The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen wipers effectiveness

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
Here in Germany, we are using less and less granular salt and more aqueous salt solutions. In my opinion, this is even worse for the vehicles. This slurry runs everywhere.
Here in 'straya we salt some roads all year round. That stuff gets everywhere ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217-175411.png
    Screenshot_20240217-175411.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240217-175336.png
    Screenshot_20240217-175336.png
    2 MB · Views: 37

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
I am really surprised by all your feedback. My original windscreen wipers have done an excellent job so far. Neither snow nor heavy rain have been a problem, even in sub-zero temperatures.
Same with me, even after nearly 20,000 miles and 3 windscreens.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Here in Germany, we are using less and less granular salt and more aqueous salt solutions. In my opinion, this is even worse for the vehicles. This slurry runs everywhere.
No doubt including water courses. Either way the grit or slurry evenually splashes into places and cavities on vehicles hastening their early demise.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
No problems with the wipers after 23000 km, but I agree the spray of washer fluid isn't high enough. I had also to ask to replace the nipples, as they didn't spray anymore (was in August).

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No problems with the wipers after 23000 km, but I agree the spray of washer fluid isn't high enough. I had also to ask to replace the nipples, as they didn't spray anymore (was in August).
Possibly related... My rear washer stopped working after the first few uses. I mentioned it to my agent to add it to the list for my next visit. He advised they have had this fault on another vehicle. The washer additive had turned to jelly in the bottom of the tank which then blocked the hose and jet so they had to flush it out.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Possibly related... My rear washer stopped working after the first few uses. I mentioned it to my agent to add it to the list for my next visit. He advised they have had this fault on another vehicle. The washer additive had turned to jelly in the bottom of the tank which then blocked the hose and jet so they had to flush it out.
Yeah, my rear washer has stopped working as well

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So are you guys suggesting that draining and replacing the washer fluid would be good practice?
Perhaps there’s an additive in it more suited to colder climes that doesn’t agree with warmer temps?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So are you guys suggesting that draining and replacing the washer fluid would be good practice?
Perhaps there’s an additive in it more suited to colder climes that doesn’t agree with warmer temps?
Hard to say. My #1886 VIN sat in a yard for a few months during the early QC batch and hold that occurred. The amount of debris trapped in the corner of the gutters suggests it wasn't stored inside. Did the additive spoil during that time? It may be worth a check of the fluid and look for cloudy lumps, or just do a precautionary drain and fill and move on.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My front wipers were skipping and a little noisy. I turned then up to full speed for 5 minutes and things seem to have settled down and they are now working properly.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To start with it was horrifically appalling. Skipping and squeaking away, this has bedded in somewhat and now is as I would expect, pretty quiet and not skipping. In the rain I find the wipers ok, not spectacular but they do their job well enough with enough swept screen area for my tastes. I've not had any snowfall yet so can't comment on that.
I thought the stock wipers were excellent - until I used them in sub-freezing conditions. There are several unswept spots on the windscreen left completely untouched by the blades. I'll see if they bed in now that temps have warmed slightly.

Washer fluid seems to be excellent and quite potent for winter use - Sept. 2024 build, Jan. 2024 pick-up.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I used mine yesterday swear it was aiming at the top of the windshield and even the roof 😂

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I ended up ordering Rain-X 830116 Silicone Wiper Blades. Apparently these work really well even for cars that have a windshield protection film.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am really surprised by all your feedback. My original windscreen wipers have done an excellent job so far. Neither snow nor heavy rain have been a problem, even in sub-zero temperatures.
I think it depends on the outside temperature and driving conditions. If you driving in conditions that are more prone to ice/sludge build up - the wipers are really horrible. The top arc ends with a lot of ice build up, this is coincidently right in the center of my field of view.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What windshield protection film do you have?

I have not decided if I am getting one or not. I have someone who usually installs tint/ppf and he does not recommend any windshield protection film. He told me that he has not come across any that meet his expectations.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to take the wipers off? The manual mentions a retaining clip, but I can't figure out where it is.

Back
Top Bottom