The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The "Locus Maps" Thread

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
I've been a GPS and navigation lunatic ever since I got my first GPS device, the Garmin GPS-II Plus. Since then I've probably had a dozen GPS devices (rather more, I believe) and still have some of them.

Especially the GPSMAP 278, which was and is an outstanding device with excellent hardware AND software. Unfortunately, the hardware is no longer supported by Garmin since some years and therefore updated maps from the manufacturer are no longer available. And installing OSM maps is quite a job, as well as a challenge when choosing a set of maps suitable for the 278's limited memory.

I have tried so many replacements for the 278, but whatever I have had a look at: it was, compared to my beloved 278, just crap. Dim displays, flimsy buttons, too small batteries, bad and buggy software, expensive maps, lacking features - and often no bug fixes by Garmin even in newer relases.

But I think I've found a solution that is promising and, as also confirmed by @AWo, is actually the benchmark for off-road navigation and features and also allows turn-by-turn navigation on and off-road: Locus Maps.

But you have to learn to deal with it. Once you do that, this software seems unbeatable. And that's exactly where I want to go. So in the coming weeks I will try step by step to understand the concept of Locus Maps and set up something that meets all my GPS and navigation needs.

I welcome anyone who would like to take part and who can contribute with his/her skills.

PS:
Please note that this is NOT about other navigation applications, only Locus Maps. If you would like to make comparisons with other navigation applications, feel free to do so in a separate thread. But this thread is all about learning how to get the most out of Locus Maps.

And that's why everything else here is just annoying.

typos, PS

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A first little teaser: Locus Maps is hardware independent as it runs on any Android platform and also has a PC based version. You can install the app for free if you don't need all the features. The premium version can do more and costs around 23 euros per year (if I'm not mistaken) or 3 euros per month. That's much less over the years than normal, recurring map updates from a vendor.

So everyone can take a look and try it out without any investment.

However, unless you're willing to wade through some tutorial videos and PDFs, you probably won't get the hang of it.

PS: No, I am in no way affiliated with Locus Maps. It's all just personal interest.

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am also GPS nerd since the late 90s and I am still using garmin devices but only on bicycles. Offroad I am using different apps on different platforms. iOS, Android and pc. Often all 3 in parallel. I rarely use Locus Maps. By far my most used App is Gaia Gps. I can highly recommend it. Worth taking a look at it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I chose the thread title as it is because that's exactly what I wanted to avoid: a fragmented topic that covers all possible solutions that aren't the issue here.

I'd appreciate very much to focus on Locus Maps here and I kindly ask everybody not to garble the topic.

But don't hesitate to start a thread on Gaja et.al.

Last edited:

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
As you dive deeper into this platform, perhaps you can compare / contrast features to some of the other big players. I myself am a big Gaia fan, but am always eager if something better comes along. As the old adage goes… ‘we don’t know what we don’t know’.

Looking forward to your write up!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As you dive deeper into this platform, perhaps you can compare / contrast features to some of the other big players. I myself am a big Gaia fan, but am always eager if something better comes along. As the old adage goes… ‘we don’t know what we don’t know’.

Looking forward to your write up!
Please read here.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As far as i know Locus maps lacks support for android auto. Not a deal breaker but definitely an important checkbox not ticked.
Android Auto is a pretty stupid software that is primarily not much more than just a screen duplicator and, above all, offers us not more than some minor advantages for which we have to let Goggle keep our phone calls metadata, our travel data, our destinations, when we have been there, how often we have been there, how long we have been there, and our entire movement protocols, including all conversations which happened while driving the vehicle.

Android Auto can never and under no circumstances and not in the slightest replicate the functionality of Locus Maps. The very idea that AA could be anything like Locus Maps is ridiculous.

A tablet with Locus Maps and some good other applications will easily outperform AA and is for me thus a complete replacement of AA, and not an addition.

So lets focus on Locus Maps, not on AA.

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are right. Android auto can not fully replace a tablet. I use both side by side. Gaia via AA on the Ineos screen and also on an ipad mounted via ram mount on the passenger grab handle. On the ipad i use several other navigation apps too. In my personal experience 95% of the time i am fine with what i have on the middle screen. On my next trip i keep the ipad stored away. 1000034881.jpg

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
So you're saying that when creating a thread to help inform others, you take issue with bringing in any other content with which how to compare the features of said program? Doesn't really seem like you're interested in helping anyone then... Why not then just write a blog post if you want a one directional conversation instead of putting it on a forum, where by design, the intent is to compare, contrast, discuss, analyze... And ultimately learn

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 PM
Reaction score
Quick aside, but related... We received our first ever GPS device in our unit when we were training in what was then West Berlin in early 1989. A Magellan, about the size of a large hardbound novel. We gave it to our platoon leader, a newly-minted 2nd lieutenant. He promptly got us lost on a road march. :LOL:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The first and most important thing to consider when choosing the right mapping software is the quality of maps provided for the area you want to travel.

Second most important is the ability to store them offline. I learned that even in regions with good cellphone coverage. The moment you will need your maps the most will be the moment where you see signal zero bars on your display. Always. Locus Maps ticks that box along with others.

Then comes the navigation features of the software and all the rest. There Locus Maps provides a lot of features. I am not deep enough into it to judge it's 4x4 navigation capabilities. Hopefully we can learn something from @emax here!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully we can learn something from @emax here
I am a beginner myself.

But I will of course share whatever I learn about Locus Maps.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I am also GPS nerd since the late 90s and I am still using garmin devices but only on bicycles. Offroad I am using different apps on different platforms. iOS, Android and pc. Often all 3 in parallel. I rarely use Locus Maps. By far my most used App is Gaia Gps. I can highly recommend it. Worth taking a look at it.
I teach Gaia GPS and Locus Map, as well as Garmin Tread Overland.....Gaia GPS lacks a lot of functionality compared to Locus Map and also regarding map handling it is far beyond. I only teach Gaia GPS for the Apple world, as Locus is not available on iOS. And for Apple devices Gaia GPS is the best to go. I tested a lot of apps (Gaia GPS, Garmin Overlander, GPS Globe, Locus Map, Orux Maps, Pocket Earth and View Ranger) on the first #5M tour from Slovenia to Albania....and still Locus Map rules!

navigationsgeraete-awo-web-40.jpg

However, if you're free to choose, I would strongly recommend Locus Map.

If someone is at the Explorer Camp in July on Fehmarn, feel free to ask me...I will give a navigation workshop there....

Of course, feel free to ask here, too...I can help with the three mentioned systems, Gaia, Locus and Garmin Tread Overland. I tested many other apps, as well, but I'm not permanently familiar with them like I'm with these three.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
BTW...this forum is named "...Green Laning"....the OS Explorer Maps you need for Green Laning in the UK are available for Locus Map. Same price as the paper or digital ones.

AWo
GLASS Member 6255

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I teach Gaia GPS and Locus Map, as well as Garmin Tread Overland.....Gaia GPS lacks a lot of functionality compared to Locus Map and also regarding map handling it is far beyond. I only teach Gaia GPS for the Apple world, as Locus is not available on iOS. And for Apple devices Gaia GPS is the best to go. I tested a lot of apps (Gaia GPS, Garmin Overlander, GPS Globe, Locus Map, Orux Maps, Pocket Earth and View Ranger) on the first #5M tour from Slovenia to Albania....and still Locus Map rules!

View attachment 7850907

However, if you're free to choose, I would strongly recommend Locus Map.

If someone is at the Explorer Camp in July on Fehmarn, feel free to ask me...I will give a navigation workshop there....

Of course, feel free to ask here, too...I can help with the three mentioned systems, Gaia, Locus and Garmin Tread Overland. I tested many other apps, as well, but I'm not permanently familiar with them like I'm with these three.

AWo
Ah, I see roadbook navigation and quovadis. I know where you are coming from. Trophy navigation. I think we all can learn a thing or two from you. Why do you prefer Locus Map over Gaia? Can You name key aspects? Or is it just the sum of many small advantages?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hello @AWo, thank you for chiming in.

I guess it is a longer way to (really) master Locus Maps. I thought and tested a lot of options but only Locus Maps offered the things I was looking for. So my decision is clear.

And as things stand, it is a good idea to go for a subscription as otherwise many features are not available.
But a 24 Euro risk for a one year subscription is affordable, I guess. ;-)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Ah, I see roadbook navigation and quovadis. I know where you are coming from. Trophy navigation. I think we all can learn a thing or two from you. Why do you prefer Locus Map over Gaia? Can You name key aspects? Or is it just the sum of many small advantages?
Yes, on the Windows PC. I kicked the QuoVadis app off very early. The other stuff are a Garmin Overlander, GPS Globe (modified OziExplorer for Android...what a crap)), Locus, Gaia and Orux (both not started on the screens there).

Let me name two or three things....

First thing is the GUI. It is very intuitive and modern, it even follows ergonomic aspects. Maybe because Locus comes from geocaching where people hold their device in their hand. You can reduce it to the most important functions you need personally or blow it up. Compared to other apps the GUI and its appearance is streamlined throughout the whole app (you find re-appearing elements and the same order and symbols for the same functions even in a different context) and all its functions. When I look at Orux or Gaia, especially at the Garmin Tread (Overland) I see old user interfaces, where you start to browse through the file system like in old MS-DOS times. The Garmin is very confusing, not streamlined. Buttons with many functions behind with many functions behind...Gaia is ok, but not flexible. Gaia is as it is. Fullstop.

