The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

USA Grenadier Experience (Los Angeles Region California) 07-09 Mar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Part 2

The other stuff.

For me the Grenadier is a bit fugly, it always has been to my eye but I'm odd like that and I sort of like the fact that it has its own 'face' that only a mother could love. From the front the step out half way up the body is totally series/defender, I never really saw it until I stood there in person, front end the overall shape to my eye is G wagon and its a bit Jeepy at the back. Split door is great, I'd prefer a little larger on the small door but thats just me.

Interior this vehicle looks great from any seat in the house, controls are easily accessible, visible and muscle memory will quickly kick in when needed. I'd mentioned elsewhere that I thought the switchgear for a few of the controls was a bit bland and samey, but in person it's apparent that this was from the photographs coloration and not the case to the naked eye. The ignition and key is buried deep into the front dashboard, I'm not sure if this will be a bit of a niggle to people with it being caught on knees or not. The haptics on some of the switchgear is not correct as they are pre production switches fitted to these specific vehicles so that needs to be taken into consideration when people are testing the feel of things.

There will be some product placement in North America, and they are actively looking at partners for this. Hardly surprising really when they have started already in Europe.

I passed on the comment that people have to drive sometimes several hours to attend the events involving overnight stays etc so any increase in weekend events for people that can't just take a few days off work would go down very well. This seemed to be well received so fingers crossed.

I asked about a long wheel based version with 3 rows, which I personally would prefer. This was met with 'we are concentrating on getting this to market before committing to derivatives', the same was said about the pickup or double cab bare bones chassis version thats been spotted.

Some of the comments from the attendees were insightful. One chap that turned up in His Rivian truck said after his Grenadier drive that the Grenadier is everything that the Rivian is not, and thats why I'll be selling it. Other commentary was in person its much better looking than in photographs and its a lot meatier and feels a lot more sturdy than anything I've driven since being in the army.

NA dealers.

All I found out is that they have not publicly announced their dealers yet, I was basically told, stand by and wait. However quite a few of the event attendees have been prospective dealers who have thrown their hat in the ring to IA, hopefully we'll get some of the more reputable ones being selected. If you're at any of the events then you may get some information about this from the other attendees as they could well be an appointed dealer, especially as we get further into the year. There was however no mention that I remember of BMW other than as powertrain supplier.

I mentioned that we were discussing a group buy on the forum and there were quite a few hand raisers. This was met with a raised eyebrow and a barely discernible reply accompanied with a wry grin of that should get you a pretty good deal with whichever dealer you go with.... So reading into this we can take our allocation to the dealer of choice, however this is my interpretation only. My plus 1 for the event was an early hand raiser for a Bronco 2 door and the IA staff were very interested in hearing the first hand customer experience with the delay and delivery of his Bronco. They gladly took the keys and gave the Ford a thorough going over while we were on our drive.

Pricing.

NA pricing is still not public as we know. The conversation however centered around the NA market being a little different than that in most other parts of the world due to the choice of vehicle that directly or indirectly competes with the Grenadier. We talked about an 'exotic' and yes it seems silly to call the Grenadier that, which is potentially priced double to the entry level Jeep or Bronco being bought by someone on middle income and with a dealer potentially a few hundred miles away and the nearest service agent similarly distanced and how that would work. I suggested that there perhaps was a market for an absolute bare bones version in NA to get initial pricing as low as possible to broaden the affordability, this was duly noted.

IA themselves.

I'm not going to go into too much details here as it's not the place, but they have assembled some very experienced individuals both old school and new. Discussing chassis geometry and methodology with someone that was intimately part of the development of the Discovery 3 platform and conversations with people from the more speedier end of the automotive industry yesterday really hammered it home that IA were aiming to be real deal long term automotive manufacturer and not a flash in the pan startup. Even though they effectively are a startup at this stage, and have brought a vehicle to market in 5 years from a sketch made in a pub in London is testament to the drive and determination of the boss and the team that were assembled to bring the Grenadier to market. The original sketch is stuck to the 'Grenadier' ceiling by the way with hundreds of other paper bills from around the world, so don't forget to look up the next time you're in town...

Oh and kudos to the person that brought the new generation lowered GT3rs to the event, I hope you didn't wreck anything on the way up the trail to the staging point

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 10.39.58 AM.png He drove through this.....

This is all from memory, I didn't record a transcript, so if there's something missing or a glaring omission then please let me know.

And just because I have to. All words written here are not indicative of IA's company line, policy or formal opinion or that of any of their employees, at least on the record so says I.

(I just found out that there is a 10K character limit on posts)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, and the infotainment system, there's a read out for the alternator output state, Volts and Amps.

And finally, we discussed the reviews. The basic consensus seemed to be that the reviewers 'didn't get it' in regards to the Grenadier, in the fact that only a few really understood what the Grenadier was and is intended to be.

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
I assume every rattle and squeak has been addressed with loctite and felt long before they even got those cars stateside.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I assume every rattle and squeak has been addressed with loctite and felt long before they even got those cars stateside.

We discussed prepping vehicles for road tests and journalistic review as well as the extremes some manufacturers go to ensure the lack of squeaks and rattles etc. And I was assured this has not been the case with the Grenadier, the cynic in me raises an eyebrow, but deep down I want to believe :)

Right now I'm in the camp of 'its better than the alternatives that I can afford.'

Local time
Reaction score
We discussed prepping vehicles for road tests and journalistic review as well as the extremes some manufacturers go to ensure the lack of squeaks and rattles etc. And I was assured this has not been the case with the Grenadier, the cynic in me raises an eyebrow, but deep down I want to believe :)

Right now I'm in the camp of 'its better than the alternatives that I can afford.'
Great line of questioning. Thanks. We have a Rivian on order, did the owner get more specific?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Great line of questioning. Thanks. We have a Rivian on order, did the owner get more specific?
Unfortunately not. He was very matter of fact about the whole analogue digital platform and personal preference. As well as real buttons compared to things being buried in sub menus on a screen

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suggested that there perhaps was a market for an absolute bare bones version in NA to get initial pricing as low as possible to broaden the affordability, this was duly noted.
Did they go into how the US vehicles would be spec'd? The DFW event rep said the Fieldmaster and Trialmaster trims would be the base for the US, but an email reply from IA stated we'd be able to start from the 5 seat Station Wagon like the rest of the world. I choose to believe the email since the other might price me out. 😖

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
Stu - great comments and thanks for sharing!

Most 'important' question: what color are you choosing?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I've flip flopped so much on this, but I'm 99% sure it's going to be Eldoret Blue with white roof. But there may be a last minute change of heart or financial crunch dictating things.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I've not seen it in person, but that's my configuration too. Glad to hear you feel good about the color combo.
I've not seen the white roof with the blue, but it's a no brainer for me in LA. The Scottish white looked great as well, the images don't do it justice, I was not too impressed with the Magic Mushroom though in person as I think this looks great in images, but again its all personal preference. In all honesty I'd be happy with any colour, the palette seems pretty good overall.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
Part 2

The other stuff.

For me the Grenadier is a bit fugly, it always has been to my eye but I'm odd like that and I sort of like the fact that it has its own 'face' that only a mother could love. From the front the step out half way up the body is totally series/defender, I never really saw it until I stood there in person, front end the overall shape to my eye is G wagon and its a bit Jeepy at the back. Split door is great, I'd prefer a little larger on the small door but thats just me.

Interior this vehicle looks great from any seat in the house, controls are easily accessible, visible and muscle memory will quickly kick in when needed. I'd mentioned elsewhere that I thought the switchgear for a few of the controls was a bit bland and samey, but in person it's apparent that this was from the photographs coloration and not the case to the naked eye. The ignition and key is buried deep into the front dashboard, I'm not sure if this will be a bit of a niggle to people with it being caught on knees or not. The haptics on some of the switchgear is not correct as they are pre production switches fitted to these specific vehicles so that needs to be taken into consideration when people are testing the feel of things.

There will be some product placement in North America, and they are actively looking at partners for this. Hardly surprising really when they have started already in Europe.

I passed on the comment that people have to drive sometimes several hours to attend the events involving overnight stays etc so any increase in weekend events for people that can't just take a few days off work would go down very well. This seemed to be well received so fingers crossed.

I asked about a long wheel based version with 3 rows, which I personally would prefer. This was met with 'we are concentrating on getting this to market before committing to derivatives', the same was said about the pickup or double cab bare bones chassis version thats been spotted.

Some of the comments from the attendees were insightful. One chap that turned up in His Rivian truck said after his Grenadier drive that the Grenadier is everything that the Rivian is not, and thats why I'll be selling it. Other commentary was in person its much better looking than in photographs and its a lot meatier and feels a lot more sturdy than anything I've driven since being in the army.

NA dealers.

All I found out is that they have not publicly announced their dealers yet, I was basically told, stand by and wait. However quite a few of the event attendees have been prospective dealers who have thrown their hat in the ring to IA, hopefully we'll get some of the more reputable ones being selected. If you're at any of the events then you may get some information about this from the other attendees as they could well be an appointed dealer, especially as we get further into the year. There was however no mention that I remember of BMW other than as powertrain supplier.

I mentioned that we were discussing a group buy on the forum and there were quite a few hand raisers. This was met with a raised eyebrow and a barely discernible reply accompanied with a wry grin of that should get you a pretty good deal with whichever dealer you go with.... So reading into this we can take our allocation to the dealer of choice, however this is my interpretation only. My plus 1 for the event was an early hand raiser for a Bronco 2 door and the IA staff were very interested in hearing the first hand customer experience with the delay and delivery of his Bronco. They gladly took the keys and gave the Ford a thorough going over while we were on our drive.

Pricing.

NA pricing is still not public as we know. The conversation however centered around the NA market being a little different than that in most other parts of the world due to the choice of vehicle that directly or indirectly competes with the Grenadier. We talked about an 'exotic' and yes it seems silly to call the Grenadier that, which is potentially priced double to the entry level Jeep or Bronco being bought by someone on middle income and with a dealer potentially a few hundred miles away and the nearest service agent similarly distanced and how that would work. I suggested that there perhaps was a market for an absolute bare bones version in NA to get initial pricing as low as possible to broaden the affordability, this was duly noted.

IA themselves.

I'm not going to go into too much details here as it's not the place, but they have assembled some very experienced individuals both old school and new. Discussing chassis geometry and methodology with someone that was intimately part of the development of the Discovery 3 platform and conversations with people from the more speedier end of the automotive industry yesterday really hammered it home that IA were aiming to be real deal long term automotive manufacturer and not a flash in the pan startup. Even though they effectively are a startup at this stage, and have brought a vehicle to market in 5 years from a sketch made in a pub in London is testament to the drive and determination of the boss and the team that were assembled to bring the Grenadier to market. The original sketch is stuck to the 'Grenadier' ceiling by the way with hundreds of other paper bills from around the world, so don't forget to look up the next time you're in town...

Oh and kudos to the person that brought the new generation lowered GT3rs to the event, I hope you didn't wreck anything on the way up the trail to the staging point

View attachment 7805659 He drove through this.....

This is all from memory, I didn't record a transcript, so if there's something missing or a glaring omission then please let me know.

And just because I have to. All words written here are not indicative of IA's company line, policy or formal opinion or that of any of their employees, at least on the record so says I.

(I just found out that there is a 10K character limit on posts)
I agree with you on the looks Stu, particularly the plastic bumper version.
My previous Mazda BT50 was the same until you put the roo bar on it.
The Grenadier looks much better with metal bumper and bar work.

1678397798334.png1678397832827.png
1678398280332.png1678398026307.png
1678398447711.png

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would expect there to be a better aftermarket option for rebuilding the steering gearbox if it's that bad. That said, it shouldn't have that much play. I just replaced mine on my truck and it had that much slop, but only because it was worn out to hell. If anyone can take pictures of it and how accessible it is, it would be appreciated.
I didn't say it had play and that it is bad...I think you will have to wait until you have driven one, a production vehicle...it is not an issue if you understand the type of car that I doubt you are going to buy anyway.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I've flip flopped so much on this, but I'm 99% sure it's going to be Eldoret Blue with white roof. But there may be a last minute change of heart or financial crunch dictating things.
I'm drawn to that exact combo as well - although, seeing it and also magic mushroom in person, I haven't decided (downside is no contrasting roof in MM). I also want the red frame (yeah, I know, I know). The blue is the only "stand-out" color without being too crazy. The gf doesn't like it, but it's because she always hated the M3 I wanted to get in a similar color ...

bmw-m3-yas-marina-bl-3_1600x0w-768086507.jpg

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm drawn to that exact combo as well - although, seeing it and also magic mushroom in person, I haven't decided (downside is no contrasting roof in MM). I also want the red frame (yeah, I know, I know). The blue is the only "stand-out" color without being too crazy. The gf doesn't like it, but it's because she always hated the M3 I wanted to get in a similar color ...

View attachment 7805682
You can get inky black on MM.

Local time
Reaction score
Well it looks like you might buy the Grenadier after all, reading that you have ordered a Rivian as a trade(y)...happy motoring ;)
I'm buying both. Rivian for wife, grenadier for me unless actual consumer reviews are tepid or pricing is exorbitant. Maybe don't worry about what i ultimately decide to buy though. I'm also familiar with recirculating ball steering since I've been driving a truck with it every day for the last 8 years.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Having watched a few of the Scottish onroad driving reviews, filmed while under way, it seems manageable. They have been driving, talking to the camera while avoiding traffic and keeping it between the lines without drama.
From my off road test drive, I think that it might just be the ratio that takes a little getting used to.
One time, I almost drove off the road taking a corner after spending a couple hours riding a go cart on a track. The short lock to lock distance had conditioned me so well that I forgot to turn farther when back in the car going home!

Local time
Reaction score
That other Rivian driver must not have put his in Rally mode on the way in and out, no comparison to the slow lumbering Grenadier. The Grenadier will make a great overlanding vehicle for me. But everywhere else, from fireroads to the freeway i’ll take the Rivian! Sorry to the Rav4 just coming in as we went out through a puddle at speed, splashing you ;).8F336A74-D7C4-4EB2-801D-7F19A8A80F9E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom