The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen Wipers

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
05/06 farm spec Triton (cheap as bits ute) has wipers that literally push everything to the edge and off nearly the higher the blade goes up the screen. Why Ineos why - in the 2020s?

Attachments

• 20230224_123708.jpg
    20230224_123708.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 41

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
It is just geometry. Not an ineos fault or problem. Theres only so many curves to swipe a rectangle, this one is maxed out already.
i got in my defender after seeing the muddy triangle photos, and noticed exactly the same unwiped area, for the first time in 25 years. Never, ever been inconvenienced by it.
with a more square windscreen, fuller wiped area is possible. All the complex wiping systems with more moving parts add complexity and failure points, but no real benefit if the driver can see. The windscreen is relatively short (vertical height to width ratio) because it suits the car type, ie reduces sun in, breakable area, maximises corner visibility compared to a more sloping, therefore ‘taller’ screen.
like the footrest it is a non problem once you start driving. If these thinngs are big issues, then other cars, many many other cars will be better alternatives.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is just geometry. Not an ineos fault or problem. Theres only so many curves to swipe a rectangle, this one is maxed out already.
i got in my defender after seeing the muddy triangle photos, and noticed exactly the same unwiped area, for the first time in 25 years. Never, ever been inconvenienced by it.
with a more square windscreen, fuller wiped area is possible. All the complex wiping systems with more moving parts add complexity and failure points, but no real benefit if the driver can see. The windscreen is relatively short (vertical height to width ratio) because it suits the car type, ie reduces sun in, breakable area, maximises corner visibility compared to a more sloping, therefore ‘taller’ screen.
like the footrest it is a non problem once you start driving. If these thinngs are big issues, then other cars, many many other cars will be better alternatives.
We will see how the Footrest goes on long haul haha. As to wipers - plenty of cars have dodgy wipers and it doesn't affect your driving comfort - so most won't care. Plenty of people say, 'buy another car' - which does not mean the design flaws/potential are non-existent. There are not many good 4X4 on the market - pretty silly to think there is 'many many'. Just saying. Maybe one or two in reality will meet the spec..

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not being dismissive, just realistic that some peoples choices will give them better options.
All of the ‘serious’ 4x4 have all always had many design consequences that require users to work with them/understand them/put up with them. Real defenders, 70 series, patrols, even g wagons. Most are uncomfortable, often punishing physically (series LR and 70 series have country hospital wings names after them). At best, these things become part of the character of the cars we even learn to love.
the grenadier is light years better for comfort. But the design is still a balance. And the whole reason for the market gap is exactly this - keeping the balance focussed on utility, ability, durability.
the footrest could have been fixed, either with a 4 cylinder engine, or lengthened engine bay, which would have lost either power or interior cabin space. This is a balance I understand, and think they can defend. Wipers, same. Simple vs complex.
without any judgement, for people who feel these balances are not for them, there are very many options, SUVs by the dozen.
if you definitely want a ‘proper’ 4x4, then literally all the alternatives, in production or not, have at least as many, and mostly way more design compromise we have to love, live with or somehow cope. defender handbrake, im looking at you!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not being dismissive, just realistic that some peoples choices will give them better options.
All of the ‘serious’ 4x4 have all always had many design consequences that require users to work with them/understand them/put up with them. Real defenders, 70 series, patrols, even g wagons. Most are uncomfortable, often punishing physically (series LR and 70 series have country hospital wings names after them). At best, these things become part of the character of the cars we even learn to love.
the grenadier is light years better for comfort. But the design is still a balance. And the whole reason for the market gap is exactly this - keeping the balance focussed on utility, ability, durability.
the footrest could have been fixed, either with a 4 cylinder engine, or lengthened engine bay, which would have lost either power or interior cabin space. This is a balance I understand, and think they can defend. Wipers, same. Simple vs complex.
without any judgement, for people who feel these balances are not for them, there are very many options, SUVs by the dozen.
if you definitely want a ‘proper’ 4x4, then literally all the alternatives, in production or not, have at least as many, and mostly way more design compromise we have to love, live with or somehow cope. defender handbrake, im looking at you!
If the wipers are obstructing our view.... just tilt head left a bit! ;) - I mean the footrest will already be supporting the left leg so a little more tilt to the left wont be a problem for anyone in the RHD! I feel sorry for the LHD not having our footrest!
Didn't think you were being submissive - although I do write abrasively! :devilish:

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If the wipers are obstructing our view.... just tilt head left a bit! ;) - I mean the footrest will already be supporting the left leg so a little more tilt to the left wont be a problem for anyone in the RHD! I feel sorry for the LHD not having our footrest!
Didn't think you were being submissive - although I do write abrasively! :devilish:
I naturally tilt my head to the right a bit, this should straighten me up nicely.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
In my old 911 the default was to have the wipers park towards the driver's side. The rationale being if you get splashed by a passing car , puddle etc the direction of sweep instantly cleans the crucial area.
Some people reverse the setup , mainly for aesthetics , it really doesn't affect day to day visibility, even on track.
Here is the LHD 911 Walter raced in Targa Tas in 2011; note wiper position
Porsche has always made arguments of this kind, practical and nonconformist, such as the ignition key on the left for rapid start-up in the old 24 hours of Le Mans, not to mention air cooling (lube?). Be that as it may, the wipers on my 964 turbo leave large wet windscreen spaces, but even at 270 km/h they have never been a problem. At most, for purists, it is clear that the originals have four holes on each blade, while the not OEM but identical Bosch have three. Reason for the value of a classic car to plummet. :ROFLMAO: I wonder how all this fits in with the Grenadier's usual complaints of lack of spartanity!
If you look carefully, the right blade is detached by several millimeters from the glass, all in a car that cost 180k dollars in 1990...

Attachments

• 964turbo_2010_03_06-23.jpg
    964turbo_2010_03_06-23.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly! Submissive - ohhhh the old typo corrector on the phone!!!

PS: Are you submissive? We all are! We are buying a car not even able to be driven yet!
Am right handed, but use the phone with my left ear. Never could understand why people hold the phone in their right hand, when they just know they have to write stuff down.
My wife would call me submissive…

Back
Top Bottom