The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Eezi Awn roof racks.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
The six brackets look a bit odd.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
The six brackets look a bit odd.
I see.

Each to their own I guess; I never considered that. To me they look like any other rack bracket that has to reach over a curved side.

Couldn’t accuse Eezi Awn of not putting enough brackets on though; and they need to allow access to the 4 external power points.

Reactions: CB

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A spider rack, so to say.

;)

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I unbagged one of the Eezi Awn brackets to size it up on my Grenadier whilst at APB’s workshops.

One thing for certain is that they’re definitely NOT “a bit thin”. They’re proper chunky with decent size fixings, and appear to be well (powder) coated.
Eezi Awn aren’t new to Overland equipment; they’ve been around for longer than most of their competitors; and being South African, they’ve built their kit for the home market first & foremost.

It’s all too easy to judge kit by looking at pics, but wait until you have a good look at the actual product before making your mind up. Check out APB’s offerings if you’re within range.

I’ve looked at a Frontrunner and dismissed it immediately due to its lack of longitudinal rails. They could’ve at least put a couple on to join up all the crossmember slats. That’s going to be one noisy rack, unless you opt for a 3/4 length version, set back from the wind blast. Their 3/4 rack could also do with an extra bracket on each side.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I unbagged one of the Eezi Awn brackets to size it up on my Grenadier whilst at APB’s workshops.

One thing for certain is that they’re definitely NOT “a bit thin”. They’re proper chunky with decent size fixings, and appear to be well (powder) coated.
Eezi Awn aren’t new to Overland equipment; they’ve been around for longer than most of their competitors; and being South African, they’ve built their kit for the home market first & foremost.

It’s all too easy to judge kit by looking at pics, but wait until you have a good look at the actual product before making your mind up. Check out APB’s offerings if you’re within range.

I’ve looked at a Frontrunner and dismissed it immediately due to its lack of longitudinal rails. They could’ve at least put a couple on to join up all the crossmember slats. That’s going to be one noisy rack, unless you opt for a 3/4 length version, set back from the wind blast. Their 3/4 rack could also do with an extra bracket on each side.
Hi to Phil and Heather at APB

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't like that one little bit. Ugly as sin.

I was tempted to fit a roof rack for a tent. However, I have decided to forget the idea, none of them look attractive.

I do like the APB drawers though. :)

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't like that one little bit. Ugly as sin.

I was tempted to fit a roof rack for a tent. However, I have decided to forget the idea, none of them look attractive.

I do like the APB drawers though. :)
I’m in agreement on the roof tent, particularly as I need the roof rack for work. Besides, it’s going to kill fuel consumption figures as well. My Force 10 tent is bigger, roomier, and packs up neatly (albeit over 20 mins at a rush!)

I’m pretty sure with the Eezi Awn K9 system you can also fit a table under the rack deck; something I’ll find quite handy for weekend use.

And yes, the drawers are fit for purpose. They’re not fancy, but definitely solid. I’ve posted pics and comments on their Big Country drawers, so won’t repeat myself, other than APB tell me that Big Country are addressing the lack of handles comments I’ve made, as I don’t like opening a laden drawer by the latch.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
Er….. in what sense?
Too long/short/high/low? Wrong colour?
It is too short and half covers the safari windows
That cross member looks incredibly close to the glass and I would worry first bump it would break.
Not to mention the support brackets look like they are made from 1mm thin metal, which is probably why they they need 12 of them to hold it up.
The bracket sits so high off the roof it looks like they have just taken an existing product rather than develop it to suit the grenadier.

1695148657922.png1695148791728.png1695149074021.png

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is too short and half covers the safari windows
That cross member looks incredibly close to the glass and I would worry first bump it would break.
Not to mention the support brackets look like they are made from 1mm thin metal, which is probably why they they need 12 of them to hold it up.
The bracket sits so high off the roof it looks like they have just taken an existing product rather than develop it to suit the grenadier.

View attachment 7827359View attachment 7827363View attachment 7827364
Hmmmm….. can’t have best of both worlds. In one case it’s too low (Safari windows), and yet it’s also too high. Which do you want?
With the Safari windows open to their stops, they can’t open any further unless you want to remove them, which entails retracting them a bit in order to release the retaining catch.

Personally I’m opting for a 3/4 length rack, so I can open and remove the Safari windows when required.

As for the brackets; you couldn’t be further from reality (no offence meant). They’re really chunky and solid. I’d say they weigh over 1/2kg each. Having six on each side would spread the load better than fewer. And I’d rather be looking at them, than for them.
The K9 type rack is a generic design, but made to fit particular vehicles.
The Grenadier rack is 1600mm wide as opposed to most 4x4’s where they’re a bit narrower.
It’s the height and bend on the brackets that are vehicle specific as well, particularly with the Grenadier.

The K9 rack also incorporates an optional attachment that allows their folding table to fit under the rack, hence the extra height that you alluded to.

Moreover, the closer a rack is to the vehicle roof, the more wind noise you get.
Eezi Awn are one of the few companies that wind tunnel test their racks (hence the longitudinal rails, as opposed to other manufacturers who have predominantly crossmember slats (ie not wind tested).

Eezi awn also fully weld their racks as opposed to shipping a box full of slats and a bag of nuts & bolts (all at risk of coming loose on harsher terrain than our silky smooth European roads).

Then there’s the dynamic weight issue, always a trade off. Heavy duty means less load capacity, lightweight less strength.

If you want a longer rack, have a chat with your Eezi Awn supplier, and they’ll contact the manufacturer and ask for a bespoke length.
Mine will be 1.8m as I don’t want the rack extending past the roof load strips.

Otherwise opt for the full length Rhinorack, but delete the Safari Window option as they’re not compatible with each other.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Eezi Awn K9 rack system is designed for many vehicles, so their awnings and other mountable accessories are compatible without the need for vehicle specific attachments and brackets (apart from the rack brackets which are indeed vehicle specific).

If you still can’t find what you want, then hop on a plane to Switzerland and have a gander at Black Sheep Innovations products. Their modular roof rack system will cost you both kidneys (as long as they’re healthy) before you’ve figured out how to ship it all back to Oz. Truly stunning kit.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmm….. can’t have best of both worlds. In one case it’s too low (Safari windows), and yet it’s also too high. Which do you want?
With the Safari windows open to their stops, they can’t open any further unless you want to remove them, which entails retracting them a bit in order to release the retaining catch.

Personally I’m opting for a 3/4 length rack, so I can open and remove the Safari windows when required.

As for the brackets; you couldn’t be further from reality (no offence meant). They’re really chunky and solid. I’d say they weigh over 1/2kg each. Having six on each side would spread the load better than fewer. And I’d rather be looking at them, than for them.
The K9 type rack is a generic design, but made to fit particular vehicles.
The Grenadier rack is 1600mm wide as opposed to most 4x4’s where they’re a bit narrower.
It’s the height and bend on the brackets that are vehicle specific as well, particularly with the Grenadier.

The K9 rack also incorporates an optional attachment that allows their folding table to fit under the rack, hence the extra height that you alluded to.

Moreover, the closer a rack is to the vehicle roof, the more wind noise you get.
Eezi Awn are one of the few companies that wind tunnel test their racks (hence the longitudinal rails, as opposed to other manufacturers who have predominantly crossmember slats (ie not wind tested).

Eezi awn also fully weld their racks as opposed to shipping a box full of slats and a bag of nuts & bolts (all at risk of coming loose on harsher terrain than our silky smooth European roads).

Then there’s the dynamic weight issue, always a trade off. Heavy duty means less load capacity, lightweight less strength.

If you want a longer rack, have a chat with your Eezi Awn supplier, and they’ll contact the manufacturer and ask for a bespoke length.
Mine will be 1.8m as I don’t want the rack extending past the roof load strips.

Otherwise opt for the full length Rhinorack, but delete the Safari Window option as they’re not compatible with each other.
Your first point was exactly my point.
They are both too high and too low.
They are also either too long or too short
So not designed to fit the vehicle
Having never seen them I will go with your comment that they are stronger than they look in the pictures.
I was looking at the front runner with first 3 slats removed but the Black Sheep platforms are growing on me.
I like the idea of being able to stand or sit on the roof and also the ability to load lots of timber and boards up there on the trip from the hardware store.
Just need some brackets at the front to mount a lazerlamps light bar/bars and still remove the Safari windows.
1695154181872.png

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
You are right about my suspect evaluation based on internet photos. However, I checked out a few Rhinorack accessories locally just to inspect quality first hand. Their auxiliary light tabs are quite substantial and by your account, they weigh even more than the Eezi Awn brackets!

I have suffered rack foot failures in the past, so my criteria is quite picky.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are right about my suspect evaluation based on internet photos. However, I checked out a few Rhinorack accessories locally just to inspect quality first hand. Their auxiliary light tabs are quite substantial and by your account, they weigh even more than the Eezi Awn brackets!

I have suffered rack foot failures in the past, so my criteria is quite picky.
If only Rhinorack kit was as easy to access here than it is in the US.
The racks are not available to purchase separately here (as far as I can tell).
And the 3/4 length rack won’t appear on Grenadiers until possibly the middle of next year.
When I asked my Grenadier supplier to order one for me, he came up blank and said there’s not even a part number for them yet, so no chance.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your first point was exactly my point.
They are both too high and too low.
They are also either too long or too short
So not designed to fit the vehicle
Having never seen them I will go with your comment that they are stronger than they look in the pictures.
I was looking at the front runner with first 3 slats removed but the Black Sheep platforms are growing on me.
I like the idea of being able to stand or sit on the roof and also the ability to load lots of timber and boards up there on the trip from the hardware store.
Just need some brackets at the front to mount a lazerlamps light bar/bars and still remove the Safari windows.
View attachment 7827370
Check out Eezi Awn’s website when you’ve got a cold one in hand.
Their instructional videos, although pretty dreadfully produced, do show that they’re strong enough to handle proper loads.

As for rack length; well, that’s entirely down to personal preference.

I’ve no use for a full length rack, and I’ve grown weary of wind noise and buffeting when driving my works van, to the point where I moved the rack 12” back to reduce the noise.

I think you’re going to struggle finding the right solution to wanting a full length rack, being able to utilise the Safari Windows, and to be able to attach a light bar.

The Frontrunner might work, but removing a couple of crossmembers is surely going to affect structural integrity. And sliding a nice chunky length of timber along your rack, only to discover your Safari window is poking over the rack deck, is going to end in blaming the wife!

So, Black Sheep Innovations it is then! Get those kidneys ready……

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If only Rhinorack kit was as easy to access here than it is in the US.
The racks are not available to purchase separately here (as far as I can tell).
And the 3/4 length rack won’t appear on Grenadiers until possibly the middle of next year.
When I asked my Grenadier supplier to order one for me, he came up blank and said there’s not even a part number for them yet, so no chance.
It was an Australian Company but now owned by Clarus from Utah
Sadly the same fate for Maxtrax

1695155935045.png

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7827375
Every day’s a learning day.
That explains why their products are nigh impossible to get here.

Hence our South African brothers jumping on the bandwagon and plying their trade here.

Incidentally, you might think my fanboy comments on Eezi Awn are down to being commercially involved in them, but sadly I’m not, and I pay the same for my accessories as everyone else.
I’m just impressed by their build quality, as well as their willingness to build to personal requirements.
The guys at APB have direct contact with the factory, so designs are being tweaked to suit the market as it evolves.

As soon as APB learned that the Grenadier 3/4 length rack wouldn’t be available until next year, they were measuring up my Grenadier and sending the data straight to the factory to make a batch of racks.

My understanding is that their 3/4 length rack will be 1900 x 1600mm (which to me is more like 4/5 length). It’ll stop just short of the rear of the safari windows.

I wanted 1800 x 1600 which ends at the front of the black plastic roof load strips. “No problem” came the reply from APB.
Measurements were confirmed that the crossmembers (where the support brackets bolt on) wouldn’t obstruct the auxiliary power points.

I believe their first batch of 3/4 length racks (and mine) are in the process of being loaded ready for shipping.
Hopefully it’ll be here by November.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7827375
Interesting, I did not know that. Apparently both will remain unchanged and operate independently as a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of Clarus, reporting into Clarus’ New Mobile Solutions Category.

Have you seen big changes since June 2021? If anything, US Matrix distribution has improved.

Back
Top Bottom