The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water in passenger footwell (RHD vehicle)

mighty_mf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
It's been bone dry in the UK for the last few weeks - since I collected my Grenadier. Shale Blue Utility - rough and smooth packs.

Naturally I love it

A few of the silly error messages - power steering, transmission, airbag...all that nonsense, I can forgive for now and I just ignore it

Been back and forth 150 miles each way this weekend. Longest trip so far

Yesterday was very warm and dry. a fair bit of water had gathered in the passenger (left hand) footwell by the end of the journey. Aircon had been on and running well.

It seems to run down from the inside (ie towards the middle of the car) footwell and gather on the rubber mat. Maybe a teacup of water was there. Did the same again today on the way back, although there was some rain.

What could this be?

Mike

PS - only error messages on the long drive were TPMS related ones

I also managed to get the vehicle into Low Range which had been too stiff before, waited until everything was well warmed up
Mike,
I have exactly the same issue, water in left side footwell. My dealer told me that I am not the only one in Switzerland and that they are currently investigating this problem. They suspect that it is the A/C. Keep you posted.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:56 PM
Reaction score
Mike,
I have exactly the same issue, water in left side footwell. My dealer told me that I am not the only one in Switzerland and that they are currently investigating this problem. They suspect that it is the A/C. Keep you posted.
We had a similar drop of water onto my wife's right foot in the passenger seat - definitely AC (it's a RHD vehicle). Not a lot but I will keep an eye on it.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
I have another slant on possible water ingress problems. Mine had its first shower of rain last night (only 2mm - it‘s dry here) and was parked fairly level. I opened the drivers door, and as I was getting in had a shower come down into the footwell from above. The door sealing area was completely dry prior to this - it only happened as I put my weight onto the vehicle.
I noted it was coming from the rubber on the front corner of the cab and tracking around the pillar, then falling into the footwell.
I then removed the rubber and noted there is a V shaped cutout in the roof gutter, which is roughly where the water flow originated from. To my thinking it should probably be further towards the windscreen so it doesn’t track around the pillar.
The rubber was full of an algae like scum as was the gutter.
Anyway, I cleaned both front (same story both sides) and checked the rear. The rear were fine, but be careful if you take them off - there’s two Christmas tree studs concealed behind the flat bit across the rear of the vehicle which could be easily damaged. Sorry, forgot to get photos of rear.
To conclude, I think it’s a bit of poor design work on the front corners, and will be one of those area that needs constant attention not to get blocked up, hold water, or collect salty sand etc.
I also hope they may redesign a less complicated corner moulding with an open top that directs water to the windscreen when it’s stationary, and will not block up and hold water.

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpeg
    IMG_5898.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5889.jpeg
    IMG_5889.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5894.jpeg
    IMG_5894.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5891.jpeg
    IMG_5891.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 141

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Further to the above, you can see how the rubber moulding completely covers the roof gutter and by the look of my other photo, only leaves a small passage for the water to flow through.

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 143

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have another slant on possible water ingress problems. Mine had its first shower of rain last night (only 2mm - it‘s dry here) and was parked fairly level. I opened the drivers door, and as I was getting in had a shower come down into the footwell from above. The door sealing area was completely dry prior to this - it only happened as I put my weight onto the vehicle.
I noted it was coming from the rubber on the front corner of the cab and tracking around the pillar, then falling into the footwell.
I then removed the rubber and noted there is a V shaped cutout in the roof gutter, which is roughly where the water flow originated from. To my thinking it should probably be further towards the windscreen so it doesn’t track around the pillar.
Anyway, I cleaned both front (same story both sides) and checked the rear. The rear were fine, but be careful if you take them off - there’s two Christmas tree studs concealed behind the flat bit across the rear of the vehicle which could be easily damaged. Sorry, forgot to get photos of rear.
To conclude, I think it’s a bit of poor design work on the front corners, and will be one of those area that needs constant attention not to get blocked up, hold water, or collect salty sand etc.
I also hope they may redesign a less complicated corner moulding with an open top that directs water to the windscreen when it’s stationary, and will not block up and hold water.
A permanent water trap without an aftermarket fix. This will be a long-term issue and will result in heavy rust in future years. We all need to be mindful of this.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
To conclude, I think it’s a bit of poor design work on the front corners, and will be one of those area that needs constant attention
As soon as I saw the wide gutters and that front corner piece on the prototypes I knew it would be trouble. Toyota did a similar thing on their Coasters at the back where water was directed down over the rear window seal instead of the body, rusted out the window frames at the top.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
This will be a long-term issue and will result in heavy rust in future years.
Isn't that galvanized there? That should at least help, even if it doesn't mean to protect it against rust forever as salt and water will lead to a slow removal of the zinc layer. However, that could take fairly long (depending on how it was galvanised. Hot zinc dipped lasts very long. The window frame of my Series 2a is 52 years old and shows absolutely zero rust. But if it was galvanised the protection is rather low.

AWo

Last edited:

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
Picked up my Grenadier just under 3 weeks ago- weather has been pretty dry apart from the last week. Have got the issue with water cascading from the front door seals (both) when opened, as well as discovering water under both front footwell mouldings. Haven’t informed the dealer yet but wondering if there is a known fix for these problems yet? Can’t confirm but I’m also suspicious of the tailgate seal allowing water in as well.
would like to think Ineos are actively coming up with fixes for these issues…?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up my Grenadier just under 3 weeks ago- weather has been pretty dry apart from the last week. Have got the issue with water cascading from the front door seals (both) when opened, as well as discovering water under both front footwell mouldings. Haven’t informed the dealer yet but wondering if there is a known fix for these problems yet? Can’t confirm but I’m also suspicious of the tailgate seal allowing water in as well.
Hi Skiprat
Rest assured, there are fixes for the issues you have. Several members experiencing similar and Ineos will address these issues. Eventually!! 🤷‍♂

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is what i discussed elsewhere as a problem, and suggested a gargoyle for. I agree the gutter should direct water away from the body of the car, and particularly away from the A pillar and side of car. Its not great design, but a very easy bit to re-fit. Hoping at worst for one of us with 3d printing skill to sort it.

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding the wet feet issue when opening the doors, I can deal with it until a fix is found- the water in both footwells is more worrying- is there a known work around for this until Ineos can fix it? (Apart from ripping the floor mouldings up every time it rains? - I have safari windows BTW)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have a look at the „wet feet“ thread. There’s a solution by inserting a 4 mm hose into the seal of the door (5€ at Amazon for 5 meters). It works, it is cheap, it is removable!

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have a look at the „wet feet“ thread. There’s a solution by inserting a 4 mm hose into the seal of the door (5€ at Amazon for 5 meters). It works, it is cheap, it is removable!
Ok - thanks for the pointer- I remember reading somewhere about the fix you mention sometime in the last few months- I’ll get onto Amazon (or my local motor factors, preferably) and get that bit sorted 👍

Tony

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same issue with a cascade of water when opening LHS front door after heavy rain or washing my vehicle and it does appear to be water trapped between the inner and outer door seal. Asked my dealer if there was a fix for this (17/10/2023) and was told not as yet. If anyone is aware of a fix please let me know. Thanks.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same issue with a cascade of water when opening LHS front door after heavy rain or washing my vehicle and it does appear to be water trapped between the inner and outer door seal. Asked my dealer if there was a fix for this (17/10/2023) and was told not as yet. If anyone is aware of a fix please let me know. Thanks.
Have a look at the post above your post…

Andy Cooke

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I have this also, I was told it is a known issue and the are working on it. My drivers side door is also harder to close than the others, wonder if it is related to that
I also have a video, but too large to upload here so took a still from it. My thoughts are that the rubber seals on the window are not close enough and water is running down inside, but then baffles me how it sits between the inner and outer rubbers on the door sill. We have 4 doing the same trick apart from one, on the passenger side which is dry.

Attachments

• Splash.png
    Splash.png
    430.9 KB · Views: 45

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Isn't that galvanized there? That should at least help, even if it doesn't mean to protect it against rust forever as salt and water will lead to a slow removal of the zinc layer. However, that could take fairly long (depending on how it was galvanised. Hot zinc dipped lasts very long. The window frame of my Series 2a is 52 years old and shows absolutely zero rust. But if it was galvanised the protection is rather low.

AWo

Or maybe just a thin coat of permanent bedliner such as Line-X, Rhino Lining, Herculiner to the gutter? It won't help with drainage but would add decades of rust protection to the steel.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
I also have a video, but too large to upload here so took a still from it. My thoughts are that the rubber seals on the window are not close enough and water is running down inside, but then baffles me how it sits between the inner and outer rubbers on the door sill. We have 4 doing the same trick apart from one, on the passenger side which is dry.
Look up wet feet thread for solution on the waterfall

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I need to also look in to the 'dripping' in the lefthand side footwell issue (RHD version). On a totally dry day, with AC on, my wife reported water drops hit her feet! Hmmmm, so this is not just limited to rainwater ingress as many members have noted and the fix is likely proper lagging to AC ductwork as some other members have noted. That will be unfortunate.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These are becoming apparent. I'll be running all 3 situations via the dealer this week.

Back
Top Bottom