The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Anyone using the MMR Performance Lifetime Oil Change Service Kit for the BMW B58 / B57?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
I like the idea in principle: less waste, less dependence on carrying a spare filter or looking for one in a remote location, and it eliminates the possibility of a disintegrating paper filter. But I'd want to talk to a BMW tech before I tried it, and someone involved in approving warranty work. I'd also want to know more about how to clean it. Seems like that might be a PIA, and if you don't clean it properly you'll be reintroducing some of the dirty oil and/or particulates you'd be discarding if you were using a disposable filter. If there is a lot of downtime associated with cleaning the stainless steel filter, and letting it dry (?) I'd look into getting two filters. The filter alone is just $68. Then you could do a quick oil change, swap in your clean filter, and drop the dirty filter into a bucket of cleaning solution / degreaser / soap and water - or whatever they recommend - but your Gren is ready to drive.

NOTE: this might be totally unrelated, but most mechanics disapprove of washable air filters, like the reusable K&N filters.
FWIW, on my Scotts SS oil filter (2015 BMW R1200GSA motorcycle), all I’ve ever done is spray it down with brake cleaner. Both the filter screen and SS filter housing get cleaned. I spray it down over the drained oil container. The Scotts has a magnet mounted in the filter, so it catches most of the “bad stuff”. And since it’s SS colored, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s clean or if there’s still oil on it. The filter is rated to 30 microns, which is much better than the OEM disposable oil filter, IIRC.

Since brake cleaner evaporates dry relatively quickly there’s no reason to have two IMHO. And even if it’s not 100% dry, brake cleaner won’t hurt your engine in those small amounts. The oil and any crap on the filter comes off without scrubbing or use of any brushes. Think of it like cleaning the SS filter on a French press under running water.

Ultimately, the trick is going to be finding a reputable company with an excellent track record that makes a high end SS filter before I go reusable.

With that said, I’m going to contact the company I linked above. Before I do, can anyone give me a short list of:
Year, model, brand of vehicles that uses the same engine as the IG?

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
FWIW, on my Scotts SS oil filter (2015 BMW R1200GSA motorcycle), all I’ve ever done is spray it down with brake cleaner. Both the filter screen and SS filter housing get cleaned. I spray it down over the drained oil container. The Scotts has a magnet mounted in the filter, so it catches most of the “bad stuff”. And since it’s SS colored, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s clean or if there’s still oil on it. The filter is rated to 30 microns, which is much better than the OEM disposable oil filter, IIRC.

Since brake cleaner evaporates dry relatively quickly there’s no reason to have two IMHO. And even if it’s not 100% dry, brake cleaner won’t hurt your engine in those small amounts. The oil and any crap on the filter comes off without scrubbing or use of any brushes. Think of it like cleaning the SS filter on a French press under running water.

Ultimately, the trick is going to be finding a reputable company with an excellent track record that makes a high end SS filter before I go reusable.

With that said, I’m going to contact the company I linked above. Before I do, can anyone give me a short list of:
Year, model, brand of vehicles that uses the same engine as the IG?
There's a list of vehicles that use the B58 in the SIB I posted from the NHTSA. Here it is again: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199292-9999.pdf

You can also find a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

The B58 has different variants; not sure if that is relevant with regard to oil filter though.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I heard back from PurePower today and they stated they only do spin on filters at this time.

I also contacted K&P Engineering, which reminds me a lot of the Scott’s filter I have. They also don’t offer a B58 compatible filter but they make both spin-on and cartridge filters. They said interest has been high enough that it is on their list, but no time frame.

FWIW, K&P has racing (F1 and NASCAR) and aviation experience, so I’d imagine they know what they’re doing.

https://kandpengineering.com/

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
The Kit arrived today. All the components are quality.

The stainless steel oil filter is better quality than most of the paper oil filters I have seen in the past. Looks does not help with working out efficiency, but the K&P videos were informative.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I will be a doing mini review of this filter and 3 paper filters over the coming weeks. Visual review only.

BRANDCOST*TYPE
RYCO R2829PAUD35.99Paper
MANN Filter HU6022ZAUD37.95Paper
Sakura EO-30300AUD10.41Paper
MMR Performance MMR17-1502AUD103.00Stainless Steel Lifetime filter
*Postage costs not included
Very interested to read this, especially a comparison of particle size and effective filtration. The idea of a cleanable, reusable oil filter conjures the crazy dishonesty of Amsoil oiled air filters.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very interested to read this, especially a comparison of particle size and effective filtration. The idea of a cleanable, reusable oil filter conjures the crazy dishonesty of Amsoil oiled air filters.
Not sure all that information can be found. Happy to look.

Reusable filters do exist like the K&P Engineering filter and others. But K&P have nothing for the B57 or B58 motors.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have read about it on a few BMW sites, when I was researching the motor used in the INEOS. It is no secret. I think the INEOS is using the BMW OEM filter, but have not confirmed it as yet.

My short term solution was to change oil every 5 or 7.500 kms - not 15.000km. So less chance of the oil filter failing (what a disaster a filter failure would be). Sourcing a third party filter was another option like a Ryco or Sakura.

Video here as an example:
View: https://youtu.be/ktfBAlTT9hE
I've been sleuthing around filter recommendations of late and confirmed that @TheDocAUS valid concerns re. the BMW filter integrity after recommended service life are in fact applicable to the simple fluted paper design in general.
To reduce the chances of structural failure of the filter, some manufacturers recommend that the filter be changed at the half-way mark of the 15,000 km service interval (i.e. at 7,500km) as well as at 15,000km but let the oil run full term (15,000km).
(I thought I'd read ages ago in other heavy machinery situations (e.g. interstate trucks) that more frequent filter changes was standard practice to reduce service time and cost and extend the life of the oil)...
Thoughts?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've been sleuthing around filter recommendations of late and confirmed that @TheDocAUS valid concerns re. the BMW filter integrity after recommended service life are in fact applicable to the simple fluted paper design in general.
To reduce the chances of structural failure of the filter, some manufacturers recommend that the filter be changed at the half-way mark of the 15,000 km service interval (i.e. at 7,500km) as well as at 15,000km but let the oil run full term (15,000km).
(I thought I'd read ages ago in other heavy machinery situations (e.g. interstate trucks) that more frequent filter changes was standard practice to reduce service time and cost and extend the life of the oil)...
Thoughts?
I am thinking oil change every 7,500 km rather than 15,000 km. Something INEOS Australia is suggesting if you play hard or tow.

From Purnell Adventure email 29 January 2024
INEOS recommend servicing your Grenadier every 15,000km or 12 months, whichever comes first. If you’re doing a lot of off-road driving and/or towing you should consider an interim 7,500km or six-month service. Please reach out to Nathan in our service team for further information.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am thinking oil change every 7,500 km rather than 15,000 km. Something INEOS Australia is suggesting if you play hard or tow.

From Purnell Adventure email 29 January 2024
I'm planning my second oil change at 2k miles, then a 5k mile regular interval. I'll have to see the filter condition before deciding to shorten that change interval.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A second thought, with unsubstantiated (filter) filtration specifications, does it make sense to add two filter changes per oil change? So, oil every 5k and filter every 2.5k?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are several factors re. oil change frequency and don't forget, large trucks using similar oils run 25000+ miles between changes!
The B57 and B58 engines have a 7+L fill capacity. This means a lower concentration of contaminants and lower thermal load.

The B series engines employ sophisticated oil/gas separation techniques to clean up blow-by gases and extract them from oil returning via PCV/EGR systems. .

Frankly I think you're wasting money with very short change intervals unless you're operating under truly punishing conditions.😉

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to add to the above. thanks to @globalgregors ...again😍(y)!!
I can't recommend these publications enough for "bed time reading" to get to understand the engine.
The detail to which BMW engineering designers have gone is quite extraordinary.
They're well written, and not full of jargon.
Read especially about the AdBlue and EGR setup on the B57 diesel and why one doesn't need a catch can... it has something even better!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NOT USING MMR KIT FOR TIME BEING
After looking closely at the MMR oil filter and the oil cap, there are differences between these products and the OEM product.

The OEM filter cap has a Filter bypass valve (integrated into the oil filter cover) which I cannot see on the MMR oil cap. There is more research to do.

Because of the differences in design of both the MMR oil filter and the cap I will not be using the Kit until further work is undertaken. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I would NOT recommend the Kit at this time.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen that video. By way of observation the steel filter is rated at 35 microns, which is not ideal for a car. Cars often use oil filters in the 25 to 30 micron range.

The MMR is rated at 20 microns.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the Kit is a magnetic oil sump plug, Billet Oil Filter Housing and a reusable stainless steel oil filter. Details here.

The OEM oil filter had had a reputation for failing, when used in BMW models. FYI: INEOS Part numbers for the diesel motor here.

Other kits just have just the stainless steel oil filter. I cannot see any discussion of the product.

I have bought the Kit and I am keen to use the magnetic oil sump plug and the Billet Oil Filter Housing, not sure about the filter just yet. In the past I successfully used a stainless steel filter in a Provent 200 catch can (obviously a very different use).

EDIT:
NOT USING MMR KIT FOR TIME BEING
After looking closely at the MMR oil filter and the oil cap, there are differences between these products and the OEM product.

The OEM filter cap has a Filter bypass valve (integrated into the oil filter cover) which I cannot see on the MMR oil cap. There is more research to do.

Because of the differences in design of both the MMR oil filter and the cap I will not be using the Kit until further work is undertaken. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I would NOT recommend the Kit at this time.

View attachment 7841305
Do you have an update on this MMR kit TheDocAUS since you posted this now almost a year ago? I really like the idea of this S/S filter option

Back
Top Bottom