The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gear Shifter Aftermarket - Options?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Sorry, no: It is not.
In my VW Passat Alltrack BiTdi with 7 speed DSG (e.g.) they got it just right ;-)
I personally always want to push forward to shift down because I am more used to only selecting manual when I want to drive more dynamically or sporty
Inertia when shifting down is generally forward as you drop gears when braking typically
I found a document that gives reason for both cases.

1678730925081.png1678731161936.png

Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
The Toyota version definitely looks a little better to my eyes. But reliability is the biggest concern. Even though the existing shifter isn't ideal, I assume it's going to be more reliable than a Frankensteined Toyota part or any aftermarket option.

Even if it was possible to design and build a custom shifter, I doubt I would ever trust it.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
porsche 991.1 go forwards up and backwards down which makes sense to me since "forward" means forward.
since porsche 991.2 it's the other way around

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I personally always want to push forward to shift down because I am more used to only selecting manual when I want to drive more dynamically or sporty
Inertia when shifting down is generally forward as you drop gears when braking typically

View attachment 7806027View attachment 7806028
Ok, one certainly valid way to look at it.

It's some years ago now, but I'm coming from heavy truck driving (I learnt most people here use the word "truck" when referring to their 4x4s. In our region, "trucks" are sth else...) where it is vital to have arrived at an appropriate speed + gear _before_ going downhill.

In everyday driving, when approaching a turn with a manual one would shift down to decelerate and to be in the right gear when leaving the turn. That's what an auto transmission every time and always fails at, since it naturally does not know about the turn your're approaching. So, even when driving an auto, frequent to regular manual shifting is useful.

But, I do see the authors point.

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7806027View attachment 7806028
Forward for downshift and backward for upshift makes sense for those of us who ride motorcycles.

Still, there should be a manual trans for this vehicle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Forward for downshift and backward for upshift makes sense for those of us who ride motorcycles.

Still, there should be a manual trans for this vehicle.
There isn't enough room in the RHD footwell for a clutch pedal.

And we're off again!!!!

Last edited:

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
There was a transition in the whole pull back to shift up back in the mid to late 2000s. This coincided with dual clutch transmission proliferation. Similarly the change from column mounted paddle shifters to wheel mounted. Interesting how things have evolved. Not necessarily the optimal thing but seems to be the accepted convention. Some Italian brands refuse to change

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
When violently shifting on the manumatics its easier not to accidentally upshift or downshift with that set up (forward to downshift and back to upshift).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The fact that Ineos have changed the gearbox programing so it holds gears makes it much better for this application.
the 3 litre diesel provides good engine braking and i found 2nd low range was excellent going down a steep, damp dirt slope at Mt Tamborine test drive

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I still want my wife to look good even though she only lets me touch her once in a while.
She just wants you to keep up your own maintenance schedule, and perhaps install some performance parts.
2 inch lift , smaller footwell perhaps?

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
So, looking at the BMW-ZF gear shifter, and aside from the RHD footrest: - is the Shifter something we can actually change. In the PT version, this thing looks about as out of place as t*ts on a bull. It works but doesn't suit the vehicle aesthetics at all, and I'm the type to spend money on this kind of change if possible. Anyone seen alternatives, and is it feasible for this unit? I have a valid reason: when using this thing, it felt clunky, felts odd in the hand as the angles don't work properly, buttons are not ergonomic in my view (something the oldies didn't pick up on?). We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

View attachment 7805972
Wrap it in camo tape. Be grand 👍

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not to be gauche, but the wrangler has the ZF transmission and it’s auto layout is the more familiar PDNR+/-.

Wife was out of town and I had to drive her X5 with that style ‘controller‘…. Don’t like it, guess I could get used to it.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To be honest, what SHOULD shifter look like? I’ve looked for pics of vintage defenders and new ones. A manual looking one doesn’t make sense, and the new Land Rover one is about as goofy as the BMW.

What should the shifter look like? How should it function?

By some of the mechanic pics, the shifter is just a ‘black box’ that should be pretty swappable. Frankly, like I said before , the Jeep JK selector isn’t bad. “Manual’ lock button on side to move, push to the side past D for Gears.

I’m just not sure how easy it is to do a ‘rocking’ DNR, RND, DNR would work with the BMW Shifter?

Back
Top Bottom