The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Big Country drawers from South Africa (APB)

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Here’s my fix for the lack of handles with the Big Country drawers.
40mins and they were in.

Handles are kitchen cupboard affair, screwed from behind. They’re 30mm deep, which just clears the pyramid shaped rubber grommet thingy on the main door. No idea what purpose it serves, but it can be removed if you prefer deeper handles.

The handles won’t interfere with the folding tailgate table either.

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 244

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
40mins and they were in.

Handles are kitchen cupboard affair, screwed from behind. They’re 30mm deep, which just clears the pyramid shaped rubber grommet thingy on the main door. No idea what purpose it serves, but it can be removed if you prefer deeper handles.

The rubber grommet serves the purpose of stopping you closing the small door first and then closing the big door onto it and damaging the paint I think.

BAS-Remaps

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all.

I drove up from Bath to Kidderminster to APB Headquarters to check out their recently arrived set of drawers for the Grenadier.

This set is the first of an initial batch of five.
They’re made by Big Country, a South African outfit, apparently with many years experience in producing overland and expedition kit.
They’re certainly solid and well put together.

Being their first set to be fitted, the guys at APB (including the boss) dove in and within a couple of hours (including a modification on the trim blanking plates that needed folding to fit correctly) the drawers were fitted.

My concerns with drawer systems has always been that for the sake of a pair of trick looking drawers, you’re sacrificing a lot of wasted space around the wheel arches etc, as some manufacturers fit a solid top deck.
Not so these. There are snugly fitted sections on each side that lift out, giving access to all the nooks and crannies, perfect for straps, shackles and other odds and sods that’ll fit.

The drawer system is designed to fit any five seater Grenadier variant, so if you have the 5 seat commercial with the seats in their original position, then there’ll be a 75mm gap behind the seats to store other kit. If however you’ve moved the rear seats back, the drawers will fit leaving no gap.

Everything is carpet lined, inside and out, with each drawer having an adjustable separator.

All hardware is supplied including four keys for the locks.

Prices have yet to be confirmed, mainly due to increasingly volatile shipping costs from overseas, so I’m not able to say how much I paid yet. Suffice to say, I must make it clear that I have no commercial affiliation with APB, and that I’m not being paid or otherwise to post this.

Having said all the above, I must also mention my one and only constructive criticism on the Big Country drawers. And that is that there’s no handle with which to pull the drawers open with. You have to use the locking mechanism once released from its flush fitting recess.
Granted they’re sturdy enough, but I’ll be fitting a set of low profile stainless steel kitchen cupboard handles I happen to have surplus from a fit out. They’ll fit nicely and suit my needs.

The second reason for calling in to APB was to check out their South African Eezi Awn roof racks, of which a consignment of full length racks had also been shipped to their premises.
Having Safari windows meant the full length rack is not suitable, as opening and removing the panes would be impossible.

Cue a meaningful conversation along with a tape measure and phone camera, and an order is on its way for some 3/4 length (180cm x 160cm) racks which will be ideal for those Grenadiers with Safari windows.

I had a really good look at the Eezi Awn racks, and they’re way way better quality than anything I’ve seen (apart from Black Sheep’s mega bucks offering).
The racks have longitudinal rails with cross member slats; much better for strength as well as wind reduction (something owners never consider until too late). What’s more, they’re fully welded as opposed to being held together with dozens of nuts and bolts.
Measurements were also taken to ensure mounting feet (bloody heavy duty) won’t obstruct auxiliary power points.

I can’t comment on any other kit made by Eezi Awn, but I’ve already put my name down for their 3/4 length rack. Very nice kit.

Finally, I must say thanks to the crew at APB for launching into fitting my drawers. Top blokes.
I’ve never used them before, nor have I read any reviews on them. I simply took them as I saw them.
Not a bad cuppa tea either. Thanks for the mug!

License plate was covered as I’d prefer not to show it. Perfect opportunity for a blatant APB plug.
How is the draw fitted to the car it’s self ?
Is it bolted down or just sat there.

Do you have any more pictures please of the side panels that loft out giving access to the spaces they are non draw areas.

Lastly sorry. What is the depth of the unit from front to back ?

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Do you have any more pictures please of the side panels that loft out giving access to the spaces they are non draw areas.

I’ll post some pics and dimensions later.

However, the dimensions are on Big Country’s website.

For basic reference, they’re built to fit any of the 5 seater variants. Mine is the commercial, so the rear seats are a few inches further forward, which leaves a useful gap behind the seats and in front of the drawer box.

So far on the left side cubbyhole, I’ve put two or three ratchet straps and ratchets, two packs of cable ties (1 large, and one medium), a roll of gaffer tape, and a 2 tonne strop.
The right side should take as much too.
In the gap behind the seat fits a folding stretcher (needed for military Range use) and an umbrella.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Didn’t have time to grab the tape, as I’m off out, but here’s some pics of the removable side panels.
They’re a tight fit and simply wedge in, but sit on two brackets either side.
Having carpet wrapped panels means no squeaks or rattles.

The main box is bolted down on to original threaded points on the deck of the vehicle. A rubber mat was laid first to prevent vibration issues that may wear the paint away.
Spacers are provided too, to ensure the box has plenty of areas where it comes into contact with the vehicle floor.

APB have already been in contact with Big Country to request drawer handles be fitted, and hopefully sent to the remaining four sets in the UK.
For me it wasn’t an issue as it’s an easy fix. Some customers may be a little more fussy or less practically minded, so best ask the supplier (of any drawer make) of drawer handles are supplied, as opposed to pulling on the latch to open.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 237

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
40mins and they were in.

That’s quite a design fail by Big Country in my view. Most other manufacturers incorporate the handle into the latch / locking mechanism.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That’s quite a design fail by Big Country in my view. Most other manufacturers incorporate the handle into the latch / locking mechanism.
Agreed, but in my opinion not a deal breaker.
Other manufacturers do indeed incorporate the handle in the latch, but I’d still prefer a separate handle over a complicated latch/handle combination.

The fact that Big Country have listened and are putting it right, to me, is a good indication of their willingness to improve their product.

And that’s two less handles cluttering up my shed, which have been there for over 10 years!

BAS-Remaps

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Didn’t have time to grab the tape, as I’m off out, but here’s some pics of the removable side panels.
They’re a tight fit and simply wedge in, but sit on two brackets either side.
Having carpet wrapped panels means no squeaks or rattles.

The main box is bolted down on to original threaded points on the deck of the vehicle. A rubber mat was laid first to prevent vibration issues that may wear the paint away.
Spacers are provided too, to ensure the box has plenty of areas where it comes into contact with the vehicle floor.

APB have already been in contact with Big Country to request drawer handles be fitted, and hopefully sent to the remaining four sets in the UK.
For me it wasn’t an issue as it’s an easy fix. Some customers may be a little more fussy or less practically minded, so best ask the supplier (of any drawer make) of drawer handles are supplied, as opposed to pulling on the latch to open.

Hope this helps.
Thank t ohh for the pictures and info.

BarnesH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just purchased these drawers from APB which are being fitted in a few days time. Sorry if this has been covered but do they definitely fit with the Ineos rear folding table? Thanks, Barnes

BAS-Remaps

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just purchased these drawers from APB which are being fitted in a few days time. Sorry if this has been covered but do they definitely fit with the Ineos rear folding table? Thanks, Barnes
Yes they do I had a conversation with them yesterday.

Is yours the one getting fitted Friday ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 13.07.09.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-06 at 13.07.09.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 203

Michael Brindley

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine fitted today,Absolutely fantastic.Its still good to know that people like APB exist nowadays.Fantastic service,really nice place,shop full of goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 205

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great job.
Nice to see APB getting the attention they deserve.
I posted the original thread about Big Country drawers a couple of weeks ago (I think).
I recall they were contacting Big Country about fitting handles as I had concerns about opening a fully laden drawer by the plastic latches.
Hopefully this will be addressed in future production models.
For those who’ve not looked at the original post, a set of 30mm deep kitchen cupboard handles are just the job.
What’s more, they don’t interfere with the folding tailgate table either. 35mm would just about be ok, but any deeper and you’re likely to hit the underside of the table.

Michael Brindley

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Jack access is fine,desperate for storage space so didnt want to lose any.Storage space behind back seat(mines 5 seat commercial so not sure on non commercial. Runners very heavy duty.Uses existing holes in floor to fasten down.Drawers can be removed from runners very quickly.Also has lock for secure storage.No rattling when driving even when full.Really pleased

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 150

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Probably been asked/answered before but are they level with the rear seats when folded? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom