The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gear Shifter Aftermarket - Options?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Attachments

• Car-modification-LHD-Automatic-LED-Shift-Knob-Gear-Shifter-Lever-for-BMW-E46-E60-E61-E63.jpg
    Car-modification-LHD-Automatic-LED-Shift-Knob-Gear-Shifter-Lever-for-BMW-E46-E60-E61-E63.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: Max

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
subjective subject but anyone driving a bmw 5 series will have had years of hands on experience of the shifter. I use this shifter everyday and there’s absolutely nothing about it worth changing. one thing that I can say is that you get used to the feel of the selection through the car as the zf changes cogs from neutral in to gear. Manoeuvring is no problem at low to no speed and the shifter is very tactile. Reserve your criticism until you’ve had a few 1000 miles driving it. If we get any deliveries that is.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
subjective subject but anyone driving a bmw 5 series will have had years of hands on experience of the shifter. I use this shifter everyday and there’s absolutely nothing about it worth changing. one thing that I can say is that you get used to the feel of the selection through the car as the zf changes cogs from neutral in to gear. Manoeuvring is no problem at low to no speed and the shifter is very tactile. Reserve your criticism until you’ve had a few 1000 miles driving it. If we get any deliveries that is.
I personally have no issue with it, I look forward to using this tactile piece of equipment

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Pretty sure as long as you don’t want to change the positioning etc, it would be fairly simple to just design a new plastic head and buttons to replace the head on it.

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I personally have no issue with it, I look forward to using this tactile piece of equipment
Agree…what I find interesting is the way they have used the black billiard ball for the transfer case lever, a bit of tongue in cheek that brings back memories and analogue mechanics…plus if you have to quickly crab either knob without looking you will know which one you have in you hand.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the Q&A from NA just they other day, IA flat out said the shifter is staying as is and there's no desire or plan to change.

That said, I'm not a fan of the shifter only in the sense that it seems waaay out of place. I'm sure it's well designed and everything, but it's just a futuristic, digital sore thumb in an otherwise old school, analog environment.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

View attachment 7805972
Set against what we now have learnt is a faux industrial machinery interior (fake screws/bolts), perhaps the shifter is looking just a bit more honest and straightforward?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, it does look out of place, but on the flipside it will be a lot easier to replace than a bespoke version as it’s a standard BMW part.

Cheers
Steve
So cheaper to get Bespoke than genuine part LOL!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Set against what we now have learnt is a faux industrial machinery interior (fake screws/bolts), perhaps the shifter is looking just a bit more honest and straightforward?
Are there confirmed fake bolts and screws inside the GREN?? If there was, that's absurd.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Driven X5 for easily 5000kms same (or at least very similar) shifter. Looks like a fake shifter with looks not suitable for my Gren! I want AM please!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One positive to the shiter, it takes up very little room, as there is not a long path from P to L1. When I got my GMC I thought that I would HATE the column shifter, but I was very appreciative of the space it freed up on the console.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I'll put it out there but the new LR pistol grip is made for the ZF transmission. it even has a push button for park. 1678715975131.png

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
That looks similar to the shifter in the Toyota supra which 'I think' uses the same BMW engine and ZF transmission (or close variations). This would look better in the grenadier than the modern looking current version.

60b123a1bee0fc0019d5a492 copy.png

Back
Top Bottom