The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen wipers effectiveness

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to take the wipers off? The manual mentions a retaining clip, but I can't figure out where it is.
Just flip the plastic cover off and at the end of the u bend, use your thumb to pry open the clip whilst pulling the wipers off at the same time.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
I’m quite content with my wipers. Today though, I noticed something for the first time. Has anyone else experienced this?

When my wipers are on the normal setting and I’m driving, they trundle along at a nice pace. When I stop at a light, however, their pace changes and they seem to be on a “delay” setting despite me not changing anything. Once I pull away from the light, they automatically return to their normal pace. I’ve never noticed this on any other vehicle.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m quite content with my wipers. Today though, I noticed something for the first time. Has anyone else experienced this?

When my wipers are on the normal setting and I’m driving, they trundle along at a nice pace. When I stop at a light, however, their pace changes and they seem to be on a “delay” setting despite me not changing anything. Once I pull away from the light, they automatically return to their normal pace. I’ve never noticed this on any other vehicle.
How odd?! But it almost makes sense...Ill be testing/checking for this on my next drive

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score

This screams out for a video…..

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score

I noticed something similar too: start-stop function enabled, means my rear wiper can't be used, when my motor stopped. I understand: save the battery!

UncleBuck

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

I can confirm this happens. I had another car that did this (can't remember what make/model).

I think the idea is if you have the wipers on low while moving you only need the intermittent speed when at a stop.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed today that with start/stop activated and at a stop light the front wipers work but when i remove my foot from the brake and the vehicle starts back up the front wipers hesitate and resume normal operations once moving

Edit: as of today (Mar 6th) my wipers did the same as Krabby’s. Had them in low speed mode and stopped when I was at the light. Started back once i began moving. Due for more rain tomorrow so will try to get video

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
My wipers on my new defender does that too. I find it annoying and find myself messing with the wipers.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I have not experienced this, however, I am a big fan of the adjustable intermittent wiper mode ;)

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
ive now fitted the Bosch AR16U aero blades to the front and it makes a huge difference in performance, so much better, the smudged part at the top of the screen wipes clear now.
I’ve also changed the rear to a Bosch SP15U and this is also better but you’ve got to remove the spare wheel to do it which is a real pain!
the issue I now face is the washer jets, they are not good and at 70mph, do not reach the top of the screen which does cause smearing if you dontdeluge the screen. Hard to believe that a serious off-roader would have pathetic washers, do they think we all drive in perfect conditions?
Thanks so much for the heads up on what Bosch wipers will work.vehicle is nearly one year old and it’s in the sun a bit. Front drivers wiper speaks occasionally so when it went in for 1 year service I got a quote from local Aussie agent on OEM wiper replacement - quoted as just over $500 AUD for the front pair !!!! Needless to say I declined. Will be installing Bosch!!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the heads up on what Bosch wipers will work.vehicle is nearly one year old and it’s in the sun a bit. Front drivers wiper speaks occasionally so when it went in for 1 year service I got a quote from local Aussie agent on OEM wiper replacement - quoted as just over $500 AUD for the front pair !!!! Needless to say I declined. Will be installing Bosch!!
OMG, that equates to £257!!! That is crazy, the wipers were absolutely crap and I threw them in the bin. What in the world have part prices come to, no wonder our car insurance is rocketing.

The best wipers, are hybrid Denso for £12. They don’t drag on the edges. Took me seconds to put on.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score

My LR3 does this too but could be the sensors on the LR3 windshield.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I ended up ordering Rain-X 830116 Silicone Wiper Blades. Apparently these work really well even for cars that have a windshield protection film.
An update for everyone after using these for a while, I am happy with them overall. They clean well through out the entire arc and seem to leave the windshield more 'clear'. Sometimes they are a little noisy when the windshield is a bit dry.

I also compared the physical dimensions between the OEM blade and these. It is worth noting that the rubber on the OEM blade is longer and a little more substantial. The housing on the OEM blade is also sturdier and has better quality material.

Back
Top Bottom