The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Big Country drawers from South Africa (APB)

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi all.

I drove up from Bath to Kidderminster to APB Headquarters to check out their recently arrived set of drawers for the Grenadier.

This set is the first of an initial batch of five.
They’re made by Big Country, a South African outfit, apparently with many years experience in producing overland and expedition kit.
They’re certainly solid and well put together.

Being their first set to be fitted, the guys at APB (including the boss) dove in and within a couple of hours (including a modification on the trim blanking plates that needed folding to fit correctly) the drawers were fitted.

My concerns with drawer systems has always been that for the sake of a pair of trick looking drawers, you’re sacrificing a lot of wasted space around the wheel arches etc, as some manufacturers fit a solid top deck.
Not so these. There are snugly fitted sections on each side that lift out, giving access to all the nooks and crannies, perfect for straps, shackles and other odds and sods that’ll fit.

The drawer system is designed to fit any five seater Grenadier variant, so if you have the 5 seat commercial with the seats in their original position, then there’ll be a 75mm gap behind the seats to store other kit. If however you’ve moved the rear seats back, the drawers will fit leaving no gap.

Everything is carpet lined, inside and out, with each drawer having an adjustable separator.

All hardware is supplied including four keys for the locks.

Prices have yet to be confirmed, mainly due to increasingly volatile shipping costs from overseas, so I’m not able to say how much I paid yet. Suffice to say, I must make it clear that I have no commercial affiliation with APB, and that I’m not being paid or otherwise to post this.

Having said all the above, I must also mention my one and only constructive criticism on the Big Country drawers. And that is that there’s no handle with which to pull the drawers open with. You have to use the locking mechanism once released from its flush fitting recess.
Granted they’re sturdy enough, but I’ll be fitting a set of low profile stainless steel kitchen cupboard handles I happen to have surplus from a fit out. They’ll fit nicely and suit my needs.

The second reason for calling in to APB was to check out their South African Eezi Awn roof racks, of which a consignment of full length racks had also been shipped to their premises.
Having Safari windows meant the full length rack is not suitable, as opening and removing the panes would be impossible.

Cue a meaningful conversation along with a tape measure and phone camera, and an order is on its way for some 3/4 length (180cm x 160cm) racks which will be ideal for those Grenadiers with Safari windows.

I had a really good look at the Eezi Awn racks, and they’re way way better quality than anything I’ve seen (apart from Black Sheep’s mega bucks offering).
The racks have longitudinal rails with cross member slats; much better for strength as well as wind reduction (something owners never consider until too late). What’s more, they’re fully welded as opposed to being held together with dozens of nuts and bolts.
Measurements were also taken to ensure mounting feet (bloody heavy duty) won’t obstruct auxiliary power points.

I can’t comment on any other kit made by Eezi Awn, but I’ve already put my name down for their 3/4 length rack. Very nice kit.

Finally, I must say thanks to the crew at APB for launching into fitting my drawers. Top blokes.
I’ve never used them before, nor have I read any reviews on them. I simply took them as I saw them.
Not a bad cuppa tea either. Thanks for the mug!

License plate was covered as I’d prefer not to show it. Perfect opportunity for a blatant APB plug.

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpeg
    IMG_1860.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 497
  • d7f27be3-1184-4537-9bc5-ef5ed902bfed.jpeg
    d7f27be3-1184-4537-9bc5-ef5ed902bfed.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 508

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi, did you consider the jack accessibility?

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
I’d hope like most systems that the passenger / left side wing is easily removed so you can access that trapdoor to the jack. It looks like a separate piece on top.
I would also hope so, lets see the owner’s response.
Talking about the two plastic covers which have to be removed to access the jack, these two plastic components are the worst components ever designed and manufactured by anyone, ever. Words can’t describe the ineptitude! 🤷‍♂️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
those look very very cool . only think i am not sure of is if they will fit with the folding door table .

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Great work!

by folding down the rear seats do you create a single floor or are they higher?

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’d hope like most systems that the passenger / left side wing is easily removed so you can access that trapdoor to the jack. It looks like a separate piece on top.
It is a separate piece, as on the other side.
This gives access to all the unused space for straps, soft shackles and other smaller or foldable items.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would also hope so, lets see the owner’s response.
Talking about the two plastic covers which have to be removed to access the jack, these two plastic components are the worst components ever designed and manufactured by anyone, ever. Words can’t describe the ineptitude! 🤷‍♂️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
They’re not going to win any awards that’s for sure, but the jack is easily accessible all the same.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
those look very very cool . only think i am not sure of is if they will fit with the folding door table .
That’s a great point.

I contacted Compass Automotive (where my Grenadier is registered) and asked them to check how far the folding table frame protrudes, as I too was concerned it would come up against the front of the drawers.
So with the main door closed, I measured the area where the table frame protrudes, and by my untrained eye, it looks like there’s enough room.
I’ll post a couple of pics later with proper figures.
I’ve got a folding table on order, hence my concerns.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great work!

by folding down the rear seats do you create a single floor or are they higher?
Good point.
By folding the seats correctly (ie seat base folded forward against front seat, and back rest section folded down , with head rest removed) there’s a slight step down, maybe 40mm or less.
I’ve cut a piece of solid cavity insulation (Selotex) to sit on the back of the folded single passenger seat which brings it up nicely in line with the top deck.

I imagine it was a considered compromise, as lowering the deck height would result in more shallow drawer depth.

With the deck as is, I can fit my ARB compressor (in supplied case) in the drawer, which is just the right height.

Hope that helps.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, did you consider the jack accessibility?
I am a bit confused by these,.
Are they drawers for a big country?
Are they BIG drawers unsuitable for the city?
Or are they drawers made from timber cut from a big ???? tree? (Is there even such a tree?)
All of the above! They’re surprisingly versatile.
I’ve configured my drawers to be lifeboats in the event of my satnav sending me into the ocean. No room for a mast or paddles though, so a bit of a rethink needed.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Curiosity go to the better of me and went and measured my table pictures below .

First picture is measuring from the plastic trim above the table .

Second one from the trim behind the table .

Third one door closed and measuring from the edge of the table to the door opening bottom trim . I suspect this will be the best gauge to see if they fit . Based on how close to that trim the drawers are .

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 378

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First picture decided to be a diva and did not upload .

Attachments

• IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 443
Reactions: PBD

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Curiosity go to the better of me and went and measured my table pictures below .

Third one door closed and measuring from the edge of the table to the door opening bottom trim . I suspect this will be the best gauge to see if they fit . Based on how close to that trim the drawers are .
Thanks for the helpful pics.
Looks to me that both the table and drawers are compatible. Thankfully.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks from me on this too. That's very helpful

Back
Top Bottom