The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen wipers effectiveness

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Never had a problem until recently, however I've started to notice this over the past week or so - particularly if the roads have been salted. The outermost 3-4" of sweep of both wipers is failing to clear as well as the rest of the sweep. It's not particularly unusual to have this effect in the UK with light salty spray from the car in front drying on the screen, particularly if the screen heat is being used.
Problem is, when using the screen wash to clear it, the 3rd or 4th sweep of the wipers has achieved cleaning/drying of the screen except for that outer part of the sweep. Seems like the blades are not sitting square to the screen and applying sufficient pressure to clear the muck away.
With the wipers parked it's apparent that the blade profile becomes twisted towards the last 4" of the wiper. I know that the screen has a slight curve but you'd possibly expect the opposite - ie blade sitting square at the outer edge, and being more twisted near the middle where there might be more pressure on it...?
Understandably the wipers are consumables but I'm a little surprised that they're starting to fail so soon. Wondering if anybody has replaced theirs with a more robust profile that might alleviate this problem?

For Info: - Fieldmaster - took delivery October - 3500 miles on the clock. Wipers pulled away from the screen if frost is forecast.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Never had a problem until recently, however I've started to notice this over the past week or so - particularly if the roads have been salted. The outermost 3-4" of sweep of both wipers is failing to clear as well as the rest of the sweep. It's not particularly unusual to have this effect in the UK with light salty spray from the car in front drying on the screen, particularly if the screen heat is being used.
Problem is, when using the screen wash to clear it, the 3rd or 4th sweep of the wipers has achieved cleaning/drying of the screen except for that outer part of the sweep. Seems like the blades are not sitting square to the screen and applying sufficient pressure to clear the muck away.
With the wipers parked it's apparent that the blade profile becomes twisted towards the last 4" of the wiper. I know that the screen has a slight curve but you'd possibly expect the opposite - ie blade sitting square at the outer edge, and being more twisted near the middle where there might be more pressure on it...?
Understandably the wipers are consumables but I'm a little surprised that they're starting to fail so soon. Wondering if anybody has replaced theirs with a more robust profile that might alleviate this problem?

For Info: - Fieldmaster - took delivery October - 3500 miles on the clock. Wipers pulled away from the screen if frost is forecast.
I usually end up replacing my OEM wipers with Bosch blades. Still on the originals currently as I've only done 1000 miles. But expect to see the winter roads seeing them off.
The amount of salt grit that the UK use for gritting is OTT.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Similar experience to you, both blades leave a very small/ central line of dirt across the full arc. I’ve only ever had this with old worn out wiper blades.

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I too am less than tickled but the front wipers. I’m driving around in some pretty good snow today, and it does not take long at all for the two blades to become completely iced over and ineffective. Sadly, this big flat windscreen needs to be wiped regularly. I used a window sealant to try and improve the self cleaning properties, but man am I getting my butt kicked by snow buildup. Has anyone found replacement wiper blades that work better than the stockers?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wrangler used to do she same thing. I think it must be a flat windshield thing. Blasting the windshield from the inside with max heat helps slow down the build up, but eventually it starts accumulating on the edges Instead of sliding off the windshield.

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, the Grenadier was built to be very similar to the old Defender! The wipers of the Defender have a very poor performance, even my MY 2015 with the best Bosch wipers!!! But my Defender has the winter package with a heated windscreen. Why doesn`t have the Grenadier a heated windscreen? This would help against the icing.
Greetings Hans!

Local time
Reaction score
Hi all during the past week have had the chance to drive 3 different Triailmasters with 900 miles 4K and 9K the newer one with original blades was ok the one with 9 K was ok too both with original blades the 4K one had Bosch aero twin . When used on a clean screen not much to choose between them the 9K ones were on a demo vehicle and may need changing soon as with all consumables. Only problem I have had so far is when the vehicle was new the wipers chattered a little before they had "worn in " but check alignment nuts etc etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0I-obFmADE&t=152s

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ive now fitted the Bosch AR16U aero blades to the front and it makes a huge difference in performance, so much better, the smudged part at the top of the screen wipes clear now.
I’ve also changed the rear to a Bosch SP15U and this is also better but you’ve got to remove the spare wheel to do it which is a real pain!
the issue I now face is the washer jets, they are not good and at 70mph, do not reach the top of the screen which does cause smearing if you dontdeluge the screen. Hard to believe that a serious off-roader would have pathetic washers, do they think we all drive in perfect conditions?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes. How is the windshield exo shield working? How did the wipers with the shield handle the rain?

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes. How is the windshield exo shield working? How did the wipers with te shield handle the rain?
To start with it was horrifically appalling. Skipping and squeaking away, this has bedded in somewhat and now is as I would expect, pretty quiet and not skipping. In the rain I find the wipers ok, not spectacular but they do their job well enough with enough swept screen area for my tastes. I've not had any snowfall yet so can't comment on that.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The OEM Italian made Draco flat blade wipers don’t sit well on the windscreen properly. I see both ends deform hence the occasional dragging when there is light rain.

I opted for old school wipers with an aerodynamic casing, DENSO Hybrid 16 inch wipers. Old school wipers have the same pressure point along the wipers to suit all types of curved windscreens.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
ive now fitted the Bosch AR16U aero blades to the front and it makes a huge difference in performance, so much better, the smudged part at the top of the screen wipes clear now.
I’ve also changed the rear to a Bosch SP15U and this is also better but you’ve got to remove the spare wheel to do it which is a real pain!
the issue I now face is the washer jets, they are not good and at 70mph, do not reach the top of the screen which does cause smearing if you dontdeluge the screen. Hard to believe that a serious off-roader would have pathetic washers, do they think we all drive in perfect conditions?
That is my choice for replacement blades as well.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The OEM Italian made Draco flat blade wipers don’t sit well on the windscreen properly. I see both ends deform hence the occasional dragging when there is light rain.

I opted for old school wipers with an aerodynamic casing, DENSO Hybrid 16 inch wipers. Old school wipers have the same pressure point along the wipers to suit all types of curved windscreens.
What washer fluid are you using. Stick with a decent quality one, I swear by Autoglym

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am really surprised by all your feedback. My original windscreen wipers have done an excellent job so far. Neither snow nor heavy rain have been a problem, even in sub-zero temperatures.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am really surprised by all your feedback. My original windscreen wipers have done an excellent job so far. Neither snow nor heavy rain have been a problem, even in sub-zero temperatures.
Road salt/ grit kills wipers in the UK over the winter months. Highways Agencies get carried away with the amount they use. Must be performance paid on the tonne they spread.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Road salt/ grit kills wipers in the UK over the winter months. Highways Agencies get carried away with the amount they use. Must be performance paid on the tonne they spread.
Here in Germany, we are using less and less granular salt and more aqueous salt solutions. In my opinion, this is even worse for the vehicles. This slurry runs everywhere.

AWo

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
Ignition on
Wipe in the back
While the wiper arm is in the middle ignition off
Change blade.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom