The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack from Leitner Designs coming soon

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Awesome rack but 250# load limit isn’t great for tents.
The install document claims the load limit is 150lbs for off-road and 300lbs for on road.

The average weight of an empty roof top tent may already exceed the off road limits, let alone adding the ubiquitous awnings common place in most adventure builds.

IMG_0562.jpg

Last edited:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
The install document claims the load limit is 150lbs for off-road and 300lbs for on road.

The average weight of an empty roof top tent may already exceed the off road limits, let alone adding the ubiquitous awnings common place in most adventure builds.

View attachment 7850084
Earlier in the feed you see they tell you do not use the Platform Rack is not for Roof Top tents. it talks about Load Bars instead and the kit for tents. See the links I sent earlier. I bet he looking at dynamic load not static load.

Here you go this what you need for a tent instead of the rack.
Load Bars
- https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/coll.../products/ineos-grenadier-load-bar-kit-4-bars
Tent Brackets
- https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/coll...-roof-top-tent-brackets-load-bar-kit-specific
Awning Bracket ( Optional, but I figured if you getting tent you get Awning as well )
- https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/coll...wning-bracket-grenadier-load-bar-kit-specific

Note we really should have two separate threads for Leitner Design one for Platform Rack, and second for Load Bars and setting up Tent and other stuff on the load bars. I went with Rack since I not putting tent on my vehicle.

Last edited:

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Earlier in the feed you see they tell you do not use the Platform Rack is not for Roof Top tents. it talks about Load Bars instead and the kit for tents. See the links I sent earlier.
Both install docs for the platform rack and load bars have the same load limits, so not quite sure of your point?

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Both install docs for the platform rack and load bars have the same load limits, so not quite sure of your point?
I would talk to them, to see what load ratting really is, since that look more like 600 lbs over four load bars 300 lbs offroad. Since documentation is for two load bars your showing above you want four load bar for tent

From the Ineos Grenadier Manual for the Ineos RHINO rack limits so you have comparison

ROOF LOADING
The full length INEOS Roof Rack accessory (not including its own weight) can accommodate up to 330 lb. (150 kg.) of the remaining cargo capacity while driving and up to 925 lb. (420 kg.) while parked. Why the difference? When you are camping, you may wish to move cargo from the cargo area to the roof.When driving, loads placed on the roof exert a high roll force on the vehicle due to their distance from the center of gravity. Loads greater than 330 lb reduces handling and stability beyond safe limits.

The capacities of the 6-foot INEOS roof rack accessory are lower: 264 lb. (120 kg.) when driving and 826 lb. (375 kg.) when parked.
Only INEOS Roof Rack/Roof Bars accessories are designed to be fixed to the drain gutter.

Last edited:

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I would talk to them, to see what load ratting really is, since that look more like 600 lbs over four load bars 300 lbs offroad. Since documentation is for two load bars your showing above you want four load bar for tent
Ya unfortunately, that’s not usually how it works. Doubling the load bars does not equate to doubling the load capacity. For example the platform rack has double the cross/load bars and roof mounting points of the 2 load bar product but yet they have the same max load ratings. Adding more load bars and mounting points, usually just evens out the load distribution and supports the tent/load better.

Last edited:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ya that’s not usually how it works, doubling the load bars does not equate to doubling the load. For example the platform rack has double the cross/load bars and roof mounting points of the 2 load bar product but yet they have the same max load ratings. Adding more load bars and mounting points, usually just evens out the load distribution and supports the tent better.

As I said talk to designer, they tell if what in Manual is Static or Dynamic load support. I agree when you add more bar you reduce the load of what is being bared per Bar. Aka if I had 300 LB on car, two bar have 150 Lb per contact point, now when you go to 4 bar there is distribution of LBs ( force) per contact point but it less then 2 bar contact. Note in statics this is continuous beam problem. Now the roof has maximum load limit before fatigues. what in Manual Static for Rhino rack is ~ 900lbs. What Static limit is since tent 180-300 lbs, put two big humans in the test your now 450lbs for humans + 200lbs tent + 20 lbs for other stuff you need 670 lbs static load support. So I have feeling it much higher then we thinking above for static support, just need to below dynamics load numbers.

Last edited:

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Thought I’d update now that I’ve installed the load bars. I went with 3 bars (figured I could always order another if I felt the need. The install is very straightforward and easy. Did a test fit with my iKamper to see if I could lower it down onto the racks and drive right out. Juuuusst barely fit under the door but it works! Still need to attach the permanent quick connect mounts for the tent.

Very impressed with the load bars and I’d recommend them for anyone looking for another option.

Attachments

• IMG_8011.jpeg
    IMG_8011.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8018.jpeg
    IMG_8018.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 63

bensouthall

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi DaBull. Thank you for the additional details and your first-hand impression, much appreciated. I've emailed Leitner to enquire about shipping to Australia. One last question. I can find a weight of 60Lbs for the tray but is there a quoted total weight including the mounting brackets anywhere?
I’m certainly curious about shipping one of these to Australia too. Any response from their team yet?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
I’m certainly curious about shipping one of these to Australia too. Any response from their team yet?
I was quoted $740 USD, they also suggested they are working on a distributor for Australia.

Back
Top Bottom