The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wind Noise with fitted INEOS light bar - help!

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
Last weekend was my first long motorway trip in the new Fieldmaster. However after an hour I struggled to carry on as I couldn’t deal with the whistling wind noise that, I’d guess, is down to the light bar, fitted as per the order, with the 2 cross bars. When I collected the car the front cross bar with the light bar attached was sitting right on top of the safari windows- so they couldn’t open, so I asked they moved it forward. All good. The cross bar now sits as far forward as it can, which is (I guess) why the wind noise over 50-60mph is so bad.
My options are:
A) move the front cross bar back and block the windows from opening (no thanks)
B) ditch the light bar all together (no thanks)
C) buy a new more fitted light bar (black sheep?)
D) buy a deflector, although no idea if that’s going to solve the problem.

Anyone had similar any any ideas welcome.

Thank you.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
I believe I've read that someone moved the bar behind the safari windows. This cut down on glare from the hood and on the windshield directly, while still providing good light.

Give it a try first.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
Move the bar behind the safari windows as suggested, buy more Rhino Vortex rubber inserts and fill all the gaps in the bar (front/back/underside).

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sean

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I believe I've read that someone moved the bar behind the safari windows. This cut down on glare from the hood and on the windshield directly, while still providing good light.

Give it a try first.
I didn’t even think of that… thanks so much. Will give that a go.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sean

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Move the bar behind the safari windows as suggested, buy more Rhino Vortex rubber inserts and fill all the gaps in the bar (front/back/underside).
Thank you too.. really helpful and appreciated

Vote:
Upvote 0

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've just fitted Cross Bars and the forward one is noisy. When I installed them there are grooves top and bottom where you install a protective strip. The same groove is on the front which has no rubber strip, and I will buy some more of the rubber strip to fill the gap and hopefully reduce the noise.

In your case, I would certainly move it back to the B post.

Picture shows the slot that in my opinion will cause much of the noise and DRAG. Can get more pictures to prove the point.

IMG_0404.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Last weekend was my first long motorway trip in the new Fieldmaster. However after an hour I struggled to carry on as I couldn’t deal with the whistling wind noise that, I’d guess, is down to the light bar, fitted as per the order, with the 2 cross bars. When I collected the car the front cross bar with the light bar attached was sitting right on top of the safari windows- so they couldn’t open, so I asked they moved it forward. All good. The cross bar now sits as far forward as it can, which is (I guess) why the wind noise over 50-60mph is so bad.
My options are:
A) move the front cross bar back and block the windows from opening (no thanks)
B) ditch the light bar all together (no thanks)
C) buy a new more fitted light bar (black sheep?)
D) buy a deflector, although no idea if that’s going to solve the problem.

Anyone had similar any any ideas welcome.

Thank you.
Guessing it's too far forward. Had to buy a deflector from Yakima for my truck's cross bars for the same reason. If you can find a way to move it behind the safari windows you should be good.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If the dealer fitted your cross bars I would also recommend removing them and re-install as per the instructions. The legs on my bars were not installed at the right spacing which produced a bow in the bars and the gutter. There is a suggested spacing to first set the legs at, after putting them on the roof you then loosen the leg to bar bolts and allow the spacing to set correctly, then retighten. I believe most dealers (like mine) would not do the loosen & retighten step. This would not really affect the noise but worth doing if you are going to relocate the bars.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
That whistle noise is often produced by the groove‘s in the bars or rack. Putting a rubber seal in it is mostly the solution. But if you want to be sure before buying this seals. Try it first with some strong tape. Close the groove with some tape, and you will probably hear the difference already. Than, buy the seals for it.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, sorry to ask but where do I find your blog?
Link on signature. I just washed the car and added a 2 x spare rubber strips to either end of the slot and hopefully it will reduce the howl. Need to get some more.

23Dec23 - 4.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Link on signature. I just washed the car and added a 2 x spare rubber strips to either end of the slot and hopefully it will reduce the howl. Need to get some more.

View attachment 7836854
Hi Trialmaster,
where do you buy the rubber strips? I have tried unsuccessfully to find a dealer in Germany.

Vote:
Upvote 0

stuart1927

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I initially had just two rhino cross bars fitted to the rear half of the roof and wind noise was still quite noticeable. I now have 4 roof bars fitted with a roof top tent and wind is no worse. I think wind noise is just a fact of life for these cars and can imagine it would be pretty much impossible to eliminate it altogether.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
Vote:
Upvote 0

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Fitting instructions in Resources section of this forum under:
“Rhino Rack fitting instructions : English“

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sean

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update

I had to buy a decent torque wrench to unfit (and then hopefully refit) the front cross bar to move it back to above the B-pillars but.. and I should have checked all this before I started- with the INEOS fitted light bar attached under the cross bar there’s no where near enough clearance to attach it there.. the only area it’s going it fit on the car is either in the middle of the safari windows (so I then can’t open them) or more forward where the wind noise is too much to live with.
I can’t drive with either option, so for now the front cross bar’s in the garage and I’m stuck..

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update

I had to buy a decent torque wrench to unfit (and then hopefully refit) the front cross bar to move it back to above the B-pillars but.. and I should have checked all this before I started- with the INEOS fitted light bar attached under the cross bar there’s no where near enough clearance to attach it there.. the only area it’s going it fit on the car is either in the middle of the safari windows (so I then can’t open them) or more forward where the wind noise is too much to live with.
I can’t drive with either option, so for now the front cross bar’s in the garage and I’m stuck..
There are brackets available to mount the light bar at the same level as the bar.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom