The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water in passenger footwell (RHD vehicle)

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Today, I was approached by someone asking me about my Grenadier and how I was finding it. He said he was still waiting for his. I asked when he first ordered it and he told me 'a couple of years ago'. (His memory obviously playing tricks). He then asked me about the leaking sunroofs. I told him I had been in three hours of torrential rain this weekend and no leaks. He told me that the local dealership (who is well known on this site), had five vehicles in with leaking sunroofs and one even needing an entire wiring loom following water ingress. No idea if this is true or not. He then asked me how I found the vehicle. I told him I loved it and that handling on windy A roads was brilliant. He said I had made his day and he couldn't wait for his.
So. Wondering now, just how many issues there are with water ingress if one dealer alone does in fact have five vehicles suffering water ingress. Perhaps the dealer concerned can shed some light?
If the dealer is me, then I certainly don't have 5 vehicles with water ingress. Not quite sure where he/she got those numbers from to be honest.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My water ingress comes from somewhere higher than the bottom line of the windscreen, could even be from a small hole in the windscreen glue
Yes, sounds like yours maybe be a different issue to @acwiltshire. The fact that Ineos are working on a solution suggested to me that it's not a windscreen glue issue, as that would be a simple known fix.

Although, if it was the delay may be down to them wanting to build stocks of parts before releasing for action.

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have got sopping wet feet again and this is my summary and my explanation:

1) The passenger side door when opened after rain deposits a substantial amount of water onto the ground outside the vehicle. If you aren't expecting it your Guccis will be wet
2) On examination the water is building up at the bottom of the door between the outer seal (mounted on the door) and the inner seal mounted on the door frame. At this point at the foot of the door the gap between the seals is more than 1 inch allowing water a substantial amount of water to build up. Water is not entering the footwell or the interior of the vehicle.
3) I dried the seals, door frame and used a watering can to pour water into the roof gutter. Without realising it I am parked on a very slight incline so that the water runs to the front of the vehicle where it drains down the A frame.
4) After 1/2 a watering can I opened the door (maintaining a safe distance) and yes a significant amount (max 20% of what I poured into the gutter) was deposited on the ground
5) I carefully examined the track of the water
6) The water is entering between the outer seal on the door and the A Frame. The seal is now wet at various points indicating water ingress between seal and internal frame
7) I repeated the experiment with the Drivers door and it remains dry as it always has done wherever I have been parked.
8) Examining the fit of the drivers door I observe that the gap at the front of the door is perhaps 2 mms more than at the rear. The drivers door is correctly aligned.

Therefore my working hypothesis is that the door has been badly fitted and needs correction by Ineos.

I am already in touch with my dealer as this requires a fix by Ineos.

Your thoughts appreciated.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you indicate with a photo were the gap is?

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

1) The passenger side door when opened after rain deposits a substantial amount of water onto the ground outside the vehicle. If you aren't expecting it your Guccis will be wet
2) On examination the water is building up at the bottom of the door between the outer seal (mounted on the door) and the inner seal mounted on the door frame. At this point at the foot of the door the gap between the seals is more than 1 inch allowing water a substantial amount of water to build up. Water is not entering the footwell or the interior of the vehicle.
3) I dried the seals, door frame and used a watering can to pour water into the roof gutter. Without realising it I am parked on a very slight incline so that the water runs to the front of the vehicle where it drains down the A frame.
4) After 1/2 a watering can I opened the door (maintaining a safe distance) and yes a significant amount (max 20% of what I poured into the gutter) was deposited on the ground
6) The water is entering between the outer seal on the door and the A Frame. The seal is now wet at various points indicating water ingress between seal and internal frame
7) I repeated the experiment with the Drivers door and it remains dry as it always has done wherever I have been parked.
8) Examining the fit of the drivers door I observe that the gap at the front of the door is perhaps 2 mms more than at the rear. The drivers door is correctly aligned.

Therefore my working hypothesis is that the door has been badly fitted and needs correction by Ineos.

Yes that is exactly my analysis to save that mine seems to be only the drivers side. I’ve reported it to my dealer who says they have reported it to Ineos.

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you indicate with a photo were the gap is?
IMG_0184.jpegwater runs from the gutter at the top and down the frame. With the door shut it should be kept out but the seal is ineffective and water runs down between the seal on the door and the seal on the frame and lies in the bottom of the door awaiting an unexpecting visitor.

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

It may also be that the seal is not large enough at this front edge of the door to prevent water ingress.

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It may also be that the seal is not large enough at this front edge of the door to prevent water ingress.
And it might be that a large number of the vehicles have the inadequate seal but the seal is not working at the foot of the door allowing the water to escape as it falls. Just thinking!!!!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking back to some of the "imaginative" JLR recall remedies for various things, and can't help thinking the solution is just to drill a hole in lower sill at the lowest point between the two seals and just allow this water to drain out.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Given the vehicles are built to mm frame tolerances , you should be able to detect any differences in panel/frame gaps between the 2 doors. If you can be bothered. I'd go around with a ruler and check if it was mine.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If the dealer is me, then I certainly don't have 5 vehicles with water ingress. Not quite sure where he/she got those numbers from to be honest.
Hi Steve
If it was you he was referring to, he has a building supplies place near Tattenhall. Didn’t quite know what to make of him so wasn’t convinced he had all his facts correct. His ‘report’ doesn’t seem to reflect the numbers on here where water ingress does not seem quite so common. Glad to report mine as absolutely watertight.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Steve
If it was you he was referring to, he has a building supplies place near Tattenhall. Didn’t quite know what to make of him so wasn’t convinced he had all his facts correct. His ‘report’ doesn’t seem to reflect the numbers on here where water ingress does not seem quite so common. Glad to report mine as absolutely watertight.
No worries, glad you're enjoying your car! (y)

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score

I have exactly the same issue drivers side RHD 100% repeatable. Dealer waiting on instructions for a fix

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking back to some of the "imaginative" JLR recall remedies for various things, and can't help thinking the solution is just to drill a hole in lower sill at the lowest point between the two seals and just allow this water to drain out.
Tempting but I prefer to create a temporary “leak” on the seal. I’m pondering options.

Back
Top Bottom