The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Do I like the Grenadier: Short Term 1200km/week Notes

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
Added VIN and SW etc to 1st post for reference.

Reactions: Sam

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wow!

At first glance, your review seemed dauntingly long: I was worried that you had fallen prey to logorrhea.
Very good review, thank you. (y)

How were you able to remember all the objects? Did you use a voice recorder?

Settings question. You can chose what to show in the so called INFO1-2-3-4 parts of the display.

Congrats for the car - and for the review. :)
No all by memory from just taking notice the last week, but I did edit in the dripping LH footwell - due likely to AC condensate!!! I had forgot that was so late typing! I come from a world where 'QA' is paramount (i.e. what a$$holes say!) and so just recall things generally in order as they appear or happen.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your first impressions are probably the only one I’ve read that has mentioned baby seats in the back. I appreciate the insight! If you are able to tell, how much space would there be between the baby seats if you installed two baby seats in the back? Would there be enough space for an adult between the two baby seats?

Thanks,
@archerwolf no problems at all my friend. Just my opinion, but I would think a sub 6' and 90kg person would fit. I am 5'10 and 70kg and fit between the seats easily. Except my broard shoulders... 🤭

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Comprehensive! Thanks @trobex

Out of all of the above, would be good to know which/any items that you’re looking to get the dealer to rectify? For example isn't there is a fix for the wet feet/ door seals?

- approx. VIN? (therefore build date)
- latest software?

… these things are helpful as we all track the state of the art

Cheers
I'll do an edit soon on what I will have dealer deal with. The obvious items are WATER INGRESS, Front of Right sensor issue, LH footwell (AC likely) condensate drip. But I'll go in a BOLD ADD to the end of the - off to dealer issues (need to make a coffee first!).

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do absolutely all your head unit functions work? eg attitude screen , compass if you have one , odometer , android auto (if you have it?)
On mine (minor hijack!) they all work as intended - best I can tell and AA works very well - no lag with AA that I can tell.. North reads as north! DAB radio is the major setback - it is bad. Sound level from speakers is excellent.

Reactions: Sam

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
I'll do an edit soon on what I will have dealer deal with. The obvious items are WATER INGRESS, Front of Right sensor issue, LH footwell (AC likely) condensate drip.
Water Ingress - personally I think it's wonderful that Ineos has designed this feature in, to make those of us nostalgic for their Old Defenders feel right at home 👏

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a few more 'items' to add / comment on, so what I might do is just ADD them to the original POST at the top for ease of a creating my list and starting with EDIT in front it what ever item I find. Ill run this for a few weeks as things either come up as good, or dealer verifies, or issue/concern arises, and other users might gain something good from my walls of text.

So, to add to my list of general thoughts:

Accelerator Pedal - I was going to let it go, the fact the acc-pedal sits about 20mm behind the brake pedal plane. However, today in my normal shoes (running / sneakers) my foot got relatively easily caught on the right side of the brake pedal as I did have to stop pretty quickly by moving my foot quite sharply to react (there was an occurring accident on our main highway that bought everyone to complete stop very quickly). I had to re-adjust quickly by moving my foot back to brake properly and then I did "HIT THE BRAKES" as hard as they go... stopped safely but only just... far closer than what should have been an otherwise safe stopping distance. It was a WTF moment and really the ONLY thing that caused the possible worsening of this situation was the depth of the accelerator pedal. So just a caution for some that running shoes due to their slightly widened sole can catch you unawares!

Hands-free Mic: it is pretty poor to be honest and I have had no less than 10 people comment that they can hear a lot of road noise and not much of me. I have to talk at a level that is above comfortable to be heard, but there is a fix for this?

Headlights - simply VERY Good. Used numerous times at night and each time I hit the high beam, it makes me laugh with internal happiness... it almost feels like a 120deg - 15K Lumens light bar is flooding my rural road. I can see sugar cane, trees on the hill about 300m away... so bright in fact the reflection back at me from normal road signs is partially blinding! Love em.

Reversing Camera - the off-center alignment is pretty average and tow bar line up is frustrating with this set up. However, the adjusted guidelines are pretty accurate when reversing in to carparking bays etc but the bad here outweighs the good. The other issue is the reversing lights shine directly into the camera at night and drastically distorts the image quality and visibility. All in all, this is not the best outcome.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
Reversing Camera - the off-center alignment is pretty average and tow bar line up is frustrating with this set up.
The question is , why is it offset?
Doesn't bother me , but anyway in advance of my new van I've ordered the Gator grv92mkt , very good price if you shop around. Will wire it up to the Gren and in due course the van.
I don't want any dash/windscreen mounted unit as the windscreen is very small to start with.

P.S. I have not read anywhere of a quiet voice phone issue fix.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
The question is , why is it offset?
Doesn't bother me , but anyway in advance of my new van I've ordered the Gator grv92mkt , very good price if you shop around. Will wire it up to the Gren and in due course the van.
I don't want any dash/windscreen mounted unit as the windscreen is very small to start with.

P.S. I have not read anywhere of a quiet voice phone issue fix.
My first instinct is to say that it is offset because of the different sized rear doors, but...
The reversing camera on my 200 series Land Cruiser is offset as well, and the rear of that vehicle is symmetrical.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t see why this is such a mystery? Isn’t the camera centred with the spare wheel? So obviously some style guru at Ineos decided it would look better there rather than cockeyed to the left of the door AND tyre but centre of the actual car, where the people who actually use the thing would prefer it to be and dang the style police.

As mentioned above, the 200 Series is also offset, and I manage to use the camera to line up trailers/vans just fine so I doubt the IG will be any different.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t see why this is such a mystery? Isn’t the camera centred with the spare wheel? So obviously some style guru at Ineos decided it would look better there rather than cockeyed to the left of the door AND tyre but centre of the actual car, where the people who actually use the thing would prefer it to be and dang the style police.

As mentioned above, the 200 Series is also offset, and I manage to use the camera to line up trailers/vans just fine so I doubt the IG will be any different.
It's not the best to line a trailer up and even 20mm off centre is shyte - especially when the trailer is up at 2.1T and pulling that over in the grass is a PITA. Comparing to the 200 series launched in 2007 probably highlights how wrong the design is! But it is what it is and people need to be aware is a fair way of centre and night nights in reverse flare the picture badly.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I find the offset rear camera view to be a real PITA when reversing to hitch up. Why could they not have provided an offset centre guideline?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know, that's one of the things I didn't dismount yet ;)
But if you move it, you have hole in the original position that you should fill up.
1. Blanking grommet
2. A cork
3. Duct tape
4. (For the win) weld and paint.
5. Install the Gator unit with it's own cam

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1. Blanking grommet
2. A cork
3. Duct tape
4. (For the win) weld and paint.
5. Install the Gator unit with it's own cam
Or leave it there, and instal another one ?

Back
Top Bottom