The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gear Shifter Aftermarket - Options?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
So, looking at the BMW-ZF gear shifter, and aside from the RHD footrest: - is the Shifter something we can actually change. In the PT version, this thing looks about as out of place as t*ts on a bull. It works but doesn't suit the vehicle aesthetics at all, and I'm the type to spend money on this kind of change if possible. Anyone seen alternatives, and is it feasible for this unit? I have a valid reason: when using this thing, it felt clunky, felts odd in the hand as the angles don't work properly, buttons are not ergonomic in my view (something the oldies didn't pick up on?). We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

1678696794041.png

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
I haven’t had a chance to sit in/drive a grenadier, but this shifter has stood out in such a strange way. So much money invested in this release (1.5 billion GBP) and yet they couldn’t design a bespoke gear shift mechanism? I’m sure it’s perfectly functional and we will adjust to it, but it could definitely be so much better. I have no skill or experience in industrial design or manufacturing. Would it be a cost prohibitive thing to do?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
I suspect if it was that easy they would have designed a bespoke one
I bet it won't be rocket science, technically speaking.

End of last year, we've done some EV component testing at the ZF facility where these shifter units are developed. Talking with the guys there about that odd shifter in the Gren, one of the guys said that a new development of the shifter assembly would mean development cost of 20-50 million EUR (!). I found that hard to believe...

I don't know if some adaptation would be sufficient instead of a new design from scratch (just new plastics and switch positions, no software changes), but even if we end up with 5 million, this would obviously impact the cost calculation.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
So, looking at the BMW-ZF gear shifter, and aside from the RHD footrest: - is the Shifter something we can actually change. In the PT version, this thing looks about as out of place as t*ts on a bull. It works but doesn't suit the vehicle aesthetics at all, and I'm the type to spend money on this kind of change if possible. Anyone seen alternatives, and is it feasible for this unit? I have a valid reason: when using this thing, it felt clunky, felts odd in the hand as the angles don't work properly, buttons are not ergonomic in my view (something the oldies didn't pick up on?). We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

View attachment 7805972
You pretty much only have to touch it once in a while. As a senior, I can state that it's perfectly ergonomic enough.
Chuck a small hessian bag over it if it offends.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I bet it won't be rocket science, technically speaking.

End of last year, we've done some EV component testing at the ZF facility where these shifter units are developed. Talking with the guys there about that odd shifter in the Gren, one of the guys said that a new development of the shifter assembly would mean development cost of 20-50 million EUR (!). I found that hard to believe...

2 years until rollout, 50 developers (design, electronics, software, mechanics, testing), each 100€/h (at the company side) = 18 Mio € (with annual hours assumed to be1800 hrs/person). :oops:

Plus building prototypes and tools for production, documentation, approvals, quality control ...

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
2 years until rollout, 50 developers (design, electronics, software, mechanics, testing), each 100€/h (at the company side) = 18 Mio € (with annual hours assumed to be1800 hrs/person). :oops:

Plus building prototypes and tools for production, documentation, approvals, quality control ...
So maybe the 2 years (planned, which makes 3 realistically...) is the other main reason they haven't made sth new.

Imagine the rant on ZF here in the forum when the main obstacle that prevents deliveries would be that shifter stick... I really don't like it at all, it's the one thing in the Gren that really annoys me, but 1 year more because of that thing certainly would not be right.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@TD5-90 I do not know whether it would actually be two years. But my experience is in that range. It may be more or less (until rollout).

It's just an example of how fast the (indeed) incredible number of 20 millions can be reached or exceeded.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
What other forms of lever do ZF use with this box? I believe the same unit is used by several vehicle manufactures.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
What other forms of lever do ZF use with this box? I believe the same unit is used by several vehicle manufactures.
Morgan use the same shifter in both the +4 and the +6. I believe that Toyota also use it in the Supra.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Yes, it does look out of place, but on the flipside it will be a lot easier to replace than a bespoke version as it’s a standard BMW part.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom