The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gear Shifter Aftermarket - Options?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Is it different for the right hand drives? When I test drove it, you have to press the button with your thumb, but that's on a left hand drive. It would be awkward doing that with your left hand.
It’s my understanding that they’re are two different shifters for LHD and RHD trucks.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
I was waiting at the lights contemplating the BMW shifter everyone seems to hate.
It occurred to me it is perfectly shaped for the human hand, thus an ergonomic delight.
It then occurred to me that if there was some aftermarket jobbie , logic would dicatate I would have to reimagine my hand/finger shape. Maybe some plastic surgery?
The BMW shifter is easy to use in the heat of battle . And ergonomic.
What's to hate?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
I was waiting at the lights contemplating the BMW shifter everyone seems to hate.
It occurred to me it is perfectly shaped for the human hand, thus an ergonomic delight.
It then occurred to me that if there was some aftermarket jobbie , logic would dicatate I would have to reimagine my hand/finger shape. Maybe some plastic surgery?
The BMW shifter is easy to use in the heat of battle . And ergonomic.
What's to hate?
It fits quite well. Sadly the manual mode is sided away from our RHD versions making Manual mode crap to use! But it is comfy.

Looks out if place... but not as it if place as the footrest intrusion - but then it kinda fits the look given the cheap glossy plastic and fake screw bolts on ask the cockpit areas that they decided to use to fake up the "modern".

I've had a bothersome hot week Taz!!!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, looking at the BMW-ZF gear shifter, and aside from the RHD footrest: - is the Shifter something we can actually change. In the PT version, this thing looks about as out of place as t*ts on a bull. It works but doesn't suit the vehicle aesthetics at all, and I'm the type to spend money on this kind of change if possible. Anyone seen alternatives, and is it feasible for this unit? I have a valid reason: when using this thing, it felt clunky, felts odd in the hand as the angles don't work properly, buttons are not ergonomic in my view (something the oldies didn't pick up on?). We have this excellent industrial machinery interior - and a yuppy shifter!

View attachment 7805972

Just WHY? This Form is nuts! :)

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whenever I drive my wife’s X5, I almost take out the garage door. I have zero understanding why the 50yr plus version of move a stick forward and back with a button on the side doesn’t work here. IG seems to be very proud of using a BMW engine, and maybe something about that relationship made them use that shifter. I understand it is probably cheaper to use the BMW, but it is… odd.

Ergonomic? It’s shaped like some ‘personal intimate device’.

All those lengths to go with unique interior styling- including the overhead aircraft switches which preclude any kind of standard roof opening options- and you stay with that shifter. It can’t be that difficult or expensive. The ZF transmission is used in a wide variety of vehicles and they all have bespoke shifters.

I’m working up a new design for my 3d printer. I want to wait to see if I’m going to put a NOx or chip the turbo so that I can add an ‘afterburner’ function to my replacement…

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Whenever I drive my wife’s X5, I almost take out the garage door. I have zero understanding why the 50yr plus version of move a stick forward and back with a button on the side doesn’t work here. IG seems to be very proud of using a BMW engine, and maybe something about that relationship made them use that shifter. I understand it is probably cheaper to use the BMW, but it is… odd.

Ergonomic? It’s shaped like some ‘personal intimate device’.

All those lengths to go with unique interior styling- including the overhead aircraft switches which preclude any kind of standard roof opening options- and you stay with that shifter. It can’t be that difficult or expensive. The ZF transmission is used in a wide variety of vehicles and they all have bespoke shifters.

I’m working up a new design for my 3d printer. I want to wait to see if I’m going to put a NOx or chip the turbo so that I can add an ‘afterburner’ function to my replacement…
No they don't. The Morgan +4 and +6 and the Toyota Supra use the same shifter. You are in the USA, so your local laws will be different, but to change it for the UK and EU will get you into a mess of liability laws as the gearbox, connections and shifter are all considered as one part for compliance and safety testing. Change one thing and you have to retest the entire vehicle.

In Germany, they can insist that you alter your vehicle back to full TUV compliance or your vehicle can be seized and not released until returned to an approved state.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No they don't. The Morgan +4 and +6 and the Toyota Supra use the same shifter. You are in the USA, so your local laws will be different, but to change it for the UK and EU will get you into a mess of liability laws as the gearbox, connections and shifter are all considered as one part for compliance and safety testing. Change one thing and you have to retest the entire vehicle.

In Germany, they can insist that you alter your vehicle back to full TUV compliance or your vehicle can be seized and not released until returned to an approved state.
Agree - most of the topics on this Forum, these days are none topics. Discussing problems that don't exist or making problems after modifying.

The worst offender was @DCPU who took the car apart for no apparent reason to discover faults that don't exist.

My recommendation is just drive the vehicle.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Discussing problems that don't exist or making problems … My recommendation is just drive the vehicle.

Wow. I actually really enjoy listening to DIY/mod enthusiasts. The best of these creative ideas trickle down to those of us who aren’t trail blazers but may want to improve our vehicles or just be different for the sake of personalizing. 👍🏻

IMO it’s important to put practicality (subjective) and legality in a separate box of concern, because we’ve surely all leaned by now that we are a global community and each jurisdiction views vehicle mods differently.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmm, the same shifter in the X3 just works. After a small period of time getting used to it, it’s intuitive, easy to operate and does the job. Can’t see why this one won’t.

Hey, I loved the gated shifter in the 100 Series landcruiser, but I can’t see any reason to want to change the IG one.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A New Zealand colleague introduced me to the term "double bagger"
I asked what that was.
She said "When you're both so ugly you both need to put a bag over your heads"
Or if one is so ugly that you double bag in case the first one breaks, that's how I learned it.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmm, the same shifter in the X3 just works. After a small period of time getting used to it, it’s intuitive, easy to operate and does the job. Can’t see why this one won’t.

Hey, I loved the gated shifter in the 100 Series landcruiser, but I can’t see any reason to want to change the IG one.
It's fine except manual mode is on the wrong side of the shifter and is crap to use in that mode if you are being serious.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's fine except manual mode is on the wrong side of the shifter and is crap to use in that mode if you are being serious.
I've been pretty serious thus far , as serious as when I've used tiptronic 911s on track 😁
Though mostly on public roads/hills!
Shifter is quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom