The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gear Shifter Aftermarket - Options?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Mentally I’m trying to make the M8 Competition gear shifter to work. I think the Supra one looks great as well.

With the perceived compromises on the interior design, for me it comes down to one thing. Do I like it enough to be parting with a lot of cash to buy one? After all it’s the place that I will be looking at and interacting with the most.

Right now this is a yes even though I think they missed the beat with the gear change.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
So, looking at the BMW-ZF gear shifter, and aside from the RHD footrest: - is the Shifter something we can actually change. In the PT version, this thing looks about as out of place as t*ts on a bull. It works but doesn't suit the vehicle aesthetics at all, and I'm the type to spend money on this kind of change if possible. Anyone seen alternatives, and is it feasible for this unit? I have a valid reason: when using this thing, it felt clunky, felts odd in the hand as the angles don't work properly, buttons are not ergonomic in my view (something the oldies didn't pick up on?). We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

View attachment 7805972
We covered this in detail about a year ago from memory
Only problem was most of the changes added more bling
For me there is about 50 things I want to spend my money on for the vehicle before I spend any on changing the gearshift handle. It will probably be forgotten after a day

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
Mentally I’m trying to make the M8 Competition gear shifter to work. I think the Supra one looks great as well.

With the perceived compromises on the interior design, for me it comes down to one thing. Do I like it enough to be parting with a lot of cash to buy one? After all it’s the place that I will be looking at and interacting with the most.

Right now this is a yes even though I think they missed the beat with the gear change.
Actually I like the older jaguar land rover circular knob that sinks out of the way when the ignition is turned off or when the engine is stopped. I'll miss it.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Actually I like the older jaguar land rover circular knob that sinks out of the way when the ignition is turned off or when the engine is stopped. I'll miss it.
I HATED that stupid thing. Always seemed to take ages to reveal itself when your in a hurry, and never liked going from D to R in a hurry when doing a 3 point turn.

I actually liked the feel of the BMW shifter in the INEOS, and I hadn't used one before. The design may be slightly out of place, but it really wont bother me in the slightest. If anything, it will remind me of the silky smooth BMW I6 that's under the bonnet

The JL wrangler uses the same 8 speed and has a chunky shifter

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
I might be of the minority here, but honestly, I really couldn't care less what the shifter looks like, as long as I get the keys in-hand (sometime in the next 1-3 years for us suckers in NA 😂) and it does what it's supposed to. My line of sight will consist (mostly) of looking out the windshield and over the hood at all the cool places the grennie will take me. I'm looking forward to the vehicle, as is!

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Discussed a few times at this point. I've posted the Supra part number in the past.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the Morgan Plus 4 has the option for the same ZF box and does have the standard shifter showing on the Morgan website.

However, they've just brought out a one off/limited edition and it features this:
blobid3.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
that looks very nice - takes a fair bit more room up however.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
looks like they've nicked some yacht flooring and screwed it on the side panel

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
Like Spjnr I have never used one of these gear sticks/levers. To me it just screams BMW but also that to me doesn’t say it’s a bad thing.

Is this why people don’t like it because it looks a bit parts bin, with the level being so clearly linked with a BMW interior or is it that the level itself is perceived as ugly ?

I wonder if IA had glued some of the saddle leather to it, then people would temper their dislike of it and say it fitted in better ?

It would not be high on my list of things to spend money on for certain. With everything that people don’t like on this forum, is there anything that we can universally like ? Not having a go at my one, but it just shows how we all perceive things differently.

Nobody has brought this up I don’t think, but do we all like the back doors ? Someone commented to me recently, “wtf is going on with that silly little door on the IG” 😂

For the record I like them.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
In the Q&A from NA just they other day, IA flat out said the shifter is staying as is and there's no desire or plan to change.

That said, I'm not a fan of the shifter only in the sense that it seems waaay out of place. I'm sure it's well designed and everything, but it's just a futuristic, digital sore thumb in an otherwise old school, analog environment.
I hope at least the most annoying function can be changed in software: Shifting down by pushing forward and vice versa? That's weird....

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Also in the mix is the IP rating of the gear lever, the LR/Jag rotary dial I actually like, but it's not tomato soup proof (tested in the field)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I hope at least the most annoying function can be changed in software: Shifting down by pushing forward and vice versa? That's weird....
Totally, but you get used to it, it's like driving a dog box, strange at first but after a while muscle memory kicks in.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Totally, but you get used to it, it's like driving a dog box, strange at first but after a while muscle memory kicks in.
I really do hope so... Since my Passat Alltrack is just the other way round and feels so much more logical.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Pushing forward to go down in gears and pulling backwards to go up is normal in a sequential box.
Sorry, no: It is not.
In my VW Passat Alltrack BiTdi with 7 speed DSG (e.g.) they got it just right ;-)

Back
Top Bottom