The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Anyone using the MMR Performance Lifetime Oil Change Service Kit for the BMW B58 / B57?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Yes in this post here.

I will not use the Kit at the present time, for the reasons posted.

Last edited:
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Yes in this post here.

I will not use the Kit at the present time, for the reasons posted.
I’m looking at both the OEM and MMR in hand, and I can see the MMR oil filter housing cap has a bypass, just like the bypass on the OEM B58TU cap. Both oil filters are the same in structure, with the MMR being slightly girthier on the top.

Not sure what you were talking about when mentioning the bypass.

Edit: in addition to being able to see the bypass valve (OEM is pointer and made out only plastic) the description for the cap itself literally says this:

“And it's not just about the looks. An integrated pressure control oil bypass is built into the MMR housing, meaning that there is no need to transfer OE plastic bypass valve from OE filter housing to MMR filter housing - many people have broken these valves moving them from OE to other aftermarket housings!” - MMR Performance

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that information.

I have not seen inside the OEM filter cap, so I did not know. To be safe I was not going to use it but do more research. There are confirmed differences between the top of the OEM Oil filter and the MMR, you can see it in the second photo in this thread. That difference and the efficiency of the MMR are still things I need to do further research on. In the meantime it is in the spares kit and not in the car.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that information.

I have not seen inside the OEM filter cap, so I did not know. To be safe I was not going to use it but do more research. There are confirmed differences between the top of the OEM Oil filter and the MMR, you can see it in the second photo in this thread. That difference and the efficiency of the MMR are still things I need to do further research on. In the meantime it is in the spares kit and not in the car.
I believe those differences in the filter itself has to do with why the OEM is flawed in the first place.

I can see the MMR is much more structurally sound and utilizes some form of keyed system, that prevents the top from breaking off, which is why some of the OEM filters fail. Apply enough pressure or slot it in wrong to the housing, and the next time you take it out, it will break because it was already dislodged to begin with. In essence, you don’t need to leave it in for extended OCI’s in order for it to fail.

There is a video on the OEM filter, which I think was linked here, which also goes into more detail.

I’m still doing research as well, as my main concern is the 20 micron rating. I’ve already contacted MMR to try and find out if this is an absolute or nominal rating. If it’s nominal, I don’t think this filter is worth running and doing professional testing on to truly prove if it works as efficiently as it claims.

Local time
Reaction score
So, I have an update.

I’ve tried to contact MMR both on Instagram and both their Canadian and UK websites. At least on Instagram, they said they would find out the information I requested and get back to me. I followed up with them and they left me on read.

I’m yet to hear back from my other emails.

So basically my take is this: seeing the items in hand, they seem to be extremely high quality. However, being quality doesn’t mean it filters better. Being an aftermarket filter, I would expect a lot of research and development required to filter down to 20 microns as this claims, and for it to have 5x the flow. That said, if requested, I would expect proof of that information to be readily available… unless it’s simply not true?

That wouldn’t phase me, as the oil industry is filled with lies. I don’t see how an oil filter would differentiate between that. Even my favorite engine oil for this car, RedLine, advertises its own lies just like every single oil company does.

So, to claim that filter achieves 5x better oil flow goes in line with similar insane lies I’ve heard in the oil industry. Until MMR replies to my messages and actually provides factual information to back these claims, I will be sticking with the OE BMW filter.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I contacted K&P Engineering a month or so ago regarding their filters and the B58 engine. In the process of digging around I found this in their FAQ, specifically FAQ #4 & #6

I’m not sure if their answers meet your needs, and even if it does, it’s a jump in logic to assume MMR has done similar testing…but I think it’s interesting information nonetheless.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I changed my oil & filter last weekend. BMW filter was intact, perfectly fine actually. New one went in with zero issues.

I am very interested to see what you dig up on the MMR. My senses are triggering snake oil.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
YMMV, but:
Dirty oil is also known as liquid sandpaper.
Oil changes are cheap compared to replacing spun bearings and rings.
Make your life easier and consider changing your oil every 5000 miles, and time it to the odometer rollover at the 5k mark (ex, 5000, 10000, 15000, etc)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Small update re. Toyota version for the BMW engined Supra: the part number 04152-WAA02 has been susperseded by 04152-WAA03.
Thanks. That explains why I have seen both numbers. I have made that annotation over in the Oil Filter Table.

Back
Top Bottom