The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
I can't understand this mentality... that it's OK to beat up a $100k vehicle in the bush, but not $120/150k
Well.. damaging a 100k vehicle in the bush is insane. Damaging a 150k one in the bush is really insane.. IMHO. When I really set on a grenadier to replace the defender the indications were it was going to be 80k plus onroads. Which I thought was crazy but YOLO. And now it's pushed beyond my comfort level. And here we are.

My defender is covered in dents from trees and sticks which fly up on remote tracks. Every bit of the panel damage has been taken off road. I've repainted the underside like three times now because all the paint gets rubbed off.

It's in really good condition for a defender of it's age because I've always cared about it. I think it's always been driven carefully

So if I bought a grenadier I'd either have to just accept the damage or change how I use the car.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Well.. damaging a 100k vehicle in the bush is insane. Damaging a 150k one in the bush is really insane.. IMHO. When I really set on a grenadier to replace the defender the indications were it was going to be 80k plus onroads. Which I thought was crazy but YOLO. And now it's pushed beyond my comfort level. And here we are.

My defender is covered in dents from trees and sticks which fly up on remote tracks. Every bit of the panel damage has been taken off road. I've repainted the underside like three times now because all the paint gets rubbed off.

It's in really good condition for a defender of it's age because I've always cared about it. I think it's always been driven carefully

So if I bought a grenadier I'd either have to just accept the damage or change how I use the car.
Check your insurance.
Any damage that isn't reported to them may void your insurance, particularly if not repaired.

Local time
Reaction score
If you’re looking at ’plan b’, then:
keep the defender, strictly for what it is brilliant at. All the desert and offroading stuff. Nothing else can outclass it still.
buy a couple of other cars, that are brilliant at what they do, to make sure you are not in the defender as often (this makes its comfort compromises much more endearing when on holidays). So, a city car, tiny, zippy etc etc, and maybe either a sporty one, or something cruisy for longer range on road - there’s so much to choose from that is really cheap. No need for new…
you could get 2 cars for 30k total easy, and spend a little more on rego each year. Miles ahead, and grinning in every vehicle.

driving a 100k car offroad is slightly nuts, no matter what it is. Only makes any sense over a very long time, or if you’re at the part of life where you’re learning not to save all the time, but rather to spend a little on what you love… but it’s still nuts.
Thank you James.. I think that's going to be the answer.

We've done a few minor upgrades on the defender recently which has helped a little with it's liveability. I can honestly say It's going as well as it ever has.. maybe better which is a testimony to simple design. I've got other cars to drive around in and I don't really drive that much. So we've got no particular urgency with all this.

I've got another double desert crossing in 7 weeks which was another reason why I didn't want a grenadier yet (They don't have the fuel range at this point). Anyway I'll take the defender for that (this will be it's 8 simpson crossing amongst the many other destinations). We will have a think about it on the way home. Maybe there are some simple mods I can do to make it more pleasant.

The issue that is in the back of my mind is it's 18 years old now, I probably won't be retiring for another 10 years. Which means it's busiest (hopefully) time may well still be ahead of it. And it's getting pretty old.

Stuff to think about.

BTW don't think I'm missing out valuable life experiences by not buying a grenadier. The defender is going to be driven across the Desert as my support vehicle while I ride a fatbike (pushbike) race across the desert. Which I've already done once I'm doing OK. :D

If you're bored I did this for a short film festival. You'll see flashes of the loaded defender in there.

Local time
Reaction score
Check your insurance.
Any damage that isn't reported to them may void your insurance, particularly if not repaired.
They are just minor dings dents and scratches. All normal in a 4x4 that gets used off road. it was all done one stick/tree at a time.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you James.. I think that's going to be the answer.

We've done a few minor upgrades on the defender recently which has helped a little with it's liveability. I can honestly say It's going as well as it ever has.. maybe better which is a testimony to simple design. I've got other cars to drive around in and I don't really drive that much. So we've got no particular urgency with all this.

