The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Coolant leak into left front footwell

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
I've just spotted green coolant dripping down into the passenger (left) footwell.
I've lifted the floor covering and there is a bit of a pool there.
Anyone else had this issue and know what is causing it? I'm guessing heater matrix, but I hope it's something simple like a hose clamp and not the whole matrix.

Guess I'll be calling the agent Monday morning.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I think it’s just condensation.. nowt to worry about and a bit of lagging by the dealer should fix it..

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
I've just spotted green coolant dripping down into the passenger (left) footwell.
Anyone else had this issue and know what is causing it? I'm guessing heater matrix, but I hope it's something simple like a hose clamp and not the whole matrix.

No condensation should be green unless you collected and breeding algae.
Indeed a call to agent should verify this - perhaps a picture sent by email.
In my opinion also a loose clamp. Does the liquid smell slightly sweet?
(Dont know if vehicles in Australia need antifreeze.. but I think any vehicle will have a bit ethyleneglycol in cooling water.)

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
From my point of view, this is also condensation. I have that with me too. I have already been reported somewhere here. I've therefore been driving without the centre tunnel trim for weeks in order to trace the formation.
From my point of view, it is not a leak in the pipes, but is caused by condensation on the pipes. Depending on the temperature setting, it is more (air conditioning very cold) or less.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
From my point of view, this is also condensation. I have that with me too. I have already been reported somewhere here. I've therefore been driving without the centre tunnel trim for weeks in order to trace the formation.
From my point of view, it is not a leak in the pipes, but is caused by condensation on the pipes. Depending on the temperature setting, it is more (air conditioning very cold) or less.
Condensation water should not be of lime green colour.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

@Sylvan are you really sure it was green? If that's the case, then of course it's not comparable to my case (condensation). Please send a photo showing exactly where it is dripping onto the floor.
But I can't imagine that pipes with coolant are laid in the interior at this point. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Sylvan are you really sure it was green? If that's the case, then of course it's not comparable to my case (condensation). Please send a photo showing exactly where it is dripping onto the floor.
But I can't imagine that pipes with coolant are laid in the interior at this point. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.
Surely there are coolant pipes coming through the bulkhead to feed (and return) the heater matrix. That said you can certainly smell coolant whereas condensation is usually odour less.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surely there are coolant pipes coming through the bulkhead to feed (and return) the heater matrix. That said you can certainly smell coolant whereas condensation is usually odour less.
Yes, that is correct. But do these lead up to about above the accelerator pedal? That's about where the drops of condensation come down in my car. I assume it runs from the centre console to there. As I said, I'm still looking for it.It's time-consuming and partly incomprehensible.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Taste it. If it’s really disgusting it’s probably coolant. They put a bitter taste in because it’s naturally sweet and also poisonous.

I’ll bet it’s condensation though.
I wouldn't be tasting random substances in a car footwell.
If it taste's bad, and it's green, it could be condensation mixed with cow shit from your passengers boots.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
(Dont know if vehicles in Australia need antifreeze.. but I think any vehicle will have a bit ethyleneglycol in cooling water.)
Parts of Australia are subject to below zero temperatures.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can usually smell coolant, but another potential which may also be green and smelly is washer fluid, it’s possible that a washer fluid hose has come loose and dripping

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Parts of Australia are subject to below zero temperatures.
When I first moved to Tasmania in 1987 I lived in Exeter, just north of Launceston.
Unfortunately the tractor lived under cover so the car was outside.
Every morning in winter the windscreen was covered in ice .
I had to start the day with a bucket of cold water to throw over the windscreen.
In Kalgoorlie WA there were quite a few morning in single digit temperatures

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When I first moved to Tasmania in 1987 I lived in Exeter, just north of Launceston.
Unfortunately the tractor lived under cover so the car was outside.
Every morning in winter the windscreen was covered in ice .
I had to start the day with a bucket of cold water to throw over the windscreen.
In Kalgoorlie WA there were quite a few morning in single digit temperatures
The Tassy autumn/winter/spring can catch people out , especially when they rush to iconic places like Cradle Mountain.
Often it's below zero atop the magnet that is Mt Wellington. I would recommend antifreeze!
Oh and Launceston. Fricken freezing , Mr Bigglesworth!

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
AC freon is green. My bet is that there is a leak at the connection to the AC exchanger in the cabin. Condensation is mostly clear and looks like water

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
You can see the white on the tunnel where the fluid is running down.
You can see the light green colour in footwell.

Unfortunately for me it is not condensation. It is cool here, so we weren't using the A/C anyway. It is green, it smell's sweet, and it's coolant.
IMG_3160.JPGIMG_3162.JPG

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Unfortunately for me it is not condensation. It is cool here, so we weren't using the A/C anyway. It is green, it smell's sweet, and it's coolant.
View attachment 7827030View attachment 7827031
Yeah but what does it taste like???
Is it minty fresh?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can usually smell coolant, but another potential which may also be green and smelly is washer fluid, it’s possible that a washer fluid hose has come loose and dripping

View attachment 7827030View attachment 7827031
Also the white stain very much suggests coolant

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The coolant mixture is not only an antifreeze, but also a sealant against oxidation in the engine coolant channels.
My old Disco had silt in the system when I first flushed it . The young chap who had briefly owned it told me it had "got a bit hot but not overheated". I suspect he or someone else had a boilover and filled up from a silty creek!
(It was definitely silt, not corroded block/head)
Back in the day of course, we all just used plain. water. Kids today they wouldn't believe it.
Actually they don't have a clue about these things. Cars maintain themselves , it appears...

Back
Top Bottom