The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
So what would be the conclusion? G63?
I was overtaken today while I was doing 30mph+ on a residential street in my lorry, by no other than a G63.

It was Black, had black wheels, tinted windows, and had raised lettering on the number plate. (private plate too)

This unfortunately is pretty standard behaviour for the types that buy them here in Essex, and for this reason, i wouldn't drive one even if it was 1/4 of the price.

I'll leave the G63s to the rappers, footballers and drug dealers.

G Professional is another story....

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
The Australian perspective (and requirements) makes me feel like we Americans are dressing up in costumes to go play. I am not an off road expert but there is almost nowhere in the lower 48 where anywhere you go could easily be your last trip. Vast deserts and distances with deadly reptiles, insects, and marsupials. In short, the consequences are harsh if you aren’t prepared in Australia.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
I was overtaken today while I was doing 30mph+ on a residential street in my lorry, by no other than a G63.

It was Black, had black wheels, tinted windows, and had raised lettering on the number plate. (private plate too)

This unfortunately is pretty standard behaviour for the types that buy them here in Essex, and for this reason, i wouldn't drive one even if it was 1/4 of the price.

I'll leave the G63s to the rappers, footballers and drug dealers.

G Professional is another story....
It is the same here.

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
The Australian perspective (and requirements) makes me feel like we Americans are dressing up in costumes to go play. I am not an off road expert but there is almost nowhere in the lower 48 where anywhere you go could easily be your last trip. Vast deserts and distances with deadly reptiles, insects, and marsupials. In short, the consequences are harsh if you aren’t prepared in Australia.
Come out west sometime. Vast deserts, remote wilderness, no cell reception, surprise snow storms in July, deadly reptiles, insects, mountain lions, bears, wolves, etc. If you aren't fully prepared, best not to leave the cities.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
Come out west sometime. Vast deserts, remote wilderness, no cell reception, surprise snow storms in July, deadly reptiles, insects, mountain lions, bears, wolves, etc. If you aren't fully prepared, best not to leave the cities.
Great deserts out there, and not to be underestimated. The big difference, wherever, comes down to being in or out of (helicopter) rescue range, and/or choppers being available.

Last edited:
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Great deserts out there, and not to be underestimated. The big difference, wherever, comes down to being in or out of (helicopter) rescue range, and/or choppers being available.
We run into that in the mountainous areas. Can't get a chopper into a lot of places. Plus being American, a heli rescue will bankrupt you and your family 😭

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I grew up in Utah. Spent a lot of time in the Uintah mountains. Nearly met my maker a handful of times due to less than great planning. There is no doubt that the western US is the big league. I was born in Fairbanks, Alaska; and that’s a whole other level of serious. Maybe I see Australia differently simply because it IS so different. But your point is well taken. Getting away from cities/Eastern US is excellent advice. I miss the feeling and awe that I felt so regularly in Utah.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I grew up in Utah. Spent a lot of time in the Uintah mountains. Nearly met my maker a handful of times due to less than great planning. There is no doubt that the western US is the big league. I was born in Fairbanks, Alaska; and that’s a whole other level of serious. Maybe I see Australia differently simply because it IS so different. But your point is well taken. Getting away from cities/Eastern US is excellent advice. I miss the feeling and awe that I felt so regularly in Utah.
As a landscape painter, Utah is def on my 'to visit' list, spectacular country!

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Defender?
I did consider the Defender @Sam. Base cost for the most basic diesel 110 I could find was comparable, but it was missing a lot of features that were standard in the Trialmaster. Adding them would have significantly increased the price as landrover aren't backward with their option pricing.

Tomato

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I’d not considered the new Defender, its styling seemed so contrived. Its looks annoyed me on launch and they look worse now. I dont think it’ll age well either. I think many of us are looking to keep our Grenadiers for a very long time > classic looks will age well

I’ve been in one, felt great, the owner also said it was great off road too.

Also met another new Defender owner who was over in the UK from the Gulf for the summer who thought his plate hilarious as he “liked sluts” Nice. You just don’t get that quality of owner with the old stuff. 😉 Photo attached.

My old RR behind. Of course I didnt think of doing the world a favour and accidentally running him over.

Too much CCTV

Attachments

• 7620DC8C-0240-4C83-8B9C-770C2BADD33B.jpeg
    7620DC8C-0240-4C83-8B9C-770C2BADD33B.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 71

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I did consider the Defender @Sam. Base cost for the most basic diesel 110 I could find was comparable, but it was missing a lot of features that were standard in the Trialmaster. Adding them would have significantly increased the price as landrover aren't backward with their option pricing.
Missing features should include replacing the brakes on all corners to get rid of 20’s and put on 18’s? Sooo stoopid of LR.

I had a New Defender ordered but cancelled once id had time to ponder this. Generally, so much extra to spend to get it comparable with my puma 110.

Grenadier by comparison is superbly spec’ed from the factory

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Missing features should include replacing the brakes on all corners to get rid of 20’s and put on 18’s? Sooo stoopid of LR.

I had a New Defender ordered but cancelled once id had time to ponder this. Generally, so much extra to spend to get it comparable with my puma 110.

Grenadier by comparison is superbly spec’ed from the factory
Yeah when you actually start to configure a new Defender, this whole idea of it being the same price as the Grenadier goes out the window! plus Land rovers idea of "offroad tires" is laughable

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah when you actually start to configure a new Defender, this whole idea of it being the same price as the Grenadier goes out the window! plus Land rovers idea of "offroad tires" is laughable
Agreed. I specced a New Defender with some basic packages to get the full offroad and towing capabilities and it came to $160k (and there have been I think two price rises since then.) and it still didn’t have Bullbar,side protection bars, winch, front diff lock roof bars driving lights dual batteries, additional pre wiring to roof etc that my Grenadier will come with for $126k (pre price rise)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After my experience with Land Rover’s “customer service” when I had my old lemon Freelander 1, I trust them less than Jeep Australia. Would NEVER touch a modern Land Rover product again.
I know we speak “different” English, but isn’t Lemon is synonym for Freelander? 🤣

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
IMHO there is very little that I would consider as a viable alternative to the IG when I take my specific wants and needs into account.

Live axles and coils springs (Wrangler & G Wagen)
Straight six diesel with 180+Kw (?)
ZF 8spd auto (?)
Minimal electronics

I discounted the Prado and 300 series because of the IFS which is nice on road but a weak link off. I'd have a Ford Everest if it wasn't for the IFS and the Lion V6. I discounted Land Rover and Jeep because I have both and would not buy again. The new Defender is incredibly capable but like all other Land Rovers under engineered and too prone to issues (plenty of evidence out there). The Wrangler is an incredible, technical off road vehicle but not ideal for touring. I don't think I need to go into Jeep reliability and after sales backup!

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The only real utilitarian competitor is the 76 Wagon. Cheaper base price but complete rubbish compared to the Grenadier. 1970s basic interior, terrible tow vehicle, needs $20-30k spent to set it up right. Toyota shelved it during covid, taking orders now I think but a loooong wait.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
And the winner is.......:cool:

Back
Top Bottom