The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
I had a Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero in Spanish speaking countries ;-) ) ... fantastic car with a soul, won some Dakar rallies (not my model of course).

And I fell in love with 4X4 as a passenger of a Toyota Land Cruiser, the early one, somewhere in 1984:
View attachment 7821808

It is like which woman you think is pretty:
  • the one with blond hair and blue eyes
  • the one with black hair and dark eyes
Personal taste ;)
That’s a great looking rig. Perhaps I should qualify my statement and suggest that contemporary Asian vehicles. I’m sure lots of FJ40s and GT2000s have real souls.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
I had a Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero in Spanish speaking countries ;-) ) ... fantastic car with a soul, won some Dakar rallies (not my model of course).

And I fell in love with 4X4 as a passenger of a Toyota Land Cruiser, the early one, somewhere in 1984:
View attachment 7821808

It is like which woman you think is pretty:
  • the one with blond hair and blue eyes
  • the one with black hair and dark eyes
Personal taste ;)
I have had a Pajero and currently have a Pajero Sport, both very reliable and capable vehicles, neither lit anything in my soul. I have driven many of that era of Toyotas as my wife’s family were from farms out West and had then as utes/pick ups. Very capable very tough and very agricultural I admit they have some character but uncomfortable as hell

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
I looked at the 300 but the GX is too poverty spec and needs about another $30K - $50K spent on it for bar work, lockers, battery etc.
Plus I can't accept the disclaimer that the vehicle spec and price is likely to be different when you finally get it.

View attachment 7821710
Are you kidding? My mate had FR airlockers and a compressor fitted to his toyota at ARB for 5k last year. I reckon you'd get FR airlockers, a dual battery system and a bar for 15k. Probably throw in your uhf and a rack for that.

So that's still significantly cheaper than my grenadier price plus with a known support and dealership network.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking that the Nissan Patrol needs a good investigate. Yes it's a thirsty petrol but they have some large tank options already available. I don't do that much driving but when I do I need range and its conceivable it will have plenty.

With the nearly 50k difference between that and my grenadier spec I suspect I can certainly add a few bits to make it work.

The 2024 US version of the prado will be revealed on August the 2nd so will be watching to see what they do. Apparently our version will be revealed later this year.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/20...veal-date-landcruiser-returning-north-america

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are you kidding? My mate had FR airlockers and a compressor fitted to his toyota at ARB for 5k last year. I reckon you'd get FR airlockers, a dual battery system and a bar for 15k. Probably throw in your uhf and a rack for that.

So that's still significantly cheaper than my grenadier price plus with a known support and dealership network.
Yes I agree.
By the time you add that $5K + $15K to the $101,123 it comes to $121,123
My Grenadier order is $121,116 on the road.
It has FR lockers, bull bar, side bars, side steps, dual battery, front and rear tow bars, K02 tyres, leather seats, Safari windows, hi-load wiring, etc etc with a 5 year factory warranty.
It doesn't have Toyota dealership network or support. So you are completely correct, that has a value to it.
The real intangible is the personal appeal of the vehicle.
To many people the vehicle is just a means to an end. It is purely transport to get where they want to go.

1690777374799.png1690777552803.png

Local time
Reaction score
Yes I agree.
By the time you add that $5K + $15K to the $101,123 it comes to $121,123
My Grenadier order is $121,116 on the road.
It has FR lockers, bull bar, side bars, side steps, dual battery, front and rear tow bars, K02 tyres, leather seats, Safari windows, hi-load wiring, etc etc with a 5 year factory warranty.
It doesn't have Toyota dealership network or support. So you are completely correct, that has a value to it.
The real intangible is the personal appeal of the vehicle.
To many people the vehicle is just a means to an end. It is purely transport to get where they want to go.

View attachment 7821830View attachment 7821831
For the same price I would definitely take the grenadier. However since I wanted to test drive before I committed and wanted to give them time to sort the bugs, I'm now on the new prices which puts my grenadier at 130-140 (depending on how much fun stuff I leave out). And then I've still got to sort a host of issues with things like bigger tanks etc. If they keep doing price rises like they have my grenadier will be 150k or more by this time next year. LOL.

Even 120 IMHO is too much to spend on a car I'm going to beat up in the bush let alone 150. I think I'm more likely to go for the Patrol which will won't be much over 100. I might even investigate some cheaper options like the pajero sport or prado. I could keep the defender and buy one of those and still be well ahead.

Oh well.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For the same price I would definitely take the grenadier. However since I wanted to test drive before I committed and wanted to give them time to sort the bugs, I'm now on the new prices which puts my grenadier at 130-140 (depending on how much fun stuff I leave out). And then I've still got to sort a host of issues with things like bigger tanks etc. If they keep doing price rises like they have my grenadier will be 150k or more by this time next year. LOL.

Even 120 IMHO is too much to spend on a car I'm going to beat up in the bush let alone 150. I think I'm more likely to go for the Patrol which will won't be much over 100. I might even investigate some cheaper options like the pajero sport or prado. I could keep the defender and buy one of those and still be well ahead.

Oh well.
I posted on here ages ago about a mate of mine in Tasmania who had a Kingswood Vacationer Station Wagon back in the late 1980's
He looked for replacements but the two options were the Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon Wagons.
He wasn't going to buy a Ford and the Holden was about 30% smaller.
He opted instead for a full rebuild of his own car.
Suspension, bushes, brakes, engine, paint and interior.
I think if you could find a reasonable older 4WD and do the same you would end up pretty happy.

1690785345902.png1690785405730.png1690785466337.png

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Oh well.
If you’re looking at ’plan b’, then:
keep the defender, strictly for what it is brilliant at. All the desert and offroading stuff. Nothing else can outclass it still.
buy a couple of other cars, that are brilliant at what they do, to make sure you are not in the defender as often (this makes its comfort compromises much more endearing when on holidays). So, a city car, tiny, zippy etc etc, and maybe either a sporty one, or something cruisy for longer range on road - there’s so much to choose from that is really cheap. No need for new…
you could get 2 cars for 30k total easy, and spend a little more on rego each year. Miles ahead, and grinning in every vehicle.

driving a 100k car offroad is slightly nuts, no matter what it is. Only makes any sense over a very long time, or if you’re at the part of life where you’re learning not to save all the time, but rather to spend a little on what you love… but it’s still nuts.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you’re looking at ’plan b’, then:
keep the defender, strictly for what it is brilliant at. All the desert and offroading stuff. Nothing else can outclass it still.
buy a couple of other cars, that are brilliant at what they do, to make sure you are not in the defender as often (this makes its comfort compromises much more endearing when on holidays). So, a city car, tiny, zippy etc etc, and maybe either a sporty one, or something cruisy for longer range on road - there’s so much to choose from that is really cheap. No need for new…
you could get 2 cars for 30k total easy, and spend a little more on rego each year. Miles ahead, and grinning in every vehicle.

driving a 100k car offroad is slightly nuts, no matter what it is. Only makes any sense over a very long time, or if you’re at the part of life where you’re learning not to save all the time, but rather to spend a little on what you love… but it’s still nuts.
Your last sentence is a good one.
Yesterday at 3pm my 87 year old neighbour went out to check his crab pots.
He didn't come back and everyone was searching, chopper in the air for hours.
Lunchtime today they found his body under a bridge about 3 kms upstream.
Assuming he has had a heart attack or slipped and hit his head.
Once you get a certain age you have to focus on what makes you happy.
While it is sad that he is gone, it is also good to know he died doing something he enjoyed, rather than sitting at home or in a hospital waiting to die.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If you are reasonably sensible it carries risk , but isn't nuts. Risk is lessened by the right equipment and a grownup's approach to life and limb.
If you drive like those guys with 5-10k bush bashers on chewed up tracks , well the wallet will rapidly lighten.
If you are paying a mortgage , raising children and want non motoring holidays , 100k is a lot of money for most.
It makes far more sense to buy something 1/2 that and add mods over time, as can be afforded.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you are reasonably sensible it carries risk , but isn't nuts. Risk is lessened by the right equipment and a grownup's approach to life and limb.
If you drive like those guys with 5-10k bush bashers on chewed up tracks , well the wallet will rapidly lighten.
If you are paying a mortgage , raising children and want non motoring holidays , 100k is a lot of money for most.
It makes far more sense to buy something 1/2 that and add mods over time, as can be afforded.
… I mean nuts in the nice way, not the silly way. The English call it eccentricity, hopefully we all get some version of the joy of hobbies, joi de vivre, whatever. But it’s not a rational thing, doesn’t need to be.
Dave, hope you guys all get to celebrate his life well lived. Vale.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
… I mean nuts in the nice way, not the silly way. The English call it eccentricity, hopefully we all get some version of the joy of hobbies, joi de vivre, whatever. But it’s not a rational thing, doesn’t need to be.
I say to people , "you do your thing and I'll do mine" :giggle:

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave, hope you guys all get to celebrate his life well lived. Vale.
mate . I know the family will miss him but how could you not feel good for a guy who's last hours on earth were spent doing something he has enjoyed for the last 70+ years.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nar, raise the kids, spend the hard earned on a Gren, try and keep it in good knick for as long as possible! :ROFLMAO:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Nar, raise the kids, spend the hard earned on a Gren, try and keep it in good knick for as long as possible! :ROFLMAO:
Did that with a semi loaded Landcruiser ($65k in 1998) kept it 12 years. Car was boring as all hell but "shoulda kept it"...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Your last sentence is a good one.
Yesterday at 3pm my 87 year old neighbour went out to check his crab pots.
He didn't come back and everyone was searching, chopper in the air for hours.
Lunchtime today they found his body under a bridge about 3 kms upstream.
Assuming he has had a heart attack or slipped and hit his head.
Once you get a certain age you have to focus on what makes you happy.
While it is sad that he is gone, it is also good to know he died doing something he enjoyed, rather than sitting at home or in a hospital waiting to die.
Sad, but in my books at 87 a truly magnificent way to go, only possibly exceeded by silently in your sleep after a fabulous meal with nice wine and a single malt with family and friends.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sad, but in my books at 87 a truly magnificent way to go, only possibly exceeded by silently in your sleep after a fabulous meal with nice wine and a single malt with family and friends.
As my father said (and he was quoting someone else): "I don't mind dying - I just don't want to be there when it happens!"
Not being a whisky drinker , I'm expecting a final dark ale , later followed by a trip on the carpet whilst going for a 3 a.m. pee, followed by a velocitous extramuralisation from this earth as a result of the injury.
Though I'm not sure that qualifies as "but he died doing what he loved"

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
There was no alternative...if the Grenadier wasn't created I wouldn't have another 4x4 in the quiver...I have my Grenadier Trialmaster now at home...I have driven on the highway from pickup to home...a little run in the rainforest nearby to feel the centre lock and low range but nothing silly until I feel comfortable with the fact that I not going to stuff up...little steps but big excitement and more to come...finding its feet and space has not been hard it is easy to maneuver..the steering is fantastic once you get the gist...like anything new, you have to start fresh don't think what it should be like but what it is like and you will get the hang of it more enjoyably...what footrest?...seating position, is not just jump in and go and without telling you how to suck eggs, I am pretty happy where I am with a lot of different options but I am able to see the front corners so sitting quite high...I will give more thoughts and images on the appropriate posts...have done 200klms with all the bells and whistles with a big smile...and yes the tyres have been reversed ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpg
    IMG_6426.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom