The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Brisbane Drive Day

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I am curious how long it will take untill the first do it yourself parking heater will be discussed here.

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Move the tyre carrier to centre of the door more you'd fit a 35"
But then you will not be able to open the small door, and if you can't open the small door, you can't open the big door = no rear access. Here is a photo of clearance between the stock tire (31.6"), mounted in stock location, and the small door. Clearance is about one inch.

Grenadier_38_Spare_Tire.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if/when someone will create an adapter to relocate the factory mounting lugs to the right to provide a bigger gap between tire and the small door.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if/when someone will create an adapter to relocate the factory mounting lugs to the right to provide a bigger gap between tire and the small door. Something like this, except shirt to the right as opposed to up.
productimg

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
But then you will not be able to open the small door, and if you can't open the small door, you can't open the big door = no rear access. Here is a photo of clearance between the stock tire (31.6"), mounted in stock location, and the small door. Clearance is about one inch.

View attachment 7802832
33” should work from looking at your picture. Thanks

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
What about an old school series Land Rover bonnet mounted spare?

That would bork the pedestrian crash safety.

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
I think with the steel bumpers if the IG proves popular that it won’t be too long till there is some sort of dual wheel carrier available.

View attachment 7802877
For sure. Its just an expensive and heavy solution to a problem that was avoidable had the design team anticipated that people might want to go up in tire size to a 35-inch tire. But what makes it harder to understand, is that Sir Jim himself drove a Grenadier around Iceland on 35s, and we also have footage of a Grenadier in South Africa on 35s. So it is clearly on their mind, but they designed a rear door that does not lend itself to carrying a 35-inch spare.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For sure. Its just an expensive and heavy solution to a problem that was avoidable had the design team anticipated that people might want to go up in tire size to a 35-inch tire. But what makes it harder to understand, is that Sir Jim himself drove a Grenadier around Iceland on 35s, and we also have footage of a Grenadier in South Africa on 35s. So it is clearly on their mind, but they designed a rear door that does not lend itself to carrying a 35-inch spare.

It's safe to say there have been some odd decisions made in the design and manufacturing of this vehicle. Brilliant functionality on one hand vs clumsy and/or lacking implementation on the other... most baffling.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would think they have assumed anyone fitting 35s would be willing to invest in other modifications as well. The aftermarket providers will have heaps of solutions for this, from offset rear door brackets (which is not that hard to engineer if you flip the spare around the traditional way) to rear bumper replacements with swing out arms.
I see the design as being a competent base from which to start, from there it’s up to your imagination, engineering skills and size of your bank balance.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
It's safe to say there have been some odd decisions made in the design and manufacturing of this vehicle. Brilliant functionality on one hand vs clumsy and/or lacking implementation on the other... most baffling.
It’s their first car! I think we all know bigger manufacturers who haven’t been able to sort out thing on the xth edition of a car (not illuminated climate control on the VW Golf 8)
So we should not be to picky about it

Back
Top Bottom