The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

USA Grenadier Experience (Texas Houston) 21-23 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
It was a great day! i spent about half a day just hanging out and talking to all the people passing through. They had the post sales director there for America who had only been with Ineos 6 months. The enthusiasm for us was fantastic. My favorite thing I found out yesterday was where the gas cap goes while you fill up. Lol
View attachment 7803984
Yea, looks like a classic BMW part.

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
I think you nailed the answer right here.
And maybe this vehicle is not a good fit for them and they were never IG's intended target customer.

Some of the feedback from another reservationist at the event involved the price point vs other vehicles, especially if majority of driving is on road. They absolutely loved the test drive, but when you start approaching and/or passing that $80k+ price point, you have to consider other luxury vehicles and the interior comforts they offer. The Lexus GX and LX were mentioned. The IG's looks and abilities still tip them towards a purchase decision, but it's not as easy of a decision as it seemed to be for them pre-test drive. And maybe this vehicle is not a good fit for them and they were never IG's intended target consumer. Nevertheless, it's a valid consideration that I am sure other potential urban customers may struggle with.

Personally, I see tons of value in all the tier 1 components, engineering, and deliberate minimalism (no power seats, no auto windows, etc). And of course, I would make use of its capabilities. It should have less repairs on average and easily last 30+ years - that is the cost/yr math that helps me rationalize it. As others have said elsewhere, I hope IG keeps their niche design focus and resists the temptation to compromise in order to appeal to a broader audience.
The Ineos and GX/LX comparison is one I was hoping not to have to make. The comparisons in philosophy of use are closer than people might think.

My v8 4runner (same chassis and engine as the current GX) has over 250k miles. It's taken my family 10s of thousands of hard, off-road miles all over the southwest. It's capability and reliability are a known quantity. We treat it like a piece of equipment.

Maybe the Ineos Is more capable, but probably not much. The ramp travel index is about the same (with a nod to the GX's kdss) and electic traction control has taken me places without getting stuck that many on this forum would consider "too hardcore" for an overlander.

A GX has the edge in comfort and refinement, with vented seats, dual AC compressors, and on road manners.

Which is more reliable? The GX platform is know for going half a million miles. I beat the crap out of mine and it's been dead reliable for a quarter million miles. The Ineos uses great componets but it's not a know quantity and won't be for years.

I'd really like to buy an Ineos and use it to its full potential. We're lucky to live where we can drive hundreds of miles offroad on a regular basis. But if it ends up costing more than a reasonably specd GX, I'm really going to have to pause.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
Some of the feedback from another reservationist at the event involved the price point vs other vehicles, especially if majority of driving is on road. They absolutely loved the test drive, but when you start approaching and/or passing that $80k+ price point, you have to consider other luxury vehicles and the interior comforts they offer. The Lexus GX and LX were mentioned. The IG's looks and abilities still tip them towards a purchase decision, but it's not as easy of a decision as it seemed to be for them pre-test drive. And maybe this vehicle is not a good fit for them and they were never IG's intended target consumer. Nevertheless, it's a valid consideration that I am sure other potential urban customers may struggle with.

Personally, I see tons of value in all the tier 1 components, engineering, and deliberate minimalism (no power seats, no auto windows, etc). And of course, I would make use of its capabilities. It should have less repairs on average and easily last 30+ years - that is the cost/yr math that helps me rationalize it. As others have said elsewhere, I hope IG keeps their niche design focus and resists the temptation to compromise in order to appeal to a broader audience.
Well said! I think I talked to them too. Was it a father, son?

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Did the IG staff give any indication of pricing? It is going to be a delicate balance for IG and the public plus dealers.
They would not speak about price, but they did say they are doing a Franchise model for dealers in the US.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
Which is unfortunately going to negatively impact pricing issues since IA wont have control. Look at how some dealers are acting with cars like the Civic R, Bronco, Raptor, etc.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From FB. Not my comments but I thought you would like like to see. Link below.

Just did my test drive in Houston off-roading. Luckily it was raining all morning so plenty of knee deep water. We had to tow out 4 of them in one spot. Very awesome to drive. Loved it. Got snapped at once by some a-hole for videoing but I’d been told before we got in that we could take all the photos and videos we wanted so long as we didn’t film the interior of the ones we were driving. I’d been videoing outside so not sure why he was snappy. My driver said he was probably a little “miffed” they got it stuck lol.
Update with info and thoughts.
-Q2 spec sheet/pricing with hopeful Q4 delivery.
-Fenders have a load capacity of 300lbs
-No EPA fuel numbers or specifics on tank capacity for US
-Due to size of company and how distributing are NOT part of the Biden 2024 requirements of driver monitoring, lane assist, etc.
-Driving was done with tires at 50psi and not deflated any for course. Handling in deep sand and water was excellent. All driving done in low range
-12yr anti-corrosion warranty. Asked about steel wheels in the gulf coast. They said they’re still warranted for 12yrs.
-Chassis is triple dipped for anti-corrosion unlike GM trucks which use a waxy covering that easily comes off and rusts
-Chassis built with the thickness and robustness of a 1-ton pickup
-Carpet ordered in models isn’t a fancy carpet, it’s made to be rugged
-Cloth seats extremely comfortable and to me were better than the leather
-Windows were low enough to make the perfect arm rest.
-Door hinges are extremely robust
-Liked the stick shifter EXCEPT having to push a button for park felt wrong and like it could be a fail point in the future (get it wet or something).
-Possible option to include air compressor in the back
-Will have a brush guard option. They let all the after market companies come in and measure it. Will have more products coming.
-My buddy is 6’8” and I’m 6’. With him driving and me behind him I had plenty of leg room. Even with his height he had plenty of room and found it very comfortable. Even in the back seat.
-Center column with the turning knob and selective buttons are only for the software display. Does not have anything to do with any driving modes like in my Discovery.
-Diffs can be engaged and disengaged while driving. No need to put in neutral or reverse.
-Winch option comes with modded bumper with folding license plate (in Texas at least) to cover it. They also adjust the coil springs for the install weight.
-Trialmaster comes with raised air intake whether you want it or not. To me it’s the only option on it I don’t want but has everything else. Intake was very well attached but was told by the rep he’s going to order his then remove the intake and replace it with the original panel. I don’t know how difficult that will be.
-Wipers were swapped directions for the left hand drive. It was raining pretty solid while I was driving so we needed them. Zero clue what people are complaining about with the wipers. Never noticed an issue while being poured on. Big nothing burger.

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
-Trialmaster comes with raised air intake whether you want it or not. To me it’s the only option on it I don’t want but has everything else. Intake was very well attached but was told by the rep he’s going to order his then remove the intake and replace it with the original panel. I don’t know how difficult that will be.
Trialmaster...same for me. I was hoping it could be removed and panel installed too. Fingers crossed 🤞

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
The Ineos and GX/LX comparison is one I was hoping not to have to make. The comparisons in philosophy of use are closer than people might think.

My v8 4runner (same chassis and engine as the current GX) has over 250k miles. It's taken my family 10s of thousands of hard, off-road miles all over the southwest. It's capability and reliability are a known quantity. We treat it like a piece of equipment.

Maybe the Ineos Is more capable, but probably not much. The ramp travel index is about the same (with a nod to the GX's kdss) and electic traction control has taken me places without getting stuck that many on this forum would consider "too hardcore" for an overlander.

A GX has the edge in comfort and refinement, with vented seats, dual AC compressors, and on road manners.

Which is more reliable? The GX platform is know for going half a million miles. I beat the crap out of mine and it's been dead reliable for a quarter million miles. The Ineos uses great componets but it's not a know quantity and won't be for years.

I'd really like to buy an Ineos and use it to its full potential. We're lucky to live where we can drive hundreds of miles offroad on a regular basis. But if it ends up costing more than a reasonably specd GX, I'm really going to have to pause.
The Lexus LX is currently the only one available in Australia and it is just a Prado with an ugly face
It starts at $164,000 and goes up to $232,000 depending on model.
I doubt any buyers will ever take them onto a patch of lawn

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am headed to Bridgeport TX to drive the Grenadier on the 27th and am looking forward to it. Was looking forward to a short street drive (to get an idea of road noise) but now know that is not on the table.
Have to agree on the pricing as if at $80k many different vehicle options become available.

Local time
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat with a LC 200 that is shockingly good at everything from cross country highway driving with the family to rock-crawling in Moab to exploring Death Valley. It's proven, reliable, capable and comfortable.

That said, I'm still buying a Grenadier. It may be marginally better at some things, maybe not at good at others. I simply have to admit to that emotion, not function is my primary driver.

Local time
Reaction score
We drove down from Austin just for the event and was 100% impressed with the staff, setup, and vehicles. My wife was planning to ride along but there was an available truck so she was able to take the wheel. After driving she got out, looked at me, and said, "pass on the rivian...this is it". I agree on the price point being the most sensitive. The purposeful simplicity and ruggedness are going to challenge the price:value for the average buyer. I think the thing that hooked me was looking at the chassis. It was described as a 3/4 ton chassis built for half ton vehicle. It would have been great to get on road feel (event was low range with sand/water/mud) but that will have to wait for the usual bureaucracy to catch up. Great job North American team and if you are able to get out to any of the events I suspect you will be impressed. They asked for no in vehicle photos/video so here are a few pics from the event.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did they have and merch for sale? Or freebees?

Local time
Reaction score
We drove down from Austin just for the event and was 100% impressed with the staff, setup, and vehicles. My wife was planning to ride along but there was an available truck so she was able to take the wheel. After driving she got out, looked at me, and said, "pass on the rivian...this is it". I agree on the price point being the most sensitive. The purposeful simplicity and ruggedness are going to challenge the price:value for the average buyer. I think the thing that hooked me was looking at the chassis. It was described as a 3/4 ton chassis built for half ton vehicle. It would have been great to get on road feel (event was low range with sand/water/mud) but that will have to wait for the usual bureaucracy to catch up. Great job North American team and if you are able to get out to any of the events I suspect you will be impressed. They asked for no in vehicle photos/video so here are a few pics from the event.
Test drive a Rivian. I'm sure you'll want both. Frankly, that would be the perfect tandem of vehicles to have. Both capable Offroad, nice enough to drive for white collar work, can tow reasonable amounts, and can stick to the electric for short trips, grenadier for longer ones.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Here are a few photos I took at this event today.

Attachments

• EEDDAF2E-F65E-4266-A825-D60D9F82163F.jpeg
    EEDDAF2E-F65E-4266-A825-D60D9F82163F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 530846AD-751C-4F3B-9C95-48B9322826D1.jpeg
    530846AD-751C-4F3B-9C95-48B9322826D1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 225C6157-25D8-4C24-8698-9974E6A16EF5.jpeg
    225C6157-25D8-4C24-8698-9974E6A16EF5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 449D32C0-2B19-43C3-BD4B-4233C095E990.jpeg
    449D32C0-2B19-43C3-BD4B-4233C095E990.jpeg