The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Eezi Awn roof racks.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
I’ve just been sent some pics of APB’s (Kidderminster) recently stocked Eezi Awn full length roof rack for the Grenadier.

Having already had a good look at them whilst having my Big Country drawer system fitted, they really are a cut above the current affordable competition (no offence to Black Sheep, but their kit is priced for a very wealthy clientele).
Fully welded too, so shouldn’t come apart once installed.
Longitudinal rails with cross members for bolting clamps to. This should mean less wind noise too.
All rails and outer rails appear to have T8 rail slots for attaching accessories. Two slots per rail, one per outer rail.

And for those who have Safari windows, but still want a full length rack, one of the pics shows the safari windows open (unlike with the Rhinorack/Ineos option).

There’s six gutter clamps on each side, so plenty of weight distribution, and the clamps don’t appear to obstruct the four auxiliary power socket covers.

Why haven’t I posted the pics?
I’m waiting for APB to give me the all clear to post the pics, as the vehicle is (obviously) a customer’s. However, hopefully the customer will drop a post in the forum, as his rack really looks the bollocks.

My 3/4 length rack is currently being loaded for shipping from South Africa, so hopefully will be here by November.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe they are better now but I had an eezi awn roof rack and the bolts ripped out of the slots on various attachments I had on the roof. Eezi awn are very light duty in my view.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting…
Was the aluminium too soft?
Having not tested one, I can’t comment, but the rack I had a good look at seemed pretty robust.
And the fact it was welded as opposed to self assembly caught my attention.

Having checked out a Frontrunner (with crossmember rails as opposed to longitudinal) I thought the Eezi Awn was much more robust.

Waiting for the Rhinorack 3/4 rack is not an option either, as we’re not going to see them until mid 2024, and I need a rack for use at work before then.

Black Sheep’s rack looks fantastic, but it’s looking like there won’t be much change from £3k once import duty, VAT and shipping is added.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting…
Having not tested one, I can’t comment, but the rack I had a good look at seemed pretty robust.

Having checked out a Frontrunner (with crossmember rails as opposed to longitudinal) I thought the Eezi Awn was much more robust.

Waiting for the Rhinorack 3/4 rack is not an option either, as we’re not going to see them until mid 2024, and I need a rack for use at work before then.

Black Sheep’s rack looks fantastic, but it’s looking like there won’t be much change from £3k once import duty, VAT and shipping is added.
I think too soft aluminium. I’ve had various kit fitted by APB inc bushtech canopy , auxiliary fuel tank, water tank etc. all good but there is no comparison in my view of the Ineos supplied rhino rack and the eeziawn rack. The Rhinorack is way more robust but also heavier.

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting…

Adding to that these roof rail brackets failed and cracked under bad off road conditions and corrugated roads. Easily replaceable but a week component IMG_0706.jpegI think it’s different on a Grenadier but the brackets sagged and rubbed on the drivers side door after a while if use.

Reactions: PBD

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think too soft aluminium. I’ve had various kit fitted by APB inc bushtech canopy , auxiliary fuel tank, water tank etc. all good but there is no comparison in my view of the Ineos supplied rhino rack and the eeziawn rack. The Rhinorack is way more robust but also heavier.
Fair comment. I appreciate your views too.

I guess that’s down to the user to decide if he/she wants a heavy rack with reduced dynamic capacity, or a lighter rack, possibly for lighter duty use.

For me, the deal breaker on the Rhinorack is that no one thought about being able to use the Safari windows. Granted, you can’t remove them with any full length rack, but with the Rhinorack, you can’t even have them open.
Eezi Awn have at least addressed this and offer that extra inch or so of clearance that enables the Safari windows to lock open.

My personal use of a rack will be for ladders and ally tower scaff, and occasional lightweight building materials, so I’m confident that the Eezi Awn will cope. If it doesn’t, then I’ll be returning it under warranty and go looking elsewhere; probably for the Rhinorack (3/4) if and when they finally land on UK shores.
Ineos don’t even have a part number for the 3/4 rack, so it’s going to be a long wait.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score

I guess that’s down to the user to decide if he/she wants a heavy rack with reduced dynamic capacity, or a lighter rack, possibly for lighter duty use.

For me, the deal breaker on the Rhinorack is that no one thought about being able to use the Safari windows. Granted, you can’t remove them with any full length rack, but with the Rhinorack, you can’t even have them open.
Eezi Awn have at least addressed this and offer that extra inch or so of clearance that enables the Safari windows to lock open.

My personal use of a rack will be for ladders and ally tower scaff, and occasional lightweight building materials, so I’m confident that the Eezi Awn will cope. If it doesn’t, then I’ll be returning it under warranty and go looking elsewhere; probably for the Rhinorack (3/4) if and when they finally land on UK shores.
Ineos don’t even have a part number for the 3/4 rack, so it’s going to be a long wait.
As I've mentioned elsewhere , Front Runner make an high quality 3/4 rack for the Grenadier. It has 8 support legs.
We've assembled it (Grenadier delivery is "imminent") and my wife commented that it's good value for money , especially if you expect loadability and durability in rugged encounters.
You get what you pay for.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As I've mentioned elsewhere , Front Runner make an high quality 3/4 rack for the Grenadier. It has 8 support legs.
We've assembled it (Grenadier delivery is "imminent") and my wife commented that it's good value for money , especially if you expect loadability and durability in rugged encounters.
You get what you pay for.
Agreed.

My issue with the Frontrunner rack is that the rails are all crossmember type with only a couple of longitudinal strengthening rails.
When unladen (for me that’ll be the majority of my weekday driving, unless bringing ladders etc) the rack will be much noisier than a longitudinally railed rack.

The Autodeck rack on my van was similar, and I had to move it back 12 inches to try and reduce the wind noise.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My issue with the Frontrunner rack is that the rails are all crossmember type with only a couple of longitudinal strengthening rails.
When unladen (for me that’ll be the majority of my weekday driving, unless bringing ladders etc) the rack will be much noisier than a longitudinally railed rack.
FWIW the FR rack has a wind deflector as part of the kit

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah even I'm getting a bit sick of the numerous posts from myself about myself
My finger has been hovering over the "submit" button to buy a front runner rack.

I have spoken to seemingly sane & independent people of moderate intelligence about the FR racks and have got a variety of views on wind noise; some completely opposite: e.g. "It is so quite I completely forget it's on the car" to "it was like a wind turbine strapped to the roof"

I know the FR has a wind deflector but, the front section of the Grenadier roof tapers down quite a way at the front and I wonder what impact, if any, that may have on wind noise.

You are my test case (assuming you tell us how the FR performs) as I am not aware of any other Grenadier owner that has a FR.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Fair enough. We all have different use cases and criteria. It’s a compromise in a way whatever you go for.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s the pics I was sent.

APB gave me the go ahead to post them.

Note clearance for Safari Windows. Nice touch. Awaiting my 3/4 length rack. Best of both worlds then; much less noise (due to shorter rack) and ease of Safari window removal.

Attachments

• 1ee94c28-781f-41e5-b568-756380ba23d6.jpeg
    1ee94c28-781f-41e5-b568-756380ba23d6.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 838dd4f3-f68c-4369-b276-d648f9440e18.jpeg
    838dd4f3-f68c-4369-b276-d648f9440e18.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 81
  • b1e76bec-dfbb-4f05-8678-470a5d893929.jpeg
    b1e76bec-dfbb-4f05-8678-470a5d893929.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 03331e5b-fe3d-4681-9fe9-e31120329e80.jpeg
    03331e5b-fe3d-4681-9fe9-e31120329e80.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 76
  • f2fab7ab-3e59-4fb9-88c6-a7a9f9c9141e.jpeg
    f2fab7ab-3e59-4fb9-88c6-a7a9f9c9141e.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 77

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s the pics I was sent.

APB gave me the go ahead to post them.

Note clearance for Safari Windows. Nice touch. Awaiting my 3/4 length rack. Best of both worlds then; much less noise (due to shorter rack) and ease of Safari window removal.
That looks as ugly as a hat full of ars.....................

Back
Top Bottom