oil filters, although the pleats are not as vertical in the MANN Filter compared to the other brands (see first image below). The MMR is different because it is a Stainless Steel Lifelong filter. The MMR is the best quality of all the filters reviewed and the heaviest. The Sakura is hands down the cheapest filter, and appears to be similar build quality to the other paper filters.

One downside of the INEOS oil filter (supplied by BMW) is the BMW’s reputation for disintegrating while being removed. So make sure you follow the service schedule and carefully remove the filter to avoid a disintegration. A good practice for the third party filter brands as well.

The INEOS/BMW filters in Europe are sourced from Tunisia, but my Australasian sourced oil filter appears to come from Mexico (the filter says Tunisia, but the box says Mexico). I have also seen MANN filters stating from both Germany and Turkey.

The filters were photographed from the top and the side. The MMR filter does not have the same shape top as the other filter brands. The MMR is round but the others differ. One reason I will hesitate to use the MMR, until I know more. Because the MMR is a lifelong filter, you must carefully follow the cleaning instructions during oil changes (when you must clean the MMR oil filter). The O-ring on the filter cap should be replaced at each oil change. The MMR Performance fitting/cleaning instructions can be found here.

Filter DxO - 0013_Radiant-SAI-Focus v1.jpg
Left to right the filters are MMR, INEOS/BMW, MANN, RYCO and Sakura.

Filter DxO - 0006_Radiant-SAI-Focus v1.jpg
Left to right the filters are MMR, INEOS/BMW, MANN, RYCO and Sakura.

SOME OBSERVATIONS
  1. Manufacturers are not keen to publish the micron and efficiency ratings for their filters. One of the most important factors to consider when buying an oil filter.
  2. There is no obvious direct correlation between the pleat count and the filter’s weight. As the weight is also influenced by the total amount of plastic used and the paper thickness.
  3. It is no surprise the stainless-steel MMR filter is the heaviest, by some margin.
  4. You need to carefully follow the oil service schedule, or shorten it, to hopefully avoid a filter disintegrating - a known problem with the INEOS/BMW oil filter.
  5. There is no hands down winner. It is a balancing exercise for each owner based on their own needs.
MY CHOICE?
Remember the elephant in the room, few manufacturers are telling you the micron rating and the filter’s efficiency. If you find this data let me know so Table 2 can be updated.

Sakura is a respected OEM filter supplier, its filter is of a similar quality to the other brands, it has a large pleat count (48) and is by far the cheapest at AUD10.41. If you are interested in a third-party filter, it is a compelling choice.

If you have no appetite for third party suppliers, stick with the INEOS/BMW filter.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Draft flag removed. More links added to Table 1. INEOS oil filter now added to Table 2 and the images.

I will add weight in grams in due course to Table 2 (still looking for my food scales). EDIT: found, weights added to Table 2.

The Country of Origin seems to be an enigma. The INEOS oil filter says made in Tunisia on the filter, but made in Mexico on the box !

Last edited:

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
PART 2- OIL FILTER REVIEW IN AU
I sourced several oil filters in Australia and did a visual review of the available filters. The following Table summarises various aspects concerning the filters including cost, filter type, country of origin, weight, number of pleats, etc.

Unfortunately, I could not locate much information about the performance of each brand like micron size and efficacy, the manufacturers do not seem to make the information readily available. One exception was the RYCO whose oil filter rating is 30 microns at @ 98.7% efficiency. This is one of the most important features of a filter’s performance (I was looking for something more than a vague comment that the filter meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specifications.)

TABLE 2 - SUMMARY OF OIL FILTER FEATURES
BRANDCOST*TYPERatingMADE INPLEATS#Weight (grams)
INEOS EGRA-1000-012600AUD41.37Paper##?Tunisia & Mexico50Coming
RYCO R2829PAUD35.99Paper##30 microns at @ 98.7% efficiencyBulgaria41Coming
MANN Filter HU6022ZAUD37.95Paper##?Germany & Turkey45Coming
Sakura EO-30300AUD10.41Paper##?Indonesia48Coming
MMR Performance MMR17-1502AUD103.00Stainless Steel Lifetime filter20 microns. Claimed 5 times faster oil flow than a paper filter.UK?42Coming
*Postage costs are not included. #Theoretically speaking the higher the number of pleats in the filter, the greater the surface area. ## probably a Cellulose/Synthetic Blend.

The Table shows the number of pleats varies between the filters (low of 41 and high of 50) as does the country of origin. The INEOS/BMW filter has the most pleats at 50. Theoretically speaking the higher the number of pleats in the filter, the greater the surface area. But this is unconfirmed without pulling the filters apart, something beyond this visual review.

Each filter kit has a spare O-ring for the oil filter cap and a washer for the sump plug, except the MMR. BMW call the O-ring the "Oil filter cover sealing ring".

Visually there is little difference between the oil filters, although the pleats are not as vertical in the MANN Filter compared to the other brands (see first image below). The MMR is different because it is a Stainless Steel Lifelong filter. The MMR is the best quality of all the filters reviewed. The Sakura is hands down the cheapest filter, and appears to be similar build quality to the other paper filters.

One downside of the INEOS oil filter (supplied by BMW) is the BMW’s reputation for disintegrating while being removed. So make sure you follow the service schedule and carefully remove the filter to avoid a disintegration. A good practice for the third party filter brands as well.

The INEOS/BMW filters in Europe are sourced from Tunisia, but my Australasian sourced oil filter comes from Mexico. I have also seen MANN filters stating from both Germany and Turkey.

The filters were photographed from the top and the side. The MMR filter does not have the same shape top as the other filter brands. The MMR is round but the others differ. One reason I will hesitate to use the MMR, until I know more. Because the MMR is a lifelong filter, you must carefully follow the cleaning instructions during oil changes (when you also clean the MMR oil filter). The O-ring on the filter cap should be replaced at each oil change. The MMR Performance fitting/cleaning instructions can be found here.

View attachment 7844123
Left to right the filters are MMR, IINEOS/BMW, MANN, RYCO and Sakura.

View attachment 7844124
Left to right the filters are MMR, IINEOS/BMW, MANN, RYCO and Sakura.

MY CHOICE?
Remember the elephant in the room, few manufacturers are telling you the micron rating and the filter’s efficiency. If you find this data let me know so Table 2 can be updated.

Sakura is a respected OEM filter supplier, its filter is of a similar quality to the other brands, it has a large pleat count (48) and is by far the cheapest at AUD10.41. If you are interested in a third-party filter, it is a compelling choice.

If you have no appetite for third party suppliers, stick with the INEOS/BMW filter.
Thanhkyou so much for this excellent work

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
WEIGHING METHODOLOGY FOR TABLE 2
The Scales were placed on a hard surface. The Scales were zeroed out. Each filter was gently placed on the centre of the scales and the weight noted.

If I wanted to be more precise, I should have weighed each filter three times and taken an average. But I did not.

One reason why the Sakura weighs less is because the thickness of the plastic at the top and bottom of the filter is thinner than the other filter brands. You can see this by looking at the side on image above - look at the top and bottom parts touching the paper filter. In contrast, the MMR filter is thickest at those points.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
WEIGHING METHODOLOGY FOR TABLE 2
The Scales were placed on a hard surface. The Scales were zeroed out. Each filter was gently placed on the centre of the scales and the weight noted.

If I wanted to be more precise, I should have weighed each filter three times and taken an average. But I did not.

One reason why the Sakura weighs less is because the thickness of the plastic at the top and bottom of the filter is thinner than the other filter brands. You can see this by looking at the side on image above - look at the top and bottom parts touching the paper filter. In contrast, the MMR filter is thickest at those points.

Whilst no doubt we are all grateful, me thinks you have far too much time on your hands. 😂😂😂

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
Related note, where are NA members buying/ordering their oil filter kits from?

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
As a BMW M5 owner (not bragging, I'm third owner), I have found Turner Motorsport to be a reliable and very competitive on price, BMW parts supplier.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Search?No=0&Nrpp=50&Ntt=11+42+7+826+799

B58 3.0L Oil Filter - Priced Each

B58 3.0L Oil Filter - Priced Each

Genuine BMW - Corporate Logo

T#:5760258
Part#: 11427826799
In Stock
Qty
15% off MSRP $ 24.23
$ 20.52

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
discountbmw on ebay $55.50 for 3 bmw oil filters which have the oring seal and crush washer. Also bought the bmw engine coolant on ebay as I couldn't find a coolant with the same spec at any of our local parts stores. it ended up ~ $36.00

Back
Top Bottom