The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen Wipers

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
That would have been a great idea. However, it might cause other problems, as the wipers are then permanently in your view. Here is an example:

View: https://youtu.be/1H2q_BtO6kY
I haven’t seen rain since Oct and probably won’t til after Easter so woukd rather the wiper not be in full view all the time. 😎🧑🏻‍🌾🌞

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Concerning the gaps in the Grenadier’s windshield wiper coverage, here’s a Youtube video about all sort windshield types, made a Brit obsessed with windshield wipers. (There are even sections on what looks like an old IIA rover. Who else but a Brit would make a video like this?(home of train spotting).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi6nuEDKDI

@ 0.38 a rear wiper with pantograph arm. Two of these could clear a lot more of the windshield.
@ 3.16 a truly strange and complicated arm (MB?)
@4.57 a wonderfully whacky headlamp washer
@ 5.50 another pantograph arm
@ 6.37 a set of pantograph arms on a boat, which if flipped top for bottom might do s great
job (and please, please no unsynchronized wipers: @ 0.31 )\

And finally an animated engineering diagram:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2q_BtO6kY

Buses with big flat windshields generally are fitted with pantograph arms.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
I noticed that when I watched the same review.

It may be that the company is British and the companies owner is English but the IG is very definitely an after thought for the RHD market.

Most of the things brought up by the reviews don’t count for LHD vehicles.

Annoying to say the least.
As said elswhere here: That's the revenge for the drivers seating position in the LHD Defender. LR designed the RHD first and put _no_ effort in the design of the LHD.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So you would end up with a larger dirty patch that you would have to duck to see under
Do you think this could be a decision based on someone's height or lack of it?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think this could be a decision based on someone's height or lack of it?
I don't judge people on their height
As far as I am concerned if somebody wants to identify as tall then they are tall.
If they choose to identify as short it doesn't matter if they are in the Harlem Globetrotters (do they still exist?) they are short.
So please don't bring your bias into this discussion

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Follicly challenged, statue challenged, waist challenged, large right foot, I'm getting a complex, perhaps the grenadier isn't right for me.
I believe it gives the Grenadier character and a personality. Nobody is perfect and I don't expect my Grenadie to be the same.

@DaveB At this stage I'm not sure whether I'm a LHD or a RHD wiper kind of guy. I guess I'll need to wait till I've taken delivery and can enjoy it.

P.s @Ineosaud Where is my contract 😥

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Harlem Globetrotters (do they still exist?)
I'm not sure if they exist, but even if so, anyone under the age of about 30 has no clue who/what they are. It's such a timely comment though, as we were looking at photographs taken by Heinz Kluetmeier just the other day, and there was a photo of Meadowlark Lemon from 1973 and the students (14-17 YO) had absolutely no clue who or what the Globetrotters were. Like no clue whatsoever. Since we're the Global Grenadiers, we should support the team!

harlem-globetrotters.jpg

DuncanR

Production/Transit
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
I wonder whether the LHD has the same trouble with the wipers cleaning the side of the windscreen (in this case the left side of the windscreen next to the A-pilar).

The problem has been mentioned in some test reviews for the RHD (on the right side, next to the A-pilar). It can also be seen in the attached screenshot (taken from the review of The Late Brake Show).

View attachment 7802843
3 wipers could sort that problem

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
3 wipers could sort that problem
Not necessarily. Triple wipers are only an option on wider, narrower windscreens like the FJ Cruiser for example. In order to increase the horizontal sweep on the Grenadier, you would also have to lose some of the vertical coverage. Then there is the fact that you're adding 50% to the overall complexity of the system. And replacement wipers are generally sold in pairs, so that spare one you might get buying 2x sets will be old and hard by the time the next lot need replacing.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
They'd have to move the pivot point closer to the edges, and the way they designed the hood hinge, it's impossible. So we just have to live with it.

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
In my old 911 the default was to have the wipers park towards the driver's side. The rationale being if you get splashed by a passing car , puddle etc the direction of sweep instantly cleans the crucial area.
Some people reverse the setup , mainly for aesthetics , it really doesn't affect day to day visibility, even on track.
Here is the LHD 911 Walter raced in Targa Tas in 2011; note wiper positionView attachment 7802894
You sold this??? 😲

Back
Top Bottom