The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ski racks ... side-mounted ... roof tie bars?

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
In the interest of not growing any taller than stock for clearance reasons ... has anyone seen or cobbled together ski racks to run along the roof tie bars? Seems plausible. I can DIY this but if anyone has gone down this road, please share a pic! Thanks!

"Rack" is a actually stretch. Really all that's needed on each side is a pair of clamps. i.e. bar clamp holding a ski clamp. x4. So the skis run horizontally above the rear windows but ideally not much above the roofline. And it wouldn't matter if they stuck out; they'd still likely be within the width of the mirrors for comparison.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
In the interest of not growing any taller than stock for clearance reasons ... has anyone seen or cobbled together ski racks to run along the roof tie bars? Seems plausible. I can DIY this but if anyone has gone down this road, please share a pic! Thanks!

"Rack" is a actually stretch. Really all that's needed on each side is a pair of clamps. i.e. bar clamp holding a ski clamp. x4. So the skis run horizontally above the rear windows but ideally not much above the roofline. And it wouldn't matter if they stuck out; they'd still likely be within the width of the mirrors for comparison.
I would be interested as well. Also in a good DIY solution. The racks on the back door do not convince me as the longer ski reach over the roof line.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
What clamps are mounting the racks with?

Bmac

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
After considering building something to mount on the ladder I’ve gone for a retro tyre mounted rack . £25 from eBay! And it leaves the small door free for access to the boot.

Attachments

• IMG_7871.jpeg
    IMG_7871.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 118

Alprider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Clamps that fix on to the ladder are 25mm dia handlebar risers, I’m going to mount my roof rack with the same but longer off the grab rails. Might need two sill clamps above the front doors..
Will post when its done!

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi - I am also pondering the same issue.

Would love to hear others’ experiences.

I have the Rhino cross bars and could fit ski clamps to these but that will be taller than the garage.

I wondered if anybody had found a ski clamp that can be fixed to the grab rails as that does seem ideal.

I also wondered about magnetic clamps on the roof - there would be quite a saving in height. The safety cable could perhaps be fastened to the grab rails rather than being trapped in the door?

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have ordered a pair of these, which can be fixed to a rail:

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
Have ordered a pair of these, which can be fixed to a rail:

Those Rhino Grips look really useful.

The photos show mostly tubular tool handles being gripped. Would love to know the inside dimension between those "teeth". If a pair of skis could squeeze in there, even better!

Back
Top Bottom