The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windscreen Durability

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here and loving the informative discussions.
Seriously considering trading my two year old New Defender for a Grenadier.
This is probably a tricky question with so few vehicles in use and in different locations and environments, but….
When I’m facing my fifth replacement screen with only 24,000 kms on my lovely new defender, I’m wondering if anyone can advise on the durability of the screens on the IG? One of my screens lasted a week and only 1200kms!
The IG dealer tells me they are triple laminated and made by the same manufacturer as the Defender. This is not overly inspiring to be honest.🙄
I’m sure we have a particularly bad problem with this in NZ due to poor road maintenance and volcanic sharp substrate which is regularly flicked up by our ever present truckies!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
This is probably a tricky question with so few vehicles in use and in different locations and environments, but….
When I’m facing my fifth replacement screen with only 24,000 kms on my lovely new defender, I’m wondering if anyone can advise on the durability of the screens on the IG? One of my screens lasted a week and only 1200kms!
The IG dealer tells me they are triple laminated and made by the same manufacturer as the Defender. This is not overly inspiring to be honest.🙄
I’m sure we have a particularly bad problem with this in NZ due to poor road maintenance and volcanic sharp substrate which is regularly flicked up by our ever present truckies!
The windscreen is flat and very upright.
I am guessing unless you change where you are driving you better tick the replacement windscreen option on your insurance policy

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s probably too early to tell, but the Defender ones seem to have a habit of just cracking by themselves just sitting still. There have been a couple of reports of cracks, but from memory with verifiable and reasonable cause. My Agent says they have stock of them already which hopefully means if you do have an issue they can be resolved without too much delay. As Dave says the upright flat design does suggest some potential vulnerability but time will tell. Would be hard to be worse than a New Defender on that score. I am having a coating put on mine which supposedly reduces glare and UV and helps protect against chipping etc, does it work 🤷‍♂️

Vote:
Upvote 0

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
The Wrangler has an optional Gorilla glass windshield, I wonder if we could get one for the Gren.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AWo

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
You should explain why you needed to change the windscreen. Had they been exchanged just because you're driving or where stones, bikes, flower pots, horses, a house or similar thrown to it.

In our 110 three screens needed to be exchanged in a short period of time even the screen is not part of the structural strength. That is different to the new Defender. The reason was that small stones thrown by cars driving in front hit the screen I an area where damages are not accepted when you go to the technical inspection)

AWo

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I've followed the new Defender story and seen what appears to be an abnormal number of windscreen issues. Whether it's just a statistical anomaly or indicative of a issue with the windscreen/vehicle is hard to say.

We'll have to wait to see the numbers reported with the Grenadier, adjusted for the much smaller number actually out there, to see whether it's an issue and whether it could can be traced back to a common supplier.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You should explain why you needed to change the windscreen. Had they been exchanged just because you're driving or where stones, bikes, flower pots, horses, a house or similar thrown to it.

In our 110 three screens needed to be exchanged in a short period of time even the screen is not part of the structural strength. That is different to the new Defender. The reason was that small stones thrown by cars driving in front hit the screen I an area where damages are not accepted when you go to the technical inspection)

AWo
Hi AWo
All screens had to be replaced due to major cracks from stone chips. First one was two months after delivery. Latest was the one that only lasted a week and 1200kms - a small stone off a Toyota Highlander in front driving at 65kph. NOT a high momentum impact.
I have finally managed to hear the words “design issue” from the dealer . In more detailed words it’s probably due to the more vertical windscreen position which does of course give the vehicle its lively “boxy” looks. This feature is exacerbated by all the stones on our roads and the huge number of trucks travelling them at high speed.
If we could specify a non-heated screen in this country the I think the issue could be resolved. Sadly as all models are of the higher spec this windscreen option is not available! 😞
I guess this might be the “Gorilla” variant mentioned above. 🤷🏼‍♂️
In considering the Grenadier I’m hoping it’s a thicker (not heated) triple laminate screen but I guess only time will tell.

Vote:
Upvote 0

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I fear that you can not get any substantial information regarding this question in the first year of production. At least if there isn’t a big quality topic which till now nobody mentioned.
In absence of volcanic substrates I only can assure you that till now no fly, wasp or bee has damaged my windscreen

Vote:
Upvote 0

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi AWo
All screens had to be replaced due to major cracks from stone chips. First one was two months after delivery. Latest was the one that only lasted a week and 1200kms - a small stone off a Toyota Highlander in front driving at 65kph. NOT a high momentum impact.
I have finally managed to hear the words “design issue” from the dealer . In more detailed words it’s probably due to the more vertical windscreen position which does of course give the vehicle its lively “boxy” looks. This feature is exacerbated by all the stones on our roads and the huge number of trucks travelling them at high speed.
If we could specify a non-heated screen in this country the I think the issue could be resolved. Sadly as all models are of the higher spec this windscreen option is not available! 😞
I guess this might be the “Gorilla” variant mentioned above. 🤷🏼‍♂️
In considering the Grenadier I’m hoping it’s a thicker (not heated) triple laminate screen but I guess only time will tell.
The grenadier screen is not heated, and is apparently particularly thick, info passed on from Ineos.
We wont know for a while, and dirt roads obviously mean more breaks. However, at least its small, flat and has no sensors for wipers, cameras,, radar or heating. Defender has most of that going on….

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is a guy in the village I live in with a new Defender, the windscreen cracked while he was washing it. JLR would not change under warranty because there was a chip in that caused the crack apparently 🤔

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The grenadier screen is not heated, and is apparently particularly thick, info passed on from Ineos.
We wont know for a while, and dirt roads obviously mean more breaks. However, at least its small, flat and has no sensors for wipers, cameras,, radar or heating. Defender has most of that going on….
Although it looks flat, I think the Grenadier windscreen has a curve towards both side edges (this one with some chips to the edge):
first-contact-we-got-hands-on-with-the-ineos-grenadier-p1-and-p2_20.jpg

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
In 6000 miles, I have had a few things bounce off the windscreen, including a particularly stupid pheasant and a slow pigeon. I don't think the pheasant survived the experience of hitting the plumb centre of the windscreen at about my 60mph and its 25-30mph.

I now have a very small chip from a flying rock that scared both of us - I'm arranging to get it sealed.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Gruntly

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My grenadier has just done a 5500km road trip to North Queensland and I’m afraid the windscreen was the first casualty with a the first rock strike quickly turning into a 75mm long crack. Two other rock strikes on the trip and I will be up for a replacement shortly. Perhaps more a reflection on our roads.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's quite surprising that they say that.
  1. there are 3 layers visible (1 and 3 being glass, 2 being a kind of plastic foil in between)
  2. the windscreen is slightly bent
  3. How can they deform the glass without heating? > therefore it is heated!
20230811_124640 layers.jpg

Look at this video where the process is described.
I had the "luck" in my very early career as a Quality Management Consultant to work in a windscreen manufacturing plant in Charleroi (Fleurus) of the Glaverbel group. The process hasn't changed that much since then.
Look at this Youtube video how they manufacture it.

Vote:
Upvote 0

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, to avoid confusion and arguments over tiny details, can i clarify my intent in observing
the windscreen being ‘flat’ - ie basically not a sweeping curve,
and not heated, ie devoid of elements carrying currents, and
without radar etc,
is to suggest that it may be both relatively low cost, to make and to ship (we hope), and low cost to fit, being small, and not requiring replacement, or fitting of cameras/radars, and re-calibration of same.

no one knows how it will cope with the real world yet, but if the above were more like most modern cars, the cost is much higher.

And Jean, yes, it is tempered, and laminated, like all windscreens. So it was heated, but the trick is actually in how it was cooled…

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dave F

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have now done about 4500 miles in my Grenadier. Unfortunately I collected two chips is a week , one from a lorry and the second one from an Defender 110 !
Both on motorway drives , the flat and very upright screen does seem to have an effect.
I went through my insurer and three weeks later I'm still awaiting the new screen which they have had to order through an Ineos dealer.
Any information / advice on protective films etc would be useful as I think it may be something we will have to live with.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is a guy in the village I live in with a new Defender, the windscreen cracked while he was washing it. JLR would not change under warranty because there was a chip in that caused the crack apparently 🤔
Man, that takes the biscuit!
I have a great insurer with a zero excess that allows for multiple replacements in any time span. (I actually asked if they would do one a month and they said yes, but it might raise some eyebrows)
I’m sure over time though that these insurers or underwriters will soon start asking questions in susceptible countries like ours.
I also believe there’s a class action suit in the US dealing with the windscreen issue 😳😆

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Man, that takes the biscuit!
I have a great insurer with a zero excess that allows for multiple replacements in any time span. (I actually asked if they would do one a month and they said yes, but it might raise some eyebrows)
I’m sure over time though that these insurers or underwriters will soon start asking questions in susceptible countries like ours.
I also believe there’s a class action suit in the US dealing with the windscreen issue 😳😆
He got the windscreen replaced with his insuarance but had to pay the excess. Trying to get JLR to pay up was a no go. 👍🏼

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have now done about 4500 miles in my Grenadier. Unfortunately I collected two chips is a week , one from a lorry and the second one from an Defender 110 !
Both on motorway drives , the flat and very upright screen does seem to have an effect.
I went through my insurer and three weeks later I'm still awaiting the new screen which they have had to order through an Ineos dealer.
Any information / advice on protective films etc would be useful as I think it may be something we will have to live with.
This is what my Agent is offering, no idea how good it is but it came with a package of stuff, window tinting, ceramic coating etc that was ultimately good value so I took it.

IntegraSheild

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is what my Agent is offering, no idea how good it is but it came with a package of stuff, window tinting, ceramic coating etc that was ultimately good value so I took it.

IntegraSheild
"Our formula molecularly alters the surface of the glass, making it stronger and able to withstand more abuse than untreated glass. Using propriety nano-chemistry originally developed for the space program, IntegraShield penetrates deep into the micro crevices of glass, chemically bonding to its surface. IntegraShield creates a molecular bond that seals microscopic surface pores."

Hey if it works, it works, but can’t help thinking the website spiel sounds like lines from a first order snake oil salesman.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom