The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack from Leitner Designs coming soon

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I just received this email from Leitner Designs. Looks like a very nice platform. Here is a link to a video explaining their current roof rack system...hopefully the one for the Grenadier will be similar.
View: https://youtu.be/cCwJ-cuyRTc?si=afJR4QswOB5s-Qm1

Good Afternoon,

Our ACS Roof rack is going to be available in about 2-4 weeks for the Ineos! The price is going to be around $1300.00. Attached are photos and a quick video from our engineer, Bernhard. Once available for purchase on the website we will send you an email to place your order.

If you are interested in the Roo Guard, that is still in testing phases but should be released shortly after the ACS Roof rack.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!
support@leitnerdesigns.com

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 478
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 428
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 426
  • Video.mov
    5.8 MB

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I remember when they said they were going to create something. Came out better than I was expecting!

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
I like the grab handle foot mounts for the rack, I hope they also make a cross bar version that will allow Thule and Rhino rack roof pod claw clamps to work. The maximum opening for the Rhino Rack claw is 95mm so 4 inch load bars wont work. This is the same issue with the Ineos cross bars made by Rhino Rack (Reconn Deck). See attached photo.

Attachments

• Rhino Rack claw mount.jpg
    Rhino Rack claw mount.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 437

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if just the billet "legs" will be available, dont really want a whole roof rack, but would like to use the billet legs to mount 2 or 3 simple cross bars, will send and email and ask. I like it tho!

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if just the billet "legs" will be available, dont really want a whole roof rack, but would like to use the billet legs to mount 2 or 3 simple cross bars, will send and email and ask. I like it tho!
Same here, I just sent Leitner an email asking if they were going to produce a cross bar version using the same billet legs.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have examined the "tie down" bars in some detail. I am unconvinced that they were ever intended to support the forces potentially exerted thereon by either Black Sheep or Leitner roof racks especiallywhen loaded. For "MallCrawlers" maybe but certainly not for off- road/ corrugations in Australia ( nor African?) environments

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have examined the "tie down" bars in some detail. I am unconvinced that they were ever intended to support the forces potentially exerted thereon by either Black Sheep or Leitner roof racks especiallywhen loaded. For "MallCrawlers" maybe but certainly not for off- road/ corrugations in Australia ( nor African?) environments
Yeh I too want clarification about this from ineos. However they are the tie down rails for the 400kg that can be loaded onto the roof. So must have something going on for them.
I have been back and forth with remote travels/Hannibal to get a rack out and have thrown all kinds of ideas and what else is coming to market.
They know racks and so will come up with something suitable I'm sure. They have have looked over the grenadier with slrv.
So fingers crossed. I mentioned to keep it just like the defender Hannibal racks. Full gutter support with 8+ clamps. However we need a suitable design for our bendy gutters.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

So fingers crossed. I mentioned to keep it just like the defender Hannibal racks. Full gutter support with 8+ clamps. However we need a suitable design for our bendy gutters.
You can already get this from either of the factory Rhino Racks.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeh I too want clarification about this from ineos. However they are the tie down rails for the 400kg that can be loaded onto the roof. So must have something going on for them.
I have been back and forth with remote travels/Hannibal to get a rack out and have thrown all kinds of ideas and what else is coming to market.
They know racks and so will come up with something suitable I'm sure. They have have looked over the grenadier with slrv.
@YIPPE re. my emphasis in bold above: the "400kg"---is clearly described as a static load...for when the vehicle is stationary e.g. ... not the load for travelling which is restricted to 150kg including the weight of the roof rack. The tie down rails are subjected essentially to "upwards" forces from straps/ropes securing a load... they're not designed to support a heavy vibrating downward force exacerbated by corrugations. If you unscrew the various fasteners and examine them in detail, including the substrate into which they screw, ...they are "adequate" for a reasonable tie-down task, but "flimsy" for a firm foundation required for a solid roof rack plus load. ;)

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@YIPPE re. my emphasis in bold above: the "400kg"---is clearly described as a static load...for when the vehicle is stationary e.g. ... not the load for travelling which is restricted to 150kg including the weight of the roof rack. The tie down rails are subjected essentially to "upwards" forces from straps/ropes securing a load... they're not designed to support a heavy vibrating downward force exacerbated by corrugations. If you unscrew the various fasteners and examine them in detail, including the substrate into which they screw, ...they are "adequate" for a reasonable tie-down task, but "flimsy" for a firm foundation required for a solid roof rack plus load. ;)
@DenisM Sorry yeh I meant the dynamic 150kg. I think black sheep have their rack resting on the factory strips, so the roof is still taking the weight.
So if that were the case and you still tied down to the factory rails. I don't see a problem. You are just giving a platform to distribute the weight. However suspended, yes that's also my concern. Hence trying to get Hannibal to develop their rack.

@Tom109 the Hannibal racks looks better and more practical. And will still have access to the roof tie down rails. Front to back runners for less noise. Attachable secondary rail. I ran one on a defender and absolutely loved it. And will come in lighter than the rhino.

I recall a company, Something brown or brown something years ago had a rack for classic range Rovers where they drilled 4 holes in each side of the roofs gutter and was just bolted from underneath. No way that would have lasted corrugations either. Reputable company. Even though I don't remember them haha. Point is some products will be built for purpose and others for look. The rack above is great for slimness and transporting light goods on sealed roads whilst still tieing to the factory grab rails.
It could last on corrugations but for how long.

We just need ineos to come to the table and share information for these companies.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM Sorry yeh I meant the dynamic 150kg. I think black sheep have their rack resting on the factory strips, so the roof is still taking the weight.
So if that were the case and you still tied down to the factory rails. I don't see a problem. You are just giving a platform to distribute the weight. However suspended, yes that's also my concern. Hence trying to get Hannibal to develop their rack.

@Tom109 the Hannibal racks looks better and more practical. And will still have access to the roof tie down rails. Front to back runners for less noise. Attachable secondary rail. I ran one on a defender and absolutely loved it. And will come in lighter than the rhino.

I recall a company, Something brown or brown something years ago had a rack for classic range Rovers where they drilled 4 holes in each side of the roofs gutter and was just bolted from underneath. No way that would have lasted corrugations either. Reputable company. Even though I don't remember them haha. Point is some products will be built for purpose and others for look. The rack above is great for slimness and transporting light goods on sealed roads whilst still tieing to the factory grab rails.
It could last on corrugations but for how long.

We just need ineos to come to the table and share information for these companies.
Brownchurch?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@YIPPE I have owned a lot of LR racks - from Brownschurch, to Safety Devices, to Rovers North stainless. One thing they all had in common was welded construction including legs/feet. I have also owned cheaper racks that bolt together and they have not held up the same. What I like about them Rhino is the one piece side rail (backbone, whatever they call it). It seriously enhances the rigidity and load capacity while reducing gutter stress. In my book this is the best option and significantly better than individual bolt-on legs. I can easily work within the rated load limits even with this rack.

The Rhino rack is also the first new generation rack I have owned. Dealer installed, I spent some time climbing around on it, checking every fastener and lubricating those that required it. I was seriously impressed with the features and really look forward to loading it up this summer.

Funny you mention the load bars. Just today I was just thinking how the rack partially covers them! The lashing rings are a feature that initially drew me to the Grenadier, but to be honest, they have much more purpose when you do not have a rack. And reducing rack space to gain unnecessary access to them seems silly.

Have a great weekend - I’m off to play with the Wolfbox mirror adaptor…

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Leitner's response to my email regarding a cross bar version.
"Yes, this is something we are working on and I will have pictures shortly that I can send to you for reference."

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same here, I just sent Leitner an email asking if they were going to produce a cross bar version using the same billet legs.
Confirmation from
Leitner's response to my email regarding a cross bar version.
"Yes, this is something we are working on and I will have pictures shortly that I can send to you for reference."

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 299

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So how sturdy are the Ineos grab handles/bars and or screw/bolts that this company, alu-cab and black sheep are utilizing for their rack mounts? I think it looks like a better solution than the gutters, but what are the details of how the Ineos grab handles are actually integrated into the vehicle?

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Confirmation from
These photos suggest that the cross bars on not resting on the roof-strips. Not sure I'd want that weight only into the grab handle mounting vs distributed across the roof. Watching this space closely though, looks like high quality product.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These photos suggest that the cross bars on not resting on the roof-strips. Not sure I'd want that weight only into the grab handle mounting vs distributed across the roof. Watching this space closely though, looks like high quality product.
The Black Sheep rack appears to rest on top of the rubber roof strips and the Alu-Cab one does not. All of these companies make high quality products, so I feel as if they are selling it, the strength is adequate. Bikes or kayaks or a roof box is all that my roof rack will see, so these Leitner ones should be more than adequate for my needs.

Attachments

• OK4_2961-scaled.jpg
    OK4_2961-scaled.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 349
Back
Top Bottom