The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen wipers won't turn off - control module failure (R104 located in the centre fuse box next to the battery for emergency isolation of wipers)

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
I am certain that I have read of Grenadier windscreen wipers turning themselves on and the driver not being able to turn them off. I have just had (am having) this issue myself. Did anyone experience the same and find a fix for it (I have tried a couple of times turning the car off and on again without success)? I have a feeling that I have read of this problem on the forum but my search has not turned up where I read it. I have spoken to my dealer and they diagnosed (remotely) that it was a control module failure and that the solution would be the vehicle going into them and a new module being substituted.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
I had that before getting my car (when the car was already at the dealer). I commented that on the forum. They had to replace the whole module indeed.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had that before getting my car (when the car was already at the dealer). I commented that on the forum. They had to replace the whole module indeed.
Hi and thanks, yes I recall you having the problem very early on. For some reason I recall reading about others having the issue and "solving" it absent a new part but I may well be mistaken

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi and thanks, yes I recall you having the problem very early on. For some reason I recall reading about others having the issue and "solving" it absent a new part but I may well be mistaken
I don't remember having read this, and if I had, I would remember it! But I don't pretend I succeed in reading all posts.
Good luck with the delivery time, keep us posted :(

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a recollection that @Logsplitters power steering failure was initially attributed to a control module failure albeit the problem was eventually diagnosed as a pump failure (which I recall solved the issue). Do vehicles have one control module coordinating everything or several focusing on specific areas? The Ineos/dealer response suggests that control module issues are at front of mind for them! Touchwood the "new" modules are more resilient/improved although my guess is that they are no different and I am just unlucky to have ended up with a dud one (or the dud one incidence is only an issue on the early cars for some reason)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
I have a recollection that @Logsplitters power steering failure was initially attributed to a control module failure albeit the problem was eventually diagnosed as a pump failure (which I recall solved the issue). Do vehicles have one control module coordinating everything or several focusing on specific areas? The Ineos/dealer response suggests that control module issues are at front of mind for them! Touchwood the "new" modules are more resilient/improved although my guess is that they are no different and I am just unlucky to have ended up with a dud one (or the dud one incidence is only an issue on the early cars for some reason)
This is an interesting question and would like to know the answer. I have to say I have wondered several times if in the interests of being able to claim significantly fewer ECUs etc than competitors whether they are asking the existing ones to do too much which may contribute to the software glitches and possibly failure of a module leading to multiple symptoms issues. 🤷‍♂️ no idea what I am talking about really but it is a wondering I have had.

On the issue itself and short term solutions. You could try disconnecting the battery and shorting the battery leads together (not the battery terminals, and not if you have dual batteries) and reconnecting after a few minutes to see if it resets things. No idea if this works for this issue or on this vehicle but it works on some vehicles.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is an interesting question and would like to know the answer. I have to say I have wondered several times if in the interests of being able to claim significantly fewer ECUs etc than competitors whether they are asking the existing ones to do too much which may contribute to the software glitches and possibly failure of a module leading to multiple symptoms issues. 🤷‍♂️ no idea what I am talking about really but it is a wondering I have had.

On the issue itself and short term solutions. You could try disconnecting the battery and shorting the battery leads together (not the battery terminals, and not if you have dual batteries) and reconnecting after a few minutes to see if it resets things. No idea if this works for this issue or on this vehicle but it works on some vehicles.
Thanks for comments. I suspect there are a few technically able and knowledgeable guys on the forum who will have an idea regarding the ECU position. Like you perhaps I am guessing based on no knowledge!

Last edited:

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am certain that I have read of Grenadier windscreen wipers turning themselves on and the driver not being able to turn them off. I have just had (am having) this issue myself. Did anyone experience the same and find a fix for it (I have tried a couple of times turning the car off and on again without success)? I have a feeling that I have read of this problem on the forum but my search has not turned up where I read it. I have spoken to my dealer and they diagnosed (remotely) that it was a control module failure and that the solution would be the vehicle going into them and a new module being substituted.
Yeh mine has done it a few times now. Eventually had to pull the fuse to get it to stop 😑

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeh mine has done it a few times now. Eventually had to pull the fuse to get it to stop 😑
Many thanks for your comment. Did pulling the fuse work in the sense that when you put the fuse back in the problem had ceased (well at least for a while)? Have you raised the issue with your supplying dealer, if so what was their response?

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Many thanks for your comment. Did pulling the fuse work in the sense that when you put the fuse back in the problem had ceased (well at least for a while)? Have you raised the issue with your supplying dealer, if so what was their response?
Yeh fixed it temporarily but happened again a day later. It seemed to occur in tandem with a string of error messages and bongs around ESC, HDC, HHC failure etc. Also couldn't use the washers either so had to deal with dry wipes on windscreen until I could pull over

I've only just emailed my agent this afternoon about it in case it was just a one off. But alas no...

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for these comments and links. Your symptoms are identical to mine. Absent fuses being pulled the wipers won't stop if the car is turned on and the indicators etc (ie presumably everything activated by the control stalks) won't turn on! Albeit the positive news is the vehicle (an N1 5 door diesel) will move of its own accord forward (and backwards) it is not in a state where you would want to be taking it on the road - which, without wanting to sound negative, is quite limiting for an intended means of transport. It will be interesting to find out how long it takes to get it back into a usable state

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeh fixed it temporarily but happened again a day later. It seemed to occur in tandem with a string of error messages and bongs around ESC, HDC, HHC failure etc. Also couldn't use the washers either so had to deal with dry wipes on windscreen until I could pull over

I've only just emailed my agent this afternoon about it in case it was just a one off. But alas no...
If you have the time and are ok to do so, I would be interested to hear what response you got from your dealer when you told them about the fault

Reactions: CBN

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you have the time and are ok to do so, I would be interested to hear what response you got from your dealer when you told them about the fault
Received this reply

"I believe the wipers are known and something we can sort out."

Have no doubt my agents will be able to fix it as they have been pretty good so far.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Received this reply

"I believe the wipers are known and something we can sort out."

Have no doubt my agents will be able to fix it as they have been pretty good so far.
Thanks. I like their use of “believe” in the sentence

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A update. The problem arose Monday 14/8 ie wipers would not turn off and indicators etc would not turn on albeit the vehicle could still move under its own steam. Parts apparently ordered [Tuesday]. Vehicle taken by flatbed to dealer late Thursday afternoon. Lack of free dealer workshop capacity means that it will not be worked on until w/c 21/8. My expectation, based on what I have been told, is that the wiper problem will be addressed, replacement transfer case fitted and other slight irritations/issues solved by the end of next week. I am not expecting the software update to be provided.

The dealer has been courteous and helpful (although it is probably understaffed, perhaps though this is just an August issue) and the AA and car collection/deliverys guys were affable and interested. The Ineos branding on the AA service is only a very thin veneer ie I don’t think an Ineos G call out is treated any differently to any other call and the guys dispatched certainly have no specific Ineos G knowledge. In the UK at least there is a little bit of a performance to get the vehicle to the dealer when it is not operational or road legal (as in my case). Although the fault has already been discussed with the dealer, the owner needs to get the AA man in a van out to see the vehicle and for that guy to then confirm there is an issue and then for him to authorise the dispatch of a flatbed and for AA head office to actually set this in motion and then for the third party service supplier (which is not AA) to schedule collection. With a fair wind this can all happen in a day if you make the first call in the morning but you probably need to be working from home and completely flexible with your time. The process worked but it struck me as surprising that the dealer could not immediately schedule the collection itself and thereby take some of the hassle out of the process. When I called the dealer a courtesy car was mentioned but the dealer had none and certainly no Grenadier to offer me. The AA never mentioned a replacement car. I would have appreciated a Grenadier to substitute for my non-operational one but I don’t need/want a small run around so have not pursued the matter (beyond asking the dealer to raise with Ineos my disappointment that I have not been offered a Grenadier)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
A update. The problem arose Monday 14/8 ie wipers would not turn off and indicators etc would not turn on albeit the vehicle could still move under its own steam. Parts apparently ordered [Tuesday]. Vehicle taken by flatbed to dealer late Thursday afternoon. Lack of free dealer workshop capacity means that it will not be worked on until w/c 21/8. My expectation, based on what I have been told, is that the wiper problem will be addressed, replacement transfer case fitted and other slight irritations/issues solved by the end of next week. I am not expecting the software update to be provided.

The dealer has been courteous and helpful (although it is probably understaffed, perhaps though this is just an August issue) and the AA and car collection/deliverys guys were affable and interested. The Ineos branding on the AA service is only a very thin veneer ie I don’t think an Ineos G call out is treated any differently to any other call and the guys dispatched certainly have no specific Ineos G knowledge. In the UK at least there is a little bit of a performance to get the vehicle to the dealer when it is not operational or road legal (as in my case). Although the fault has already been discussed with the dealer, the owner needs to get the AA man in a van out to see the vehicle and for that guy to then confirm there is an issue and then for him to authorise the dispatch of a flatbed and for AA head office to actually set this in motion and then for the third party service supplier (which is not AA) to schedule collection. With a fair wind this can all happen in a day if you make the first call in the morning but you probably need to be working from home and completely flexible with your time. The process worked but it struck me as surprising that the dealer could not immediately schedule the collection itself and thereby take some of the hassle out of the process. When I called the dealer a courtesy car was mentioned but the dealer had none and certainly no Grenadier to offer me. The AA never mentioned a replacement car. I would have appreciated a Grenadier to substitute for my non-operational one but I don’t need/want a small run around so have not pursued the matter (beyond asking the dealer to raise with Ineos my disappointment that I have not been offered a Grenadier)
Unfortunately the recovery situation hasn’t improved since my breakdowns then 😕 although i did get a Grenadier on the third breakdown. Through all this the AA staff and Ineos/Harwoods staff were great but hamstrung by procedures, awaiting parts and staff shortage.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The control units in the Gren seem to be a big problem in some vehicles. Do we know what might be causing these CU failures?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A list of some, if not all such modules in the Grenadier:
Screenshot_20230819_171743.jpgScreenshot_20230819_171809.jpg

Back
Top Bottom