The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack from Leitner Designs coming soon

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
So how sturdy are the Ineos grab handles/bars and or screw/bolts that this company, alu-cab and black sheep are utilizing for their rack mounts? I think it looks like a better solution than the gutters, but what are the details of how the Ineos grab handles are actually integrated into the vehicle?

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wondered the same question. The grab handles are hollow 25mm dia. tube which you can easily replace with solid billet that you can get at most good hardware stores if flex and strength are an issue. I suspect someone will eventually get some CNC machined in various anodised colours. The torx flange head bolts look like they are grade 10.9, M6, 45mm long (tip to under flange). Not sure what the "N" stamp is.
Grade 10.9 should be able to take some significant shear force.

Attachments

• IMG_8194.jpg
    IMG_8194.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8195.jpg
    IMG_8195.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Torx Flange Head.jpg
    Torx Flange Head.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8180.jpg
    IMG_8180.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 87

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I wondered the same question. The grab handles are hollow 25mm dia. tube which you can easily replace with solid billet that you can get at most good hardware stores if flex and strength are an issue. I suspect someone will eventually get some CNC machined in various anodised colours. The torx flange head bolts look like they are grade 10.9, M6, 45mm long (tip to under flange). Not sure what the "N" stamp is.
Grade 10.9 should be able to take some significant shear force.
Hi Ultralight, Wow, thanks for posting about the torx flange head bolts. They look even more substantial than I was thinking they would be. Not an engineer, however utilizing brackets like Leitner has designed, which appear to connect to 2 bolts per bracket and onto the tube should be good for most applications. If one wanted to spread the load onto the roof, it would not be too difficult to simply add some stiff rubber shims under a rack or cross bar to pick up where the rubber strips are. I have reached out to Bernard Leitner to get the exact measurement of how high the top of his bracket sets above the 4 rubber roof strips. Will report back once I speak with him. DaBull

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Static force is one thing, add the compression/shear down/up/sideways forces induced by potholes , let alone corrugations, and whatever system you choose will discover the weak points.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ultralight, Wow, thanks for posting about the torx flange head bolts. They look even more substantial than I was thinking they would be. Not an engineer, however utilizing brackets like Leitner has designed, which appear to connect to 2 bolts per bracket and onto the tube should be good for most applications. If one wanted to spread the load onto the roof, it would not be too difficult to simply add some stiff rubber shims under a rack or cross bar to pick up where the rubber strips are. I have reached out to Bernard Leitner to get the exact measurement of how high the top of his bracket sets above the 4 rubber roof strips. Will report back once I speak with him. DaBull
The roof strips are plastic not rubber.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was in one of the Black Sheep videos where the narrator pointed out that the mounts attaching to the grab bars aren't supported BY the grab bar, they merely hold the grab bar too. The mount itself is bolted to the roof frame. Here's a picture of how burly the Leitner mount is.

Attachments

• IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 89

Ultralight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was in one of the Black Sheep videos where the narrator pointed out that the mounts attaching to the grab bars aren't supported BY the grab bar, they merely hold the grab bar too. The mount itself is bolted to the roof frame. Here's a picture of how burly the Leitner mount is.
That explains the hole on the front of the mount that looks like a grub screw to lock the grab handle.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
I have my doubts with using the grab handles to handle any kind of roof load. I would like someone to tell me if they are even designed for a downward load? What is the load rating? It seems to me like they are designed to be tie down points.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have my doubts with using the grab handles to handle any kind of roof load. I would like someone to tell me if they are even designed for a downward load? What is the load rating? It seems to me like they are designed to be tie down points.
See my post above. The bars aren't carrying the load, the brackets are screwed to the roof.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With little, tiny screws that Ultralight shows above. I have stronger fasteners on my Fat Bike.
Pick your poison. 16 of those "tiny screws" that @Ultralight says should take "significant force" screwed into the roof frame, or however many bolts the stock rack uses (edit it does look like 16 stock) to hold the pinched gutter which people have shown to have considerable flex.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With little, tiny screws that Ultralight shows above. I have stronger fasteners on my Fat Bike.
Hi Tom109, It looks like the solid shank portion of the M6 Torx bolt as noted above is just shy of 1/4" thick. If you have two per bracket, that seems fairly stout, especially considering they are graded 10.9. It Take a lot to shear them at the solid shank portion. From what I have looked up, it would take 18 kilo-newtons or 4046 pounds to shear a single bolt like this. I would imagine having 2 bolts would double the total shear for one of Leitner brackets to 36 kilo-newtons or 8092 pounds. Not sure what down or up forces a rack has on a rough road. If someone knows, then we might have an idea if this bracket set up is adequate for it's intended purpose. Another thing to take into consideration is how stout the fixed nut the bolt goes into is and how well it is fixed to the Grenadier. DaBull

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Tom109, It looks like the solid shank portion of the M6 Torx bolt as noted above is just shy of 1/4" thick. If you have two per bracket, that seems fairly stout, especially considering they are graded 10.9. It Take a lot to shear them at the solid shank portion. From what I have looked up, it would take 18 kilo-newtons or 4046 pounds to shear a single bolt like this. I would imagine having 2 bolts would double the total shear for one of Leitner brackets to 36 kilo-newtons or 8092 pounds. Not sure what down or up forces a rack has on a rough road. If someone knows, then we might have an idea if this bracket set up is adequate for it's intended purpose. Another thing to take into consideration is how stout the fixed nut the bolt goes into is and how well it is fixed to the Grenadier. DaBull
That's a lot of force. One mount could theoretically support the whole static load capacity of the roof and then some. I suppose, though, since I bought a frontrunner rack in the past based on a video of them lifting a jeep by it, the tops of our vehicles, and the bolts we put in them, are stronger than I have always given them credit for.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Pick your poison. 16 of those "tiny screws" that @Ultralight says should take "significant force" screwed into the roof frame, or however many bolts the stock rack uses (edit it does look like 16 stock) to hold the pinched gutter which people have shown to have considerable flex.
The gutter issue has been blown out of proportion. People will see this now that vehicles are off the computer screen and in owners hands. If a poorly designed foot is used, or positioned poorly along the gutter line, then yes, it could flex. But mine is rock solid, zero concerns at all compared to the idea of 16 little screws. To me, that is as silly as the early Range Rover racks that sat in the gutter and were bolted through from below.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The gutter issue has been blown out of proportion. People will see this now that vehicles are off the computer screen and in owners hands. If a poorly designed foot is used, or positioned poorly along the gutter line, than yes, it could flex. But mine is rock solid, zero concerns at all compared to the idea of 16 little screws. To me, that is as silly as the early Range Rover racks that sat in the gutter and were bolted through from below.
Agree that it's overblown but there's still small bolts mounting it. Either way, even though I'm no engineer I feel like bolts directly into the roof frame is stronger than the gutter.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guess its a sign of the times that people have to take sides or be partisans on everything, including roof rack designs??? I reckon the Leitner design is outstanding, if it was available in Oz I would probably buy it. But the Rhino-rack solution is also great, either product would be more than robust enough for almost anything I could throw at it. I reckon our extra special Oz corrugations (if there is such a thing, I am sure the Africans could give us a run for our money) would destroy other critical items on the Grenadier (multiple radiators, cooling hose rubs etc) before either rack would come close to failing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Guess its a sign of the times that people have to take sides or be partisans on everything, including roof rack designs??? I reckon the Leitner design is outstanding, if it was available in Oz I would probably buy it. But the Rhino-rack solution is also great, either product would be more than robust enough for almost anything I could throw at it. I reckon our extra special Oz corrugations (if there is such a thing, I am sure the Africans could give us a run for our money) would destroy other critical items on the Grenadier (multiple radiators, cooling hose rubs etc) before either rack would come close to failing.
The issue could be resolved with a torture test simulator.
Product testing is what it's called from memory!
I'm testing my setup in the real world.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great and more low profile than the OE Rhino-Rack. Any data on how much height it adds installed? I need the Grenadier to be under 7’ to fit in the garage when the rack isn’t used. The Rhino-Rack adds almost 4”.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Confirmation from
These are a much better design than Blacksheep as the load is transferred to the body via the fixings and doesn't rely on the roof for load bearing. Before I bought them I'd be finding the load rating for the individual cross bars. The Ineos Rhino rack dynamic load on each individual "foot" is 18.75kgs

Back
Top Bottom