The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hello from Hesse / Rhine Main Area Germany.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
Just check the prices.

For the first time I'll stay with the BMW dealer. Depending on how things develop, I will later do the maintenance myself and with the help of a friend.

Luckily I have the mandatory Italian 2 Km from here, he is from the Naples region. A very small though professional workshop to which I have a close and personal connection. He has a lift and all the tools for OBD diagnosis as well as the infrastructure you need for such work. And in anonymous workshop tests we have here in Germany from time to time, he's was rated 'very good' and 'good'.

He's one of those which e.g. repair and weld a muffler if it makes sense - instead of just buying a new one, thus giving it another three or four years of life.

And his prices are from last century. :)

I know that he is a really good mechanic and more importantly I can work with him together.

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
While I indeed agree with your point of view, you are missing an important fact: it is Ineos who define which dealers/garages/services are accepted as warranty compliant.

So my question for a better solution is still open. If you have one, I'm happy to follow it.
That is not quite correct. INEOS designates partner dealers and partner workshops. But they don't tell you which of these partners to go to.
As soon as the map of dealers and service workshops was published, I got into my old Land Rover and visited the dealers in the area. Just by looking at the people, I knew where I was. It was mostly the big dealers who didn't like the fact that I parked my series right next to the e-models. I won't go into details now. But there were also some who greeted me with "Those were still cars". And now guess who showed me the workshop and was looking forward to seeing me.
And I think one or two of them might even weld my exhaust pipe.
I think we understand each other. The important thing is to be respectful and honest. Then other ways can be found.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> That is not quite correct.

I think it is. "Which dealers/workshops/services are accepted as eligible for warranty" does not mean which particular dealer, but what type of dealer or workshop I can choose.

You probably don't know what dealerships are like in Germany. A BMW dealership looks just like any other BMW dealership: white shirts, dark blue suits, white building, same design inside and out. Even the toilets are identical. If you want to become a BMW dealer, you must meet the corporate identity requirements imposed by BMW. The same goes for Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and all other car dealerships in Germany, at least for the top German brands: there is no visible difference between them from which one could make out “different people behind it”.

So it is actually Ineos that defines where to go. Whether car dealership "Müller" or "Schmidt", there is no discernible difference for someone who has never been a customer there.

With regard to workshops, it was announced that Bosch Service Centers would also be included: the same applies: if you know one, you know all of them. Without exception, these are all large companies, where you can never enter the work area and under no circumstances can you look over the shoulders of the mechanics: You have to stay in the customer area, sit on leather arm chairs and drink Apollinaris or espresso from the coffee bar and watch their boring product videos. Besides, I haven't heard of a single Bosch subsidiary in Germany who'd even know what a grenadier is.

However, there are a very few workshops that are not BMW dealers and I wish there was one close by. But 'Coburg' (there is a 4x4 service afaik) is a few hundred kilometers from me, and there is no other such workshop closer than this one. I think the closest was 'Matzker', but they consider themselves exclusive and bang, you have prices like BMW.

I (and most of the other Grenadier buyers) don't go to BMW because we like their prices. As explained, there is simply little choice (as long as the Grenadier is still quite new).

And so my question for a better solution is still "still open". As said: If you have one, I'm happy to follow it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
> That is not quite correct.

I think it is. "Which dealers/workshops/services are accepted as eligible for warranty" does not mean which particular dealer, but what type of dealer or workshop I can choose.

You probably don't know what dealerships are like in Germany. A BMW dealership looks just like any other BMW dealership: white shirts, dark blue suits, white building, same design inside and out. Even the toilets are identical. If you want to become a BMW dealer, you must meet the corporate identity requirements imposed by BMW. The same goes for Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and all other car dealerships in Germany, at least for the top German brands: there is no visible difference between them from which one could make out “different people behind it”.

So it is actually Ineos that defines where to go. Whether car dealership "Müller" or "Schmidt", there is no discernible difference for someone who has never been a customer there.

With regard to workshops, it was announced that Bosch Service Centers would also be included: the same applies: if you know one, you know all of them. Without exception, these are all large companies, where you can never enter the work area and under no circumstances can you look over the shoulders of the mechanics: You have to stay in the customer area, sit on leather arm chairs and drink Apollinaris or espresso from the coffee bar and watch their boring product videos. Besides, I haven't heard of a single Bosch subsidiary in Germany who'd even know what a grenadier is.

However, there are a very few workshops that are not BMW dealers and I wish there was one close by. But 'Coburg' (there is a 4x4 service afaik) is a few hundred kilometers from me, and there is no other such workshop closer than this one. I think the closest was 'Matzker', but they consider themselves exclusive and bang, you have prices like BMW.

I (and most of the other Grenadier buyers) don't go to BMW because we like their prices. As explained, there is simply little choice (as long as the Grenadier is still quite new).

And so my question for a better solution is still "still open". As said: If you have one, I'm happy to follow it.
I don't want to have a fundamental discussion here and I don't want to unsettle anyone.
My statement was simply that everyone has to decide for themselves which dealer and which workshop suits them best and they may well differ.

As I said, I have visited dealers and talked to them. Believe it or not, some of them responded to my needs, e.g. to be present in the workshop. In this context, I promised them that I would also have the maintenance for the rest of my fleet carried out by them.
And, they are not BMW or Mercedes dealers!
INEOS had suggested one to me when confirming the order. I selected the dealer I wanted in the selection box. This selection was confirmed and I have already received an invitation for September.

With this, I would also like to end the discussion I started regarding dealer selection.
One last statement: If I lived near Manchester, Halliwell Jones Chester would be my first choice! And that's a BMW dealer! As I said, it's the attitude that matters to me, not the brand! All the best and thanks Steve!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> Halliwell Jones Chester would be my first choice
I agree, excellent address. (y)

For the rest: As the Grenadier is an absolutely new and yet unknown car, brand and model, I have chosen my dealership from the Ineos suggestions. Later, if the Grenadier turns out not to be problematic, I'll probably go to 'my Italian' as decribed above.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Hi all, I am Klaus and new to this forum.
Already configured - not yet ordered - discussing with a Dealer in Maintal / Hesse (Krah&Enders) to see a Grenadier in reality.
A few things - my spouse is somewhat 160cm in length - and "entry-level" to not so tall persons and how to enter is a topic an if a step is supplemental to be ordered. So I want to see in reality what I will get, final price and emissions and what equipment is in.

Okay, why I am interested in Grenadier? I am a hunter (not professional) , mostly on boar (wild pigs /sus scrofa) , need trailer towing capability, some occasional forestry operations, so definitely to be used and not a shopping vehicle or show car like many Mercedes Benz G Brabus.. I need one vehicle that serves all requirements offroad, but also on road requirements such as shopping, and occasional office tour. (90% homeoffice). No business drive ( rental car when needed) and last but not least some touring and vacation to Scandinavia, CZ, HU. The Grenadier will be configured to suit these needs. Rather Fieldmaster but some add ons auxillary battery, winch, perhaps to feed (telescopic) worklight at rear, if not available from options list an auxiliary heater (e.g. webasto) will be added later. Winter night at a high hide may be chilly, so a vehicle preheated and ready to go will result more comfort, but also in better emissions, lower consuption and engine wear out.

Currently owning a Land Rover Discovery Sport, comfortable, so far reliable, no issues in 160000kms and serviced on schedule. However now the drive chain need to be changed. Waiting already 6 weeks to get it replaced. Spare part unavailable. But it seems unavailability of spare parts is not a LR problem only. Same applicable even to Mercedes Benz and other local makes.

The LR is nice, but it lacks some capabilities and is far to much on road - even offroad lots better than many other in the same class.
Simply eager to see a production Grenadier asap.

Hope it meets my expectations.
Don't need ambilight, electric adjustable seats and other toys that are costly to repair. Expecting a workhorse with safety features and basic comfort.
If Grenadier should fail there are very few options left.
Jeep ? - Quality? MB G-Wagon ? Overpriced and unavailable. Ford Bronco? Hm.. what I saw 'til now doesn't convince me. Toyota in Germany makes a show of Hybrid and electric and eco-friendly impression. The other face of Toyota with real offroaders aren't sold in Europe. It would kill their image of an environmentally friendly company. (what they aren't) - I like Sir Ratcliffe's open marketing, going public early and a honest "this is what you get" approach.
This is what: I want a reliable, robust, multipurpose vehicle, simple to repair and long lasting, with acceptable range in europe and predictable cost of operations at a fair (neither cheap nor speculative) price. Hope the Grenadier finally meets all this.
Hi from Darmstadt. Waidmannsheil (form of greeting for hunters in Germany) I'm interested in how you will use your Grenny. How many hunters do we have here in the forum? Greetings Barney

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You could start a new Waidmannsheil thread?
Agree. A good, traditional title, I dare say. (y)

I'm not a hunter and as such not entitled to open such a thread. But I'd curiously follow it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi from Darmstadt. Waidmannsheil (form of greeting for hunters in Germany) I'm interested in how you will use your Grenny. How many hunters do we have here in the forum? Greetings Barney
@Barney Waidmannsheil!
I had my hunting training close to Darmstadt and of course trap basic and all the stuff at Kranichstein-castle
Its rather a castle than manor and not even close to be named a palace as it is literally translated.
perhaps @Jean Mercier is right we should create a hunters corner thread.
Seriously I do not know ho many members hunt.
Not in all nations hunting is regulated. I do not know how it is in US or Australia.. in Germany the claim/ territory system
where hunting is permitted on lease or hunt on own property. Also the license to hunt and test .. „green A levels“.
that is quite different elsewhere.
My Grenadier is expected to replace the current LR Discovery Sport HSE The Disco I use since first mile.. it was first my company car, bought it at end of lease. Its nice, comfortable and has also some off-road capabilities but still not for complex operation. and far to luxury to be used in the dirt. The Grenadier can be cleaned with a water hose inside..

I explained the reason in some articles in the forum already on what to use the IG: In hunting it shall do all daily jobs I have to .. repair work, track, trace, recover, feed, protect, conservation. The general purpose workhorse that shall help to serve as a hunters vehicle but also towing, vacation etc. For work I do not need a company car anymore despite the fact I could order another one.. but I dislike electric vehicles and if I should need some common car temporarily I would rent one. We possess anyway another one..

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
you guys indeed want a hunters thread .. I wouldn’t call it Waidmannsheil but indeed hunters corner..
it should reflect the needs of Rod n Gun owners fishing .. hunting..
@Stu_Barnes is this okay to open such a thread in the grenadier pub general purpose area?

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With great respect...I have hunted most of my life but this forum is geared to show only one trophy [I hope] and that is how we travel to and from, load, tow, sleep, eat, and all of the things associated with our pastimes...happy motoring in your Grenadier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
With great respect...I have hunted most of my life but this forum is geared to show only one trophy [I hope] and that is how we travel to and from, load, tow, sleep, eat, and all of the things associated with our pastimes...happy motoring in your Grenadier.
I stopped hunting 30 years ago.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think we all respect your position Max. As such, Klarie’s idea of a separate thread for hunting/fishing talk where you don’t need to visit is probably a sensible one.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think we all respect your position Max. As such, Klarie’s idea of a separate thread for hunting/fishing talk where you don’t need to visit is probably a sensible one.
Fortunately, I am mature enough to be able to handle the images that may be posted, unfortunately...I was never a trophy hunter and just don't think this is a brag forum, but all associated is fine in my world.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with you
I think members talking about using the Gren for hunting or fishing is no different to talking about using it for camping, hiking or whatever
It is however a topic that many people are sensitive to so a separate thread and then if you don't want to read about it don't go there.
If you do then go ahead and enjoy the camaraderie
Probably don't show pictures of dead animals though.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
you guys indeed want a hunters thread .. I wouldn’t call it Waidmannsheil but indeed hunters corner..
it should reflect the needs of Rod n Gun owners fishing .. hunting..
@Stu_Barnes is this okay to open such a thread in the grenadier pub general purpose area?
Yep it is. I’ll create a sub forum when I get to my desk but for now just start your thread and I’ll fix it later in the week. :)

Back
Top Bottom