The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

USA Grenadier Experience (San Jose / Monterey Region California) 02-04 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
I just checked it out, it looks like the entrance is past the 4x4 upper ranch, on the right. I am showing that address as

9998 Cienega Rd​

But I am not positive! I guess we need to look for signs.
Hopefully the main "entrance" is 36.768699, -121.412203, turn off those lats/longs and just nearby the visitors center / "gate". Signs would help for sure, ha.

1677786037971.png

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
The what3words in the directions is correct. It’s actually the GP track entrance, but just past upper ranch (track is actually part of upper ranch). There are signs at the main entrance.

Had a good time - not many people today. Took my LR4 into upper ranch for a bit after the test drive. The Grenadier drives about as I expected, which is good. Power felt sufficient and didn’t notice the turbo at all. Wish it had a bigger footbox area - feels like my feet are pushed off to the left a little, which will take a little getting used to. Cargo area is definitely smaller than my LR4, but I like the doors instead of the hatch. It’ll be a tough decision for me once prices get posted and orders available. I still really like my LR4, but if I didn’t have it, I’d definitely be picking this up. Might do so anyway.

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The what3words in the directions is correct. It’s actually the GP track entrance, but just past upper ranch (track is actually part of upper ranch). There are signs at the main entrance.

Had a good time - not many people today. Took my LR4 into upper ranch for a bit after the test drive. The Grenadier drives about as I expected, which is good. Power felt sufficient and didn’t notice the turbo at all. Wish it had a bigger footbox area - feels like my feet are pushed off to the left a little, which will take a little getting used to. Cargo area is definitely smaller than my LR4, but I like the doors instead of the hatch. It’ll be a tough decision for me once prices get posted and orders available. I still really like my LR4, but if I didn’t have it, I’d definitely be picking this up. Might do so anyway.
Happy to see you transplanted over here from the land Rover forum, brother!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed they’re including what3words: ///undisputed.spouse.tempt in the directions.

I’ve never used the app before, but perhaps it’s the exact coordinates for the event? Those 3 words are quite an interesting choice.
What 3 words l awesome it gives you the precise location without typing in the exact GPS location. try it out for your house. cool thing about what3words is if you find a location anywhere on the map, it will have been coded with What3words. Most navigation systems will generate a route the best it can to the location.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
What 3 words is the proprietary way to encrypt something as simple as GPS coordinates to force people to use their services.

At 40.1234°, 9.1234° I know immediately that the place is about 1100 km south of me.
Larger than my latitude is north, smaller is south.
Larger than my longitude is east, smaller is west.

But what does "///kehlkopf.öffentliches.stiefel" tell me?

The worst part is that the "exact location without entering exact GPS location" is different in every language*). Hello? 🥳

How stupid is that?

*) And it is not translated for other languages, but assigned by their undisclosed algorithm.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What 3 words is the proprietary way to encrypt something as simple as GPS coordinates to force people to use their services.

At 40.1234°, 9.1234° I know immediately that the place is about 1100 km south of me.
Larger than my latitude is north, smaller is south.
Larger than my longitude is east, smaller is west.

But what does "///kehlkopf.öffentliches.stiefel" tell me?

The worst part is that the "exact location without entering exact GPS location" is different in every language*). Hello? 🥳

How stupid is that?

*) And it is not translated for other languages, but assigned by their undisclosed algorithm.
Now that is stupid, I thought the words were universal just translated for language. To me, the benefit of what3words shows up in ease of communication with an individual who does not have a background using GPS coordinates or if you are in an emergency. For example, you break a leg and call in for help. All you need to say is "Blue, Horseshoe, Grass". The emergency services know where you are with in 1m.

PilotMike

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully the main "entrance" is 36.768699, -121.412203, turn off those lats/longs and just nearby the visitors center / "gate". Signs would help for sure, ha.

Same - are you looking to buy one of these?
I am worried about ADM at dealers. I hope the initial deposit counts for something.

PilotMike

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

How long was the test drive?

Local time
Reaction score
Test drive was short. Like 20 min. All off road - no on road test, which was a little disappointing. Also, the prototype is like a p2, while production is like p5 version.

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, just got back and thought I'd post some items that I wasn't aware of. Some items are of note to other posts and may add to those threads later. These items below just mainly demonstrate info is still loosey-goosey.

1) I asked if brake control wiring was provided for after-market controllers and the first rep states the IG had a controller built in. I was excited to hear that, but after the drive, Tim, the technical rep said that was not the case. Bottom line, still TBD.
2) The same initial rep told me that the factory had 7 spring configs based on what options are ordered to accommodate those loading scenarios. The options mentioned include towing, roof rack, and the integrated winch. So maybe as well as other options and/or similar permutations. Tim later essentially confirmed that options did sometimes dictate the suspension setup.
3) I asked the initial rep about the fender plates also include additional reinforcement and he claimed no, but the plates are needed for weight support due to the aluminum underneath. Well, at that point I was starting to doubt what I was being told by that first rep since the body is galv steel, etc.
4) I asked the initial rep if there are coming changes either for the 2024 MY or US spec and he said no. I'll just have to wait and see is all I could gather ...

The drive was great and exceeded my expectations and while short, it was a blast. The Ineos (Staff) said this was the best course so far for them to date. Had a good combination of obstacles that demo'd approach / departure / break over, cross articulation, mud, rock, light water, etc. Always in low gear only, never changed it up otherwise. No handling objections nor anomalies. I think I may have had a single minor under body strike towards the rear (maybe the skidded fuel tank).

They have two travelling groups for these events and states they have only 15 based US employees so far.

Those are my initial thoughts for now.

PXL_20230304_205339200.jpg

PXL_20230304_204704020.jpgPXL_20230304_204741051.jpgPXL_20230304_204758557.jpgPXL_20230304_204818592.jpgPXL_20230304_205005692.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230304_205116095.jpgPXL_20230304_205017853.jpgPXL_20230304_204917520.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230304_204931961.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi, just got back and thought I'd post some items that I wasn't aware of. Some items are of note to other posts and may add to those threads later. These items below just mainly demonstrate info is still loosey-goosey.

1) I asked if brake control wiring was provided for after-market controllers and the first rep states the IG had a controller built in. I was excited to hear that, but after the drive, Tim, the technical rep said that was not the case. Bottom line, still TBD.
2) The same initial rep told me that the factory had 7 spring configs based on what options are ordered to accommodate those loading scenarios. The options mentioned include towing, roof rack, and the integrated winch. So maybe as well as other options and/or similar permutations. Tim later essentially confirmed that options did sometimes dictate the suspension setup.
3) I asked the initial rep about the fender plates also include additional reinforcement and he claimed no, but the plates are needed for weight support due to the aluminum underneath. Well, at that point I was starting to doubt what I was being told by that first rep since the body is galv steel, etc.
4) I asked the initial rep if there are coming changes either for the 2024 MY or US spec and he said no. I'll just have to wait and see is all I could gather ...

The drive was great and exceeded my expectations and while short, it was a blast. The Ineos (Staff) said this was the best course so far for them to date. Had a good combination of obstacles that demo'd approach / departure / break over, cross articulation, mud, rock, light water, etc. Always in low gear only, never changed it up otherwise. No handling objections nor anomalies. I think I may have had a single minor under body strike towards the rear (maybe the skidded fuel tank).

They have two travelling groups for these events and states they have only 15 based US employees so far.

Those are my initial thoughts for now.

View attachment 7805119

View attachment 7805100View attachment 7805101View attachment 7805102View attachment 7805103View attachment 7805106View attachment 7805107View attachment 7805108View attachment 7805104View attachment 7805105
In Australia at some of the drives they had just hired staff for the day/3 days and they weren't all Ineos people.
This is why there was sometimes conflicting answers.
Not sure if it is the same in US

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
This event thread has run its course.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back