The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Do I like the Grenadier: Short Term 1200km/week Notes

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Seating, Comfort & Driving Outlook
THE GOOD AND MANAGEABLE

- Seats are excellent and seem to be quite comfortable for all those who have been in the car so far (WIFE included!). Only minor gripe, the driver's seat for me personally feels like it is curving my shoulder blades forward a little... if the lateral supports were just another 30mm apart, this seat would be a fantastically great seat. But now I am just picking.
- Front passenger seating and leg arrangement is excellent in my view - wife agrees and loves it.
- Rear seats are that - a place I will not sit! However, both forward and rear facing baby seats fit well and SIT well, they do no slide and are firmer than normal seats which for us is a bonus! Plenty of leg room too.
- Steering wheel is very good in my view. Having two semi-circle top and bottom for me is ideal. I cannot stand steering wheels where the low middle is divided... I just plain like the Gren's steering wheel. Buttons are well positioned and easy to remember. The wheel feels like quality too.
- View from cockpit is excellent. I feel more aware in this vehicle than any I have owned previously bar motorbikes.
- EDIT: AC works perfectly fine. Cold, lots of airflow.
- Kids love the view from the back - lots of window space and they can actually see the road, the trees, etc. Love it.
- I am 5'10" and have just enough visibility UNDER the window lines to be comfortable. Some lights I need to 'bend forward' to view.
- Glove box is small, but I normally don't use or care too much for them and it fits a few accessories.
- Side steps are a must for getting in and out. I like them, can kick water and mud off my boots before getting in.
THE BAD
- RHD footwell intrusion :poop: - probably a few sighs here from some forum members! I will get to it: - in the end it does become pretty unsatisfying trying to find a truly comfortable position and I can 100% feel how others that have issues with this actually feel. It is ok for some, but not all. This was my no1 issue after driving the PT03 several times, and for me personally is the primary comfort gremlin for the as built vehicle (however not a sellable issue I have decided!). My $40K Single Cab ute has a better leg and comfort position than my GREN - but I will deal with it. I did about 800km of travel on the highway this week within the 1200+km total, and I got to testing as many possible seating arrangements as the seat allowed. I broke the three adjustments in to 9 separable zones (imagine a grid of 3x3) and sat in these zones for various trips. Most are pretty ordinary with the footrest in that position, however, I found two zones where at least my leg and center of balance as a close to 'good' as it can be. However, in both my left knee is forced to rest directly against the forward center console with pressure greater than is comfortable, because neither allows my leg to rest on the squab of the seat (I am a skinny bugger). So, I am looking at installing a 4mm thick boat foam rubber pad to the side of the plastic console which I can then rest the bone of my knee against... not ideal but it is a good solution for me and that is just how is it... still causes the left side of my foot to get achy because it's hard to sit with my foot FLAT on the rest, and, hip is still off center a little to right leg alignment and causes minor numbness at about 1hr of driving but thats where I then adjust from my personal preference of Tolerable Position 1 to Tolerable Position 2, and weekly Chiro will take care of the rest! Failing all that, the little, tiny glove box will still fit Rose-Tinted Glasses!!!
- The forward console could have been at least 40-50mm narrower... to give my left knee somewhere to go. Et al a continuance of the above!
- Cars have been around awhile.... yeah? How can anyone design a center console that fits/rests next to nothing. Cup holders are surely the design teams Meme Joke of the Week - they fit only 'skinny extra small coffee' cups. Not even my narrow body aluminum coffee cup fits and it literally falls out of the Mazda and Isuzu cup holders. Sports bottle - NO. 600mm water bottle - NO, wait YES but only after you take a few sips out and crush the bottom to fit! OK - enough of that. Oh, and to fit a new Phone - you jest. Oh - can drop the keys in to the cup well! After market it is!
- The 'pokey' little flat spot behind the gear shifter/hi-low lever: that is not storage INEOS but fair play - you tried! Wife said to me on 1st trip... "where the hell does anything fit!". Found a use, I can stick down one of my Garage remotes to it! Ok so can be used.

Steering - On Road Performance
- On bitumen and including my windy and partially bumpy drive home, the steering in my opinion is quite good, easy, comfortable, barely any feedback from potholes, Yeah, I like it. Feels real.
- The 1st 300kms I found myself 'over correcting' for what I would normally do for minor normal straight-line adjustments on the highway as the initial movement of the wheel delivers very little actually real vehicle return. However, by 300kms the steering feels 2nd nature to me and for the last 4 or 5 days I have not noticed myself doing anything other than just driving, hand on wheel, with nil thought as to how the wheel will do its job. It just does.
- The vague feeling is real, but it actually becomes and attuned vagueness. I do not notice it at all now to be fair.
- My wife noticed it immediately on her initial two drives, as she has little experience in BIG car handling, or old cars for that matter. She had a WTF moment for a bit, then, she was ok with it because she just has to be!

Controls / Buttons / Levers
- BMW lever is simple to use. Manual mode is not so good though, it slips back to normal drive mode far too easily with barely a whisper of force required to accidently move it out of Manual mode. The ZF-1 on my 2010 Ford XR6 Turbo was far more secure in manual mode... anyway just a thought on its function. Manual mode in my view should always be 'towards the driver' and not away from us - that would make the world of difference here.
- Diff Lock-High worked easily enough - same amount of force that I expected from PT03 test driving. Have not tested front/rear diff locks as yet - time!
- Manual forward control panel & buttons/turn knobs (AC/Stop Start/etc) are all functionally good in my view. Stop start and Sensor warning should both be on the driver's side together / close to. Reaching way over to turn off Auto S/S every time I start the vehicle is annoying, but it has to be done.
- Centre seating console turb knob and buttons can be used, but touch screen is faster and easier at present.
- The old FLIGHT DECK panel at ceiling - it is one cool thing to show off. Have not really used as yet bar lighting set up for door open/shut etc. Feels solid and definitely needs some added equipment connected to it!
- Steering wheel buttons - very good in my opinion and I use them quite frequently. Layout is exactly as I like it.
Steering - it is designed that "BUILT ON PURPOSE"

Don't know how many previous 4x4's you've owned or how much off road driving or technical you've driven, the steering is absolutely perfect! It's designed for Off-Road, you DO NOT want steering to react with each incremental movement, otherwise you'd be driving off that mountain track or into deeper holes at every turn! I think the steering is PERFECT, let alone the degree of engineering of the suspension and steering together.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Infotainment Screen & KEY INDICATOR Panel
- Key Indicator panel - good cause it will do what it needs to do - shows lots of things and hopefully not many of these lights up red for us!
- INFOTAINMENT is generally ok. Bit laggy on Audio modes. Map on LEFT side of screen... yeah that is not ideal - someone said it can be swapped?
- Speedo - on info screen - not a fan still after 1200+kms. Just an abstract location for the most important thing in SEQLD. Fines here are like buying candy for the unsuspecting and looking that far down and left is a hinderance. But I will install a HUD to fix that issue!
- The other info screen tabs are good and show information in generally good and easy to use manner.
- No outside Air Temp? - not a deal breaker but is useful. THIS CAN BE SWITCHED ON IN CONTROL PANEL
- Android auto works perfectly fine for me - no issues at all (WISH I HAD SOMEWHERE TO PUT MY PHONE).
BAD
- the entirety of the map area can be effectively become non-viewable due to the direct reflection of the left rear passenger window. On a bright day, all I can see is the window reflecting back at me... yeah that is my no.1 gripe with the control and panel layout and orientation of the physical unit which cannot be adjusted.
- Fuel gauge is cooked and not even close to accurate. At 'half way' mark, I have actually used nearly 60 litres based on fuel top up... that is not reliable! SOFTWARE FIX?
- Remaining fuel range is also cooked - with apparently 35 litres in the tank, range was 129kms. With a full tank, 560kms??? No. It is all wrong.
- I will just top up at the half mark.
- DAB radio is plain and simply BAD, even when I can see the tower just over there - see you turn the word around and that is exactly what it is. The DAB in this GREN is either faulty or the towers are under attack. It kicks in, can gear the radio, then silences out to nearly 0, then rises again - rinse and repeat. Yeah, not good. So, FM it is for now. DEALER FIX

On Road & General Driving

- Off the mark response is a bit lagged and so you need to plan about .3 - .4 seconds ahead if you wanna dash off the mark, but once moving it feels alive & menacing enough for its size!
- Exhaust note is a nice touch.
- Twin turbos spooling up under gentle but increasing throttle pressure - also a nice touch.
- Per my early post of a long up hill drive to Lamington National Park, the engine matchup is excellent, power is excellent, responsiveness is excellent. It does not feel strained one bit whilst luging this piece of machinery up a hill.
- I have not towed as yet so no comment on drawn weight and handling.
- Corner handling for a proper sized and weighty 4X4 is excellent. Body roll... honestly less than the wife's CX5.
- K02 tyres have given me no grief as yet in dry and wet conditions. Road noise is comparable to most other off-road tyre set ups that I have had in my lifetime.
- Cruise control works very and the diesel holds true to the speed effortlessly. Up a hill, barely notice a 1km drop in speed before the engine easily regains to set speed. I like it.
- Using manual gear mode for decline speed control works for a little bit (i.e. trying to sit at 70 or 80 down Tamborine-Oxenford Drive), but once you start the decline of these types of mountain road Tamborine/Springbrook roads set in - engine braking is not so effective as that nearly 3T becomes a locomotive. But the brakes make up for that, they are excellent in my opinion.
- Did I say the brakes on the Gren are good - they are. For standard on road brakes, they perform very well. Tested in wet also, still perform as expected - very well.
ONLY A MINOR THING:
- At idle there is a noticeable feel and loudness full vehicle vibration - however after about 4-5 seconds at idle (say lights) the vibration noticeably drops to a 'half' level of vibration. I get no other vibrations in this vehicle in any gear or RPM so far that I can notice - just at idle. Ill confirm with agent but for me not an issue really but almost enough to wake sleeping children, so a non-issue for now? DEALER CHECK
- Other than that, I have no on road issues or concerns at present, nothing to complain about. Vehicle is doing exactly what it should do and quite well at that.

Fuel Consumption
- I managed to keep an eye on about 800kms of general road travel (my daily work route). Combination of:
(30%) minor rural bitumen roads (all sub 80km),
(60%) the highway stint never over 110km but varies from 60-110km with quite a bit of start and stop for the first 10-15kms of the nearly 35kms highway run. Average is probably 80km on a normal day (so many people moving here stuffing our roads up).
(10%) shorter stint to the city outskirt/work area all sub 80kms.
- I have managed on my daily 90km-110km rounds trips to sit between 10.2L to 10.5L / 100km according to read out, and based on actual fuel fill up measure, that seems to be about right.
- I find when my daily work trip is allowing me to run the full highway speed of 110kms, that fuel econ drops quite a bit and that same trip at the higher speeds yields roughly 10.6 - 10.9L/100km.
- Setting cruise control at 100kms and having a free run on reasonably flat highway for roughly 30kms saw a read out of 10.1L/100km. That to me seems quite reaonsable.
- Setting cruise control at 110kms and having a free run on reasonably flat highway for roughly 30kms saw a read out of 11.1L/100km (same route as above). For a two-storey brick at 110, that seems pretty good. There seems to be a fairly heavy penalty for ever 1km over 100km/hr.
- All in all, this is fine for me, sub 11L was my goal for the general commuting and it exceeds that, and my last two daily runs for work saw an average 10.3L and 10.5L / 100km (funnily as good as claimed on the IA spec doc!).
- A stock 135L tank would have been nice...

Electrical Gremlins
- The 1st morning after collecting the Gren, the TPMS beeped at me! Tyre pressure system read as malfunctioned. All good, tyres look good to me - so I drove it two more times and it disappeared and has not come back as yet.
- The 2nd morning after ownership, the TCS and ESC both read as malfunctioned. No problems I thought, drive another 90kms and start it up later that arvo and errors gone. So far, has not come back.
- Currently front right of centre parking sensor is faulty. It reads round about traffic and beeps at me, beeps at me when stopping behind another car at lights (but at 4 meters!). Will notify agent.
- And that is it - to be fair the electronics on this vehicle so far have been effectively AOK, which seems to be a big departure from some of our current members! Sorry @Jean Mercier @Tazzieman

Short-term Summary:
- Great vehicle in my opinion when simply looking at the standard day to day on road use. It is great to drive, can be fun when needed (just watch your fuel gauge!).
- Fuel econ is good for nearly 3T on the road, in my view engine and handling performance on the road is excellent, ease of drivability and general non-footrest related comfort is excellent.
- Lack of storage is annoying, cup holders shoot me now - I do like coffee and the Gren obviously does not want to get stained!
- Footrest RHD version is what it is - just a design stuff up as LHD was designed 1st, but I will personally manage the solution for comfort.
- Water ingress due to rain via front doors and tailgates. Right now, water flowing into the cabin/on to door control panels/into cargo bay area - all annoying and will require a long-term solution. Wonder what happens after a wash, tell you on weekend when I wash it! DEALER FIX
- I do not miss ANY of the 'SAFETY' assist functions from other modern cars. Thankyou Ineos for removing these annoying features.
- Long term ownership it will be - I have no doubt. Wife and I are loving this truck.
- People stare at you - a lot. I find it amusing and giving people a half coy wink gets a chuckle from some.
Re fuel economy- I GPS'd the speedo and @ 115klm/h your actual ground speed is ~ 110. I also did see someone had developed a kneepad for the console, for the life of me I cannot remember where unfortunately.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Steering - it is designed that "BUILT ON PURPOSE"

Don't know how many previous 4x4's you've owned or how much off road driving or technical you've driven, the steering is absolutely perfect! It's designed for Off-Road, you DO NOT want steering to react with each incremental movement, otherwise you'd be driving off that mountain track or into deeper holes at every turn! I think the steering is PERFECT, let alone the degree of engineering of the suspension and steering together.
I missed your reply - I actually like the steering and I don't think I implied anywhere that it should be changed??? Or did I typo my own???

Steering for me is good with the only problem turning circle is shit - had to do a 3 point at the lights the other day and nearly caused an accident!!! It has the worst turning circle of all vehicles I have owned.

I am not a hard lined offroad expert like some here but have owned personally 6no. x 4X4s and driven probably 20± for extended periods be it work or play. I ran the Gren through some off road last week out the back of the Borders Ranges area in northern NSW and simply put - I love how the Gren performs off road and on rough.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Re fuel economy- I GPS'd the speedo and @ 115klm/h your actual ground speed is ~ 110. I also did see someone had developed a kneepad for the console, for the life of me I cannot remember where unfortunately.
After my last Android update I have on road read out of 110kms with GPS telling me 106kms rather consistently. This would align with your findings too.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
It was in the video where a guy had lots of work done to his truck - especially the stereo setup.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Krabby please comment where the pad was from 🙏
That pad looks good in the shots - I ordered a rubber backed wrist pad (same you use for a computer table!) and will use a 3M thin foam double sided sheet OR ill use shoe contact if that doesn't work... trial and error!

1703165794685.png

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I missed your reply - I actually like the steering and I don't think I implied anywhere that it should be changed??? Or did I typo my own???

Steering for me is good with the only problem turning circle is shit - had to do a 3 point at the lights the other day and nearly caused an accident!!! It has the worst turning circle of all vehicles I have owned.

I am not a hard lined offroad expert like some here but have owned personally 6no. x 4X4s and driven probably 20± for extended periods be it work or play. I ran the Gren through some off road last week out the back of the Borders Ranges area in northern NSW and simply put - I love how the Gren performs off road and on rough.
I’m not disputing your experience - but the turning radius is only 3’ more than my X5….

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
After 3000km on a diesel Trialmaster I agree with Trobex.

In fact the only gremlin is the indicators occasionally change there sound from a tick to all sorts of variations.

I just hope my vehicle when it arrives is as good as this loaner!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Totally agree regarding turning circle. On the steering front I must be lucky as I never experienced any significant steering issues since owning.

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Trobex,
We love our Grenadier... The co-driver is impressed, so all is good...She pointed out something today that I had not noticed...
The front left bumper in the last couple of days - it seems to have drooped a cm or more... so it is now noticeable. We have been doing a grocery run - a couple of trips a day on a smooth but corrugated farm road near Willcania... As the bumper is in several components, I think a screw has shaken loose.
Thanks for your detailed list...It's the odd things that have me wondering... We know the front door handle on the passenger side, and ours sticks erratically. Everything is minor... or easily fixable so far.

... but as two older and sedate drivers - we rate the Grenadier as top-class already, and the TOOT is a hoot!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trobex,
We love our Grenadier... The co-driver is impressed, so all is good...She pointed out something today that I had not noticed...
The front left bumper in the last couple of days - it seems to have drooped a cm or more... so it is now noticeable. We have been doing a grocery run - a couple of trips a day on a smooth but corrugated farm road near Willcania... As the bumper is in several components, I think a screw has shaken loose.
Thanks for your detailed list...It's the odd things that have me wondering... We know the front door handle on the passenger side, and ours sticks erratically. Everything is minor... or easily fixable so far.

... but as two older and sedate drivers - we rate the Grenadier as top-class already, and the TOOT is a hoot!
Yes, the bumpers of many grenadiers hang down slightly at the front. I don't think many people realise that. It's insignificant. We know the door knobs and know how to use them. And I've used the toot button a few times now. So far it's gone down well.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the bumpers of many grenadiers hang down slightly at the front.
I think the majority of Grenadier owners, male and female, are of such a vintage that they have things on their own "chassis" that hang down perhaps more than they used to - but don't cause any real trouble 😁

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the bumpers of many grenadiers hang down slightly at the front. I don't think many people realise that. It's insignificant. We know the door knobs and know how to use them. And I've used the toot button a few times now. So far it's gone down well.
The Bumpers are also such a wonderful seat .... we decided at contract time to build without a roo bar; the seat created has been popular.
We are at 6,500 km, and I have had my finger on the toot button, but nobody with a Grenadier has passed us... There are plenty of those boring Toyotas, even a new Troopie in desert brown... His manner of driving did not deserve a gentle Toot... and with no other Grenadiers, we have felt alone... The boss said it's because we have got our 'Cedric' dirty... personally, I think Scottish White suits a bit of dirt. Be well, everybody... Our adventures have begun.

Local time
Reaction score
Water Ingress - personally I think it's wonderful that Ineos has designed this feature in, to make those of us nostalgic for their Old Defenders feel right at home 👏
Several of my RR’s had that feature too

Back
Top Bottom