The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Contrast Ladder Frame (?)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
or saddle brackets on the tie down bars, front overhang dependent...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
Isn't it possible to mount the cross members of a roof rack individually? In that case it was easy to leave a gap for an open safari window.

froggy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't it possible to mount the cross members of a roof rack individually? In that case it was easy to leave a gap for an open safari window.
Yes that’s what I am doing to fit a roof tent behind safari windows. But with a full length roof rack windows won’t open.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's what been done here?
1666014677168.jpeg

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Yes that’s what I am doing to fit a roof tent behind safari windows. But with a full length roof rack windows won’t open.
It depends on the carrier and its distance to the roof. With my Defender, I was able to open the window despite my carrier.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
This is, of course, a silly way to align the cross members. There are few ways to mount them individually. And a much harder cargo to secure against brake acceleration. There is no worse way to do that.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this, where you can just leave one of them out and it works:

frontrunnerroofrack.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is, of course, a silly way to align the cross members. There are few ways to mount them individually. And a much harder cargo to secure against brake acceleration. There is no worse way to do that.

Are you referring to the OEM rack?

The planks are slotted, so there's infinite adjustment to get hard stops/tethers in place.

FB_IMG_1663653469434.jpg
Screenshot_20221016_132035_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_20220519_224947.jpg

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
Gobi has a solid solution to this for the JK racks. They do a full length roof rack but the front of the rack has an easy-to-remove section that allows you to use the “Freedom Panels” if you wish when you don’t need the extra square footage of storage up top.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's never really been apparent to me, but when reading, the general consensus seems to be that planks running the length of the vehicle generate less wind noise/whistling than those running across the vehicle.

My proposed solution would be to have one of those sliding racks:

32e7c60c66fb2a6f038d3b84ca2457e3.jpg
upload_2019-4-5_13-10-52.png
pdint_2_image_21896.15720997897981.jpg
for when you want to take the glass out, and limit the hinge movement when you don't.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I mean a rack like the one shown above, which in this case is from Frontrunner.

The stoppers and slots are the least they need to provide. But if you want to secure something with a rope, or a bigger thing that doesn't have a clamping socket, then you need to use lashing eyes. They'll be happy to sell you those, of course. But for cross planks, I've always been able to use commercial lashing straps to secure the load.

And as it now turns out, you can leave a gap with crosswise planks, as would be necessary for the Safaries if you still want a full size rack - which I would.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Yes that was my thoughts but can't put an awning on them.
3 bars might do the job

What’s the concern there Dave? should be able to mount an awning on two bars with no problem… three better if you’re doing technical trails, sure.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ive optioned the roof bars as don't want a full rack as have the safaris. Ive also optioned the light bar so I ideally need a third roof bar as the first one will be mostly redundant.

Have asked Jardines to put me down for an additional roof bar, plus new set of steel wheels etc. Goodness knows when this will be available.

I'll also look out for 3/4 rack and possibly fixing light bar in another fashion to free up the original roof bar. Quite exciting when the time comes to find solutions!

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Now that most have locked in their configuration interested in who decided to go with a contrasting colour for their ladder frame. I kept an eye on the build configs that many early config posters outlined, I can’t recall seeing any.

I went the Donney Grey and every now and then I think about a contrast ladder frame in Red, didn’t select it, but with a build slot currently in Jan 2023 I have time to change my mind - has no functional usage, but can‘t help thinking it might looks the goods, splash of bling 🙂

OG.
Iv gone for a red contrast ladder frame on a Scottish white grenadier and black roof. The dealer here did warn me that this would delay my delivery by an extra couple months but since the wait is around 10 months already I didn’t see the reason why not wait extra couple months.. the dealer did say that all profits from the contrasting roof and ladder go to NPOs .. if I’m not mistaken one is related to children and the other one is rhinos related

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Iv gone for a red contrast ladder frame on a Scottish white grenadier and black roof. The dealer here did warn me that this would delay my delivery by an extra couple months but since the wait is around 10 months already I didn’t see the reason why not wait extra couple months.. the dealer did say that all profits from the contrasting roof and ladder go to NPOs .. if I’m not mistaken one is related to children and the other one is rhinos related
Please don’t be offended by this question, but are you aware that “Contrast Ladder Frame” refers to the chassis, not the rear door ladder?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please don’t be offended by this question, but are you aware that “Contrast Ladder Frame” refers to the chassis, not the rear door ladder?
If he did this would of course be a very charitable approach. The price for contrast ladder (frame) 1005€ in Germany just for some paint on a ladder wouldn’t be a bargain.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
100% aware as I designed the car on the website just like you did. I must say though when I first noticed the option, the door ladder crossed my mind.. No offense taken.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
100% aware as I designed the car on the website just like you did. I must say though when I first noticed the option, the door ladder crossed my mind.. No offense taken.
That’s good. I was just checking because I noticed you were new to the forum, and others have been confused in the past. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom