The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Coolant leak into left front footwell

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
Friday arvo 'the late shift" car this one!!! Are we sure Merc didn't wind down operations in this plant because they couldn't find competent work crews :devilish:

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan,
I had the same problem with my Grenadier.
Coolant in the left footwell (European driver side), an incorrectly fitted clamp.
A hard way to come to. As far as I know, they had to remove the display….
Thanks for this Frank N Furter!

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
Pinched O-ring in connection fitting to the heater core during installation, just needs to be removed and a new O-ring fitted and re-installed.

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What was the diagnosis and cure?
I picked the car up late Friday afternoon after it was with the agent for just over a week.
I have driven around 200km over the weekend. No more coolant leak can be seen.

The agent said they had to remove a fair bit of interior to get to, and replace hose clamps. They replaced spring hose clamps with screw clamps.

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I picked the car up late Friday afternoon after it was with the agent for just over a week.

The agent said they had to remove a fair bit of interior to get to, and replace hose clamps. They replaced spring hose clamps with screw clamps.
Hi Sylvan, please check that your heater is working, my Grenadier has been back 3 times after the initial water leak as the heater does not heat up at all. Works after the the system has been bleed at the dealer, but after a day or 2 it stops heating again.

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan, please check that your heater is working, my Grenadier has been back 3 times after the initial water leak as the heater does not heat up at all. Works after the the system has been bleed at the dealer, but after a day or 2 it stops heating again

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't check that yet. Will test this afternoon.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Spring clamps the no.1 find for a leaking connection!! I still see irrigation contractors using sorting clamps on low pressure drip lines... and they always come back to fix the leak!!!

Reactions: CB

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score

That sounds like good news, touchwood and thank you

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi @Sylvan I just like to make sure we are talking about the same problem. I had understood that you actually had coolant dripping into the footwell, that was probably recognizable by the color, right?

For me, water drops would occasionally arrive in the footwell just on the rubber mat. But since it is very rare, I do not assume a leakage, but condensation of the room air. Although I always use the air conditioning, I have not noticed it in recent weeks. This reinforces my assumption that it is not a leak.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Sylvan I just like to make sure we are talking about the same problem. I had understood that you actually had coolant dripping into the footwell, that was probably recognizable by the color, right?

For me, water drops would occasionally arrive in the footwell just on the rubber mat. But since it is very rare, I do not assume a leakage, but condensation of the room air. Although I always use the air conditioning, I have not noticed it in recent weeks. This reinforces my assumption that it is not a leak.
I have the same issue @rovie

My agent has already identified, and fixed, a split drain pipe from the aircon condenser, but the problem continued. My car is booked in for two days where they are going to remove lots of the interior to behind the dash panel. The expectation is that there is a blockage in the drain somewhere, causing the system to overflow and leak into the cabin.

We are not the only two with this issue. INEOS are aware.

I’ll update as it progresses

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

yeah that's right @rovie I had green coolant leaking into the left footwell. There was a pool underneath the floor trim too. Unmistakably green. Confirmed also by the agent. They had to top up coolant as part of the repair.

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan, please check that your heater is working, my Grenadier has been back 3 times after the initial water leak as the heater does not heat up at all. Works after the the system has been bleed at the dealer, but after a day or 2 it stops heating again.

The heater is working perfectly at the moment. I will keep an eye on it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yeah that's right @rovie I had green coolant leaking into the left footwell. There was a pool underneath the floor trim too. Unmistakably green. Confirmed also by the agent. They had to top up coolant as part of the repair.
Thank you very much @Sylvan . Then I definitely don't have a leak and am now looking for condensation. @DenisM also gave me a hint about this. Thank you both. I appreciate the mutual helpfulness of the forum here.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same issue @rovie

My agent has already identified, and fixed, a split drain pipe from the aircon condenser, but the problem continued. My car is booked in for two days where they are going to remove lots of the interior to behind the dash panel. The expectation is that there is a blockage in the drain somewhere, causing the system to overflow and leak into the cabin.

We are not the only two with this issue. INEOS are aware.

I’ll update as it progresses
Hi @Highwayman thank you for your confirmation. It is absolutely not okay that some of us are experiencing this problem. Neither is the coolant issue that others have.

That was also the reason why I have already dismantled the trim to look for the occurrence with a flexible rod camera if it reoccurs.
I already told my dealer about the issue in the summer. Since then I have heard nothing more. I am afraid to let him dismantle half the car. Most of the time it doesn't get any better that way. I always prefer to show him clearly the causes of the problems.

I will also keep you informed if there is anything new.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has some sort of leak that's held up delivery the past >3 weeks.
My dash is quaking as it waits its fate.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
I don't know how well this works, but you could check for the PH value of the suspicius liquid. Water is between 7 and 7.4, coolant is more than 8.

For a comparison you can dip one strip into water from the tap, and another one into the coolant of the car. The difference is however small.

Small package (80 pcs) = 2.25€

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
Coolant also reacts to a uv/black light. Even when it’s dried up so that’s an option as well.

Back
Top Bottom