I've got another double desert crossing in 7 weeks which was another reason why I didn't want a grenadier yet (They don't have the fuel range at this point). Anyway I'll take the defender for that (this will be it's 8 simpson crossing amongst the many other destinations). We will have a think about it on the way home. Maybe there are some simple mods I can do to make it more pleasant.

The issue that is in the back of my mind is it's 18 years old now, I probably won't be retiring for another 10 years. Which means it's busiest (hopefully) time may well still be ahead of it. And it's getting pretty old.

Stuff to think about.

BTW don't think I'm missing out valuable life experiences by not buying a grenadier. The defender is going to be driven across the Desert as my support vehicle while I ride a fatbike (pushbike) race across the desert. Which I've already done once I'm doing OK. :D

If you're bored I did this for a short film festival. You'll see flashes of the loaded defender in there.

The guy who bought my Silver D3 a few years ago was using as support for a Simpson bicycle race.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@DesertGecko I think you're wise in sticking with what you have and know for now.
10 years ago I was interested in buying a newish Defender but they seemed overpriced and compromised.
Then prices of used ones went silly , and I wasn't getting into a competitive buying situation. I watched that happen with old 911s.
I reckon give it at least 2-3 years and reassess your circumstances.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe that could be the one that had the air suspension failure and had to be recovered. :(

Air suspension is awesome when working.
Yes agreed it is awesome, I had no urgent problems with it, I did have to replace a compressor as it was getting slow. But that vehicle is now 15 years old so the risk increases. If I hadn’t sold it I was going to add a kit that allowed you to isolate each airbag and manually inflate with a compressor.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
10 years ago I was interested in buying a newish Defender but they seemed overpriced and compromised.
Ha, I remember those days. "Overpriced" is a problem that time seems to have a way of solving.
[those complaining about Grenadier pricing take note]

I wonder what buying advice we'd give to our ten-years-ago selves?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Buy old cars , maintain them yourself and with the money you save , wait for an angel bearing a Grenadier.
Well it's worked for me. Sort of.

Local time
Reaction score
Ha, I remember those days. "Overpriced" is a problem that time seems to have a way of solving.
[those complaining about Grenadier pricing take note]

I don't think I can justify it now. If it continues to become more expensive, I can't see how the situation will have changed. :D

I delayed my purchase because I am still deeply scarred from a BMW I bought many years ago which should have had prototype written on it. Similar story, new design, new workforce, new factory, new management. It started with gremlins from day one, and they didn't stop for the whole time we owned the car. It wasn't always the big things.. it was a continual barrage of stupid stuff. The lesson I'll always take from it though is the cars got better quickly. Within 12 months they were markedly improved. Within 2 years people bought them and they were awesome.

Other interesting points were the very first handbuilt prototype cars were actually better built then mine, and it was the first cars built "on the tools" that were disasters.

So my caution made me miss out. Oh well. Everyone is a product of their experiences. There is always a chance that the price might be dropped, or it might fall in relative terms. Price elasticity is a thing. It's a competitive market. I'm not in a rush.

Never say never, but don't be afraid to move on either.

EDIT: I really do hope that Ineos have built a solid thing that won't have issues for all the people who have one, or one on the way!

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
So my caution made me miss out. Oh well. Everyone is a product of their experiences.
What happens to you doesn't matter but what you become from the experience is all that is significant...you show frustration and blame pricing and try to find alternatives...I feel for you but there is light at the end of the tunnel...you haven't missed out... you are just on hold...and so is your Grenadier...happy motoring with your old girl... ;) you keep her nice

Local time
Reaction score

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are the Diesel particulate filter dramas from the Hilux motor a free accessory for the 70 series? :)

His comment in the video about going to Aliexpress to buy new headlights was amusing.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
ugh... it's so easy to throw rocks, but

damn, what a depressing place to have to spend time in 2023

1690959619957.png

Toyota 2031 facelift dash? :

1690959769489.png

Back
Top Bottom