The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water in passenger footwell (RHD vehicle)

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
Today, after heavy rain fall. I have water collected on the door sills. When I opened my drivers side door, some water came gushing out. However the interior is dry. I suspect that water is from the front roof gutter running down the edge of the doors which is fine by why does it collect inside on the sills.
First rain and it collected between the seals on the driver side ( RHD ) - i think you are right - its coming from the the top of the gutter and getting in between the seals - the car is dry

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
First rain and it collected between the seals on the driver side ( RHD ) - i think you are right - its coming from the the top of the gutter and getting in between the seals - the car is dry
It’s an easy fix you can do yourself. The seal on the door (outer seal) has come loose. So basically clean the area where it has come loose with alcohol wipes. Use a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive on the rubber and stick it back down. Job done. Worked for me and no more issues.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
It’s an easy fix you can do yourself. The seal on the door (outer seal) has come loose. So basically clean the area where it has come loose with alcohol wipes. Use a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive on the rubber and stick it back down. Job done. Worked for me and no more issues.
That's exactly how it was for me at the time and I solved it in the same way. I don't cut a piece out of the rubber seal!

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
I need to also look in to the 'dripping' in the lefthand side footwell issue (RHD version). On a totally dry day, with AC on, my wife reported water drops hit her feet! Hmmmm, so this is not just limited to rainwater ingress as many members have noted and the fix is likely proper lagging to AC ductwork as some other members have noted. That will be unfortunate.
I am getting the same, occasional water dripping into the left footwell from the air vent located on the transmission tunnel. It seems to be proceeded by a gurgling sound that comes from behind the centre console area. I think it is water coming off the aircon evaporator which is pooling or not draining correctly.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had some water intrusion on my passenger footwell as well. Originally thought it was due to the safari windows so I carefully applied some electrical tape around the seals to eliminate any chances of water getting under them until I can get back to the dealer. Thought this fixed the problem but every now and then I’d have some water collecting again in the footwell. Figured it wasn’t 100% sealed at the safari window until my drive home last night in a heavy downpour. Now I’ve found the culprit, just need some guidance on how to fix (pics below). Water looks to be coming in though the interior AC cabin filter access vent and drips right down into the passenger footwell. Going to take off the access points under the hood to check out the area underneath but wanted to see if anyone else had something similar.

This only happens when driving in the rain. I’ve had the Grenadier sitting outside in some heavy downpour and it’s been completely dry. Makes me think it’s the driving that’s helping to force/guide the water into the air intake for the vents/AC.

For what it’s worth my dealer has been very receptive and willing to help, I’m just 3 hours away and want to wait for the tow hitch update before taking my car back in so we can knock everything out at once. Feel like this water leak could be an easy fix and I don’t mine doing it myself.

IMG_0927.jpegIMG_0928.jpeg

Reactions: PBD

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
I’ve had some water intrusion on my passenger footwell as well. Originally thought it was due to the safari windows so I carefully applied some electrical tape around the seals to eliminate any chances of water getting under them until I can get back to the dealer. Thought this fixed the problem but every now and then I’d have some water collecting again in the footwell. Figured it wasn’t 100% sealed at the safari window until my drive home last night in a heavy downpour. Now I’ve found the culprit, just need some guidance on how to fix (pics below). Water looks to be coming in though the interior AC cabin filter access vent and drips right down into the passenger footwell. Going to take off the access points under the hood to check out the area underneath but wanted to see if anyone else had something similar.

This only happens when driving in the rain. I’ve had the Grenadier sitting outside in some heavy downpour and it’s been completely dry. Makes me think it’s the driving that’s helping to force/guide the water into the air intake for the vents/AC.

For what it’s worth my dealer has been very receptive and willing to help, I’m just 3 hours away and want to wait for the tow hitch update before taking my car back in so we can knock everything out at once. Feel like this water leak could be an easy fix and I don’t mine doing it myself.

View attachment 7846365View attachment 7846366
Thanks for the info. Is this photo from inside the cabin or from the bonnet side. Let us know if you find how it is getting in and if you find a fix. Thanks, DaBull

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is this photo from inside the cabin or from the bonnet side. Let us know if you find how it is getting in and if you find a fix. Thanks, DaBull
It’s from inside the cabin just in front of the glove box. If you wiggle up under the dash you can see the vent and filter.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s from inside the cabin just in front of the glove box. If you wiggle up under the dash you can see the vent and filter.
Thanks Andiamo. DaBull

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok. So used this as an excuse to wash the Grenadier! After removing the access panels (x1 10mm hex nut) this is what you see. Took pics of the AC switched between recirculating and outside air. Interesting to note that with the car switched to off it repositioned to the midway point.

Wondering if I’m missing a deflector if some sort to keep it from sucking water in while driving? Anyone else able to remove their panel to compare?

Last pic is from inside looking up at the filter. Plenty of light showing through with the cover off.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0940.jpeg
    IMG_0940.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the detail. You usually use recirculation during the summer when you have the A/C on but at same time it's most likely to rain. In winter you have fresh air the prevent humidity build up. But you have snow so it's less likely to get into the vent. I wonder if us PNW people who have rain from Oct 15 to July 5th, will need to drive around with the vent close, air condition on and seat warmers at full blast. That last line is sarcastic.

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Ok. So used this as an excuse to wash the Grenadier! After removing the access panels (x1 10mm hex nut) this is what you see. Took pics of the AC switched between recirculating and outside air. Interesting to note that with the car switched to off it repositioned to the midway point.

Wondering if I’m missing a deflector if some sort to keep it from sucking water in while driving? Anyone else able to remove their panel to compare?

Last pic is from inside looking up at the filter. Plenty of light showing through with the cover off.
I think it is missing a cover?

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took the outer cover off to get access to the AC inlet (pic of cover below). Not sure if there’s an additional cover that I’m missing. I did dump a bucket of water through the inlet in front of the windscreen to see if perhaps a drain was plugged and the water drains freely. IMG_0941.jpeg

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's mad that we have to do these types of investigations ourselves. That said, for a keen group of owners really taken by the vehicle, problem solving is something we can deal with.
In addition. The knowledge gained on this forum is invaluable. I can now go to my dealer and discuss in detail, aspects of the vehicle and how any issues may be resolved.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
It's mad that we have to do these types of investigations ourselves. That said, for a keen group of owners really taken by the vehicle, problem solving is something we can deal with.
In addition. The knowledge gained on this forum is invaluable. I can now go to my dealer and discuss in detail, aspects of the vehicle and how any issues may be resolved.
Last time I was at my dealer, the technician told me he fixed some rubbers of the doors that became loose (I wasn't aware).
He told me that the double-sided adhesive tape used by Ineos is of a much lesser quality than the one used by Mercedes. :-(

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last time I was at my dealer, the technician told me he fixed some rubbers of the doors that became loose (I wasn't aware).
He told me that the double-sided adhesive tape used by Ineos is of a much lesser quality than the one used by Mercedes. :-(
Jean - the contact/tape used on the door seals on the INEOS generally are pretty poor... mine come unstuck in 33c temperature in QLD here... I was able to push them back on at about 28c and they stayed there for now but come separated every time it gets to mid 30c here. A fix I will ask my dealer about.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Andiamo - I am now intrigued. It is pouring rain here for then next few days, but I'll take a look on the weekend...

Back
Top Bottom