The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water in passenger footwell (RHD vehicle)

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
It's been bone dry in the UK for the last few weeks - since I collected my Grenadier. Shale Blue Utility - rough and smooth packs.

Naturally I love it

A few of the silly error messages - power steering, transmission, airbag...all that nonsense, I can forgive for now and I just ignore it

Been back and forth 150 miles each way this weekend. Longest trip so far

Yesterday was very warm and dry. a fair bit of water had gathered in the passenger (left hand) footwell by the end of the journey. Aircon had been on and running well.

It seems to run down from the inside (ie towards the middle of the car) footwell and gather on the rubber mat. Maybe a teacup of water was there. Did the same again today on the way back, although there was some rain.

What could this be?

Mike

PS - only error messages on the long drive were TPMS related ones

I also managed to get the vehicle into Low Range which had been too stiff before, waited until everything was well warmed up

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
It's been bone dry in the UK for the last few weeks - since I collected my Grenadier. Shale Blue Utility - rough and smooth packs.

Naturally I love it

A few of the silly error messages - power steering, transmission, airbag...all that nonsense, I can forgive for now and I just ignore it

Yesterday was very warm and dry. a fair bit of water had gathered in the passenger (left hand) footwell but the end of the journey. Aircon had been on and running well.

It seems to run down from the inside (ie towards the middle of the car) footwell and gather on the rubber mat. Maybe a teacup of water was there. Did the same again today on the way back, although there was some rain.

What could this be?

Mike

I also managed to get the vehicle into Low Range which had been too stiff before, waited until everything was well warmed up
If it’s not been raining then almost certainly its the aircon. Normally this happens when the aircon drains get clogged with crap, but generally happens in older vehicles. Suspect that either a drain hose has not been properly connected, or there is a kink in it somewhere

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The culprit is almost certainly from the A/C based on your description, but it could be something other than a clogged condensate line. On a brand-new vehicle, it is more likely that the condensate tubing is disconnected under the dashboard or condensate is building up outside of the A/C unit, accreting behind the dash until it drips down. Please post the cause and dealer response when you get it sorted, MIke. - CJV

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Today, after heavy rain fall. I have water collected on the door sills. When I opened my drivers side door, some water came gushing out. However the interior is dry. I suspect that water is from the front roof gutter running down the edge of the doors which is fine by why does it collect inside on the sills.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Naturally I love it

Yesterday was very warm and dry. a fair bit of water had gathered in the passenger (left hand) footwell by the end of the journey. Aircon had been on and running well.

What could this be?

Mike

Photos would be helpful ~ did you take any?

Also any smell to the water, it would be good to rule out windscreen washer fluid and a poor connector leaking?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Today, after heavy rain fall. I have water collected on the door sills. When I opened my drivers side door, some water came gushing out. However the interior is dry. I suspect that water is from the front roof gutter running down the edge of the doors which is fine by why does it collect inside on the sills.
Sounds like an easy issue to replicate with a garden hose and trouble shoot the answer to your question...

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Much of the UK has been without rainfall for weeks, but on Sunday my local area got 22mm in a few hours.

Opening the driver's door delivered a deluge onto the ground and I have water in my rubber mat. I would guess my A/C is fine, (no water in the mat when it is dry), but there is something up with the door drains.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Much of the UK has been without rainfall for weeks, but on Sunday my local area got 22mm in a few hours.

Opening the driver's door delivered a deluge onto the ground and I have water in my rubber mat. I would guess my A/C is fine, (no water in the mat when it is dry), but there is something up with the door drains.
I had beginning of May a lot of rainfall in Belgium (that's our usual weather) and last two days some heavy rainfalls like in the UK and other parts of this part of Europe: no deluge when opening the doors, but yes some liquid in the cars footwell.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have my pre-order in, but these water issues are a dealbreaker for me. They need to figure this out before rolling out vehicles in the US. I hope you folks in Europe get this sorted out quickly and that Ineos is responsive to these concerns.

Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Between this and the other guy with the water trapped in the door seal, this could be a deal breaker for me. I got rid of our JK due to water leaks/ build up. Only fixed by drilling a hole in the passenger side floor well. So not really fixed. I can't stand the idea of water in the vehicle.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Between this and the other guy with the water trapped in the door seal, this could be a deal breaker for me. I got rid of our JK due to water leaks/ build up. Only fixed by drilling a hole in the passenger side floor well. So not really fixed. I can't stand the idea of water in the vehicle.
Replied to your other thread, my car has not water ingress and we had 2 inches of rain last night (55mm).

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We had a lot of rain last night, too. The Grenny was not on a flat place, the nose were direction valley. So no water inside, no water while opening door. Everything fine. Will park the car now on a flat area and investigate again.
My VIN is over xx2500, maybe they have adjusted something.
The small water drops on the rubber mat, doesn ´t come back again. Maybe condensed water from AC after the long drive …….
AC works well.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I hope the cause of the issue is figured out soon properly and a fix is implemented by Ineos, otherwise, rust/grubbiness over the long term.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Photos would be helpful ~ did you take any?

Also any smell to the water, it would be good to rule out windscreen washer fluid and a poor connector leaking?
It’s definitely rain water. How I see it, is the Grenadier is doubled sealed, inner and outer. Water is running down the roof gutter and in between the inner and outer seal, collecting water. Any other car with a single seal, is non issue because it runs out from the door sill.

However, it must be the outer door seal that must not be seating properly. I need to double check with a hose pipe.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Might be the answer in this thread:

Reactions: PBD

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've just experienced the wet-feet-on-opening experience. Only on the drivers side (RHD). No water inside at all though. If it is coming down the gutter at the front of the door then it must be getting past the seal, otherwise what is holding it in? and if it is getting inside the seal to pool at the bottom, how much would need to get in before it was above the level of the sill and thus into the footwell?

If it is not getting past the seal then I can't see why it is not just running out freely. My worry is really what happens when it freezes?

Local time
Reaction score
I think the water is running from the front gutter down the A pillar and getting between the 2 door rubbers just where or below the window line at the front of the door.

Back
Top Bottom