Second thing is map handling. It is so easy to download maps, bitmap and vector based maps (both are supported by Locus). I asked Gaia if they use vector maps (which have many advantages over bitmap based maps). They said ummm yes, there are some vector maps...but which one? Don't know exactly...However, I looked at all their maps and all require from you to select the zoom level when downloading. Therefore, these are not vector maps. All of them without a vector map or vectorized data behind you can't do automatic turn-by-turn navigation) offline). That is the reason why many apps need an internet connection for automatic turn-by-turn navigation.
You have so many maps availabe, especially the great OpenandroMaps (which are also available for Orux and other...but not for Gaia Android). Map handling is so easy and you can download complete countries by just selecting them (how many complete countries can you download with Gaia and store them offline? Have you ever tried?). With Locus I carry the whole of Europe and a few North African countries always with me (you'll never know! Take the wrong turn in the night and whoops you're in Ksar Ghilane!). In addition...all of these countries in three different maps: Locus Map, Openandromaps and Google Hybrid Satellite. Try that with other apps (I would assume that Orux is maybe able to do that. I consider Orux maps as the app which come sclose to Locus Map, but difficult to use, also very confusing.

Third, the navigation functions like straight line navigation and the route planner. Especially the route planner is the best I have ever seen. It is able to lead you from waypoint to waypoint by straight line navigation (if you left the original route it always directs you back). You can even turn recorded tracks into turn-by-turn navigation (with speech support) or create your own turn-by-turn route (with speech support). Not that I need it, but it is possible. Locus supports offline automated turn-by-turn navigation.

Also the search function is very powerful. With Gaia you can only search in the Gaia universe. That's it. Locus can use Google or other search engines to get geographical data back from the whole Internet. The results can be used as waypoints immediately. You can download (if available) additional information for every point you choose. You can search for coordinates in so many formats (DMS, DDM, DD, +/-DD, UMTS, MGRS and many more)....have you tried to search coordinates with Gaia if it is not the geographical format? In addition, with Locus you can find waypoints by using other mechanisms like projection.

Another big + is the data organization and visualization. I can choose different colours and shapes for each and every object or the group it is in or global. I can set the tracks of others in red while mine are blue, easy by just changing the folder setting. I can put tracks together to one track (for example if you want to summarize all of your tracks of one week into a single one). I can put a small arrow symbol in a track or route, so I can see in which direction it was (should be) driven (helpful when you left it and come back to it later). I can even change a track to a, for example, 300 m wide transparent corridor with a black border at the left and the right. When you're in a competition like the Superkarpata you can use that to stay in the allowed driving corridor, as the track is displayed as a corridor with borders.

It also has web planning functions (Gaia was first here, but Locus exceeded that in the meantime) and offers automatic synchronization across all devices with Locus Map you use. By using these functions you also have an automated backup (beside a dedicated backup function).

It also benefits from a strong supporting community. The software comes from the Czech republic and the manual is one of the best I have ever seen. The community (and meanwhile fixed supporters/members of the Locus team) take care about a very good translation. The manual uses the same symbols as the app to navigate you to your area of question. The most important things are in the beginning of the help text and it goes down to more and more deep stuff for intereted parties. Well balanced between what you need to know and technical details.

All in all, Locus Map is a complete, big full-size navigation app which you would expect on a PC. You can add your own maps, paper maps and calibrate them. You can design your own user interface

Uh, that were more than three things....BTW, three....Locus supports what-3-words...

But the best thing was....I planned a tour for my Land Rover forum. We were 40 cars, so I divided us in four groups of ten cars. The first car of each group was the "Scout" which lead the group and he became the track of 217 km.
Friday in the late evening I worked on the track on my PC with the OziExplorer or QuoVadis. I added notes to each waypoint if there was a turn to follow to support the scout. When I exported that as a GPX file and imported it to Locus all these notes were gone. I wrote an E-Mail to Michal from Asamm (the maker of Locus Map) asking him if that is an error and went to bed.

When I got up on Saturday and turned on my Smartphone there was an update for Loucus available. I installed it, read the release notes and found....that notes where added to waypoints. I did the export from my PC to GPX again and the notes were available. I handed out the GPX file to my scouts.....and since then I wait for a feedback...but we never saw each other again.

AWo

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the insights. They match with my findings when I was looking for a capable on- and off-road navigation application.

Some competitors were knocked out at the very first requirement I was looking for: A rubber-band navigation like the GPSMAP 278 had already 20 years ago.

Secondly, layered maps. I want to be able to overlay, say, elevation-lines. They tell me a lot about a road, a landscape or the narrowness of a valley and thus the to be expected light conditions, temperatures and the like.

Third, free maps from various sources.
Forth, vector maps.
Fifth, offline maps.
Sixth, highly configurable.
Seventh, PC-based planning aid.
And there is eighth, ninth, tenth ....

And so on.

I don't know the details of all the other navigation systems. Some may have this or that, but none does have all of the Locus-Maps features.

And finally, compare the bang for the buck. Locus Map easily wipes the competitors off the table.

It's a very clear decision for me.

But that''s not the topic of this thread. I think, everybody can make a personal must-have list, can compare and then decide. That's a not worth a thread, IMO.

But getting the grips of Locus Maps is a more demanding task.and thus worth a group-discussion, I think.

But I have to admit: If I'm the only one on this forum, it doesn't make any sense. In this case I'm probably better off in the Locus Maps Forum.

But it's certainly too early for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom