The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Thank you, Sir Jim

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Thank you, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, for having some passion and acting on it. Instead of using your resources to simply make yourself more money, you have created a real-life physical thing. Instead of simply investing your billions to make yourself richer you've made a machine that has unique functional value, and will soon be accessible the world over.

You could have done something financially safe, but instead you did something risky but real. Something that only a limited number of people will appreciate. Only a small minority on this earth share your passion for vehicle-based adventure. Knowing this you still chose to dive deep into a niche market that you love, and I bet you knew that the odds of recovering the investment were not good.

In the end you might just beat those odds because you stayed true to your vision. You stayed the course in spite of some inherently poor economics. Importantly, you did not compromise the core mission by trying to make this car all things to all people. You did not dilute your creation by expanding the appeal to the masses, and gaining the economies of scale from higher production volume. From day one there was a strong chance you'd never make back the investment and I think you probably weren't too worried about that. You created something that you wanted to create. In spite of near constant criticism from the world, you pushed forward and you made it. Now it exists and it is just what you said it would be.

And along the way you've kept the product in the center. You avoided the Elon Musk "my ego is part of the brand" BS that seems so popular now among your peers. You've kept the product performance and the product design at the center of every message.

I say ignore the complainers sitting at their laptops telling you that the Grenadier missed the mark, that it's more expensive than it "should be". They are ignorant of the overwhelming logistical complexities, the supply-chain nightmares during a pandemic, and the staggering automation investments your project faced. They will bitch about the price tag without considering quality materials, the laws of physics, the high unit costs due to relatively low production volumes, or the various regional regulations all working against a common design. All the reasons why JLR didn't have the balls to build this vehicle when they did the math on it; you looked at the same numbers and you built it anyway.

You have made something that will last. It will outlast you and me both. It's the only car on the market I can imagine buying and keeping for the rest of my life. It will be the last solely internal combustion powered vehicle I will probably ever buy. When I park it next to my 1965 Land Rover it is going to look amazing.

I'm thankful to benefit from your vision and clarity of purpose. It's an example of the power of focused leadership. There is no other way this would have come to pass. A corporate board would have killed it early on as a poor investment. A focus group would have asked for more seats and easier access. Design-by-committee would have watered it down into another Toyota Highlander. But you did not allow that to happen.

Last week I learned that my car has arrived here in the US. I've waited almost two years, and believe it or not I enjoyed the anticipation.

I haven't seen it yet but I will retrieve it tomorrow morning, and it will be a glorious day spent with a good friend on a few hundred mile road trip. Part of the route home will be national forest trails that will get it a bit muddy and might even require 4WD. That thought makes me thankful to be alive. With eyes wide open I am sharing in the uncertainty of a completely new vehicle design brought into the world. I'm choosing to join you in the risk of your creation, Sir Jim, in a tiny way.

The fact is I haven't ever seen a single Grenadier in the flesh. It will have its quirks, maybe even some annoying flaws, and I will enjoy the experience of getting to be one of the first owners to come to terms with them. I will gladly share a bit of inconvenience, a bit of frustration, maybe even some disappointment, to be a part of something genuinely new in the world. Not many people take that chance.

Most people would never choose that compromise. As a design engineer I live every day in the complex world of product development. I understand that every decision is a compromise. You have designed this car to be exactly what you wanted, knowing that most people will fall well outside of your target demographic. It will not sell to the risk averse but it will be something amazing for a select few. I'm just thankful that I get to be one of them.

It is the most expensive car I've ever bought by a factor of two. It's a tremendous luxury to buy something like this and take it off the road and use it for its intended purpose. But I plan to drive this vehicle until I die. It will only truly feel like mine when it is covered in dust and dirt and wears the scratches of a hundred adventures. That process begins tomorrow and I could not be more excited.

So thank you, Sir Jim.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
Thank you, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, for having some passion and acting on it. Instead of using your resources to simply make yourself more money, you have created a real-life physical thing. Instead of simply investing your billions to make yourself richer you've made a machine that has unique functional value, and will soon be accessible the world over.

You could have done something financially safe, but instead you did something risky but real. Something that only a limited number of people will appreciate. Only a small minority on this earth share your passion for vehicle-based adventure. Knowing this you still chose to dive deep into a niche market that you love, and I bet you knew that the odds of recovering the investment were not good.

In the end you might just beat those odds because you stayed true to your vision. You stayed the course in spite of some inherently poor economics. Importantly, you did not compromise the core mission by trying to make this car all things to all people. You did not dilute your creation by expanding the appeal to the masses, and gaining the economies of scale from higher production volume. From day one there was a strong chance you'd never make back the investment and I think you probably weren't too worried about that. You created something that you wanted to create. In spite of near constant criticism from the world, you pushed forward and you made it. Now it exists and it is just what you said it would be.

And along the way you've kept the product in the center. You avoided the Elon Musk "my ego is part of the brand" BS that seems so popular now among your peers. You've kept the product performance and the product design at the center of every message.

I say ignore the complainers sitting at their laptops telling you that the Grenadier missed the mark, that it's more expensive than it "should be". They are ignorant of the overwhelming logistical complexities, the supply-chain nightmares during a pandemic, and the staggering automation investments your project faced. They will bitch about the price tag without considering quality materials, the laws of physics, the high unit costs due to relatively low production volumes, or the various regional regulations all working against a common design. All the reasons why JLR didn't have the balls to build this vehicle when they did the math on it; you looked at the same numbers and you built it anyway.

You have made something that will last. It will outlast you and me both. It's the only car on the market I can imagine buying and keeping for the rest of my life. It will be the last solely internal combustion powered vehicle I will probably ever buy. When I park it next to my 1965 Land Rover it is going to look amazing.

I'm thankful to benefit from your vision and clarity of purpose. It's an example of the power of focused leadership. There is no other way this would have come to pass. A corporate board would have killed it early on as a poor investment. A focus group would have asked for more seats and easier access. Design-by-committee would have watered it down into another Toyota Highlander. But you did not allow that to happen.

Last week I learned that my car has arrived here in the US. I've waited almost two years, and believe it or not I enjoyed the anticipation.

I haven't seen it yet but I will retrieve it tomorrow morning, and it will be a glorious day spent with a good friend on a few hundred mile road trip. Part of the route home will be national forest trails that will get it a bit muddy and might even require 4WD. That thought makes me thankful to be alive. With eyes wide open I am sharing in the uncertainty of a completely new vehicle design brought into the world. I'm choosing to join you in the risk of your creation, Sir Jim, in a tiny way.

The fact is I haven't ever seen a single Grenadier in the flesh. It will have its quirks, maybe even some annoying flaws, and I will enjoy the experience of getting to be one of the first owners to come to terms with them. I will gladly share a bit of inconvenience, a bit of frustration, maybe even some disappointment, to be a part of something genuinely new in the world. Not many people take that chance.

Most people would never choose that compromise. As a design engineer I live every day in the complex world of product development. I understand that every decision is a compromise. You have designed this car to be exactly what you wanted, knowing that most people will fall well outside of your target demographic. It will not sell to the risk averse but it will be something amazing for a select few. I'm just thankful that I get to be one of them.

It is the most expensive car I've ever bought by a factor of two. It's a tremendous luxury to buy something like this and take it off the road and use it for its intended purpose. But I plan to drive this vehicle until I die. It will only truly feel like mine when it is covered in dust and dirt and wears the scratches of a hundred adventures. That process begins tomorrow and I could not be more excited.

So thank you, Sir Jim.
Hi BenTN,
I could not have said it better.
We are blessed Sir Jim wanted to continue his adventure and created the vehicle of his dreams and invited us along for a drive.
DaBull

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score

So thank you, Sir Jim.
Well said, you have written what many of us feel about the Grenadier and Jim Ratcliffe.

Enjoy picking yours up and driving it home, you will enjoy this so much and having driven 11,100 miles since April, every one has been with a smile on my face because the vehicle is so good in very many ways.

The tiny issues such as minor software glitches (long gone now) were expected and do not take away the huge positives that the Grenadier delivers.

Regards

John

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey BenTN,

we (my spouse and i) agree with most of the points of your report. And we hope you won't be disappointed the way we were and are.

We had a pick up appointment on December 14, 2023 and the Gren could not be handed over to us: the screen was black (we were told it was fine the day before and during PDI). Three weeks later, IA remotely diagnosed the root cause and told the dealer that the ECU was defective.

No communication since December 14, neither from the dealer nor from IA. We have to keep calling to inquire about the progress of fixing the Gren.

No progress so far. IA can not supply the spare part! They do not have ECU in stock! Dealer told us that IA will try to get an ECU from the production line. TRY? DO! They are giving higher priority to a "Gren to be" than a produced, delivered, payed and registered one waiting at the dealer for a repair? That is so poor!

I don't know if SJR is aware or even knows a trickle about what is going on. But IA does not seem to care about their customers and their dealers. As soon as a Gren is sold, they cut off communication. Except for advertising like "get a discount on select items" like t-shirts and stuff like that. Thank you IA.

Our anticipation began to wane on December 14 and is pretty much gone now.

And there is one major and growing concern. The root cause of the black screen was the defective ECU. But what was the cause of the defective ECU? No one will ever investigate this root cause, i'm afraid.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

So thank you, Sir Jim.
Thank you Ben. Your summary is excellent. I agree with every word.

Hopefully the ‘moaning minnies’ who appear to be constantly complaining and picking fault with the Grenadier read your words in the intended fashion. Maybe learn from your considered approach.

I wish you much joy when yours is delivered :)
So may I join you, echoing your sentiment, in saying ‘thank you Sir Jim’

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very well stated. Like you, I also didn’t have the opportunity to see one in the flesh before purchasing - but, I believed in the mission and vision of this project, and was grateful to our friends in Europe, Australia, and other places around the world for contributing on this forum - I felt well-prepared and confident in following through on this. Couldn’t be happier with my Grenadier!

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Um, am I the only one here responding to this post with cringe? It’s a car. And he’s a wealthy enthusiast. Whatever.
Mmm. Looks like you could be. I’ve been owning and driving Defenders for 40years, and the new Defender, well, in my opinion, however good it is, it’s not a ‘real’ Defender. Sir Jim has filled a gap that JLR left unfulfilled, a gap populated by enthusiasts and dreamers. I am sad for you, that you have missed the whole point, and not bought into the spirit. It may just be a car, but it’s a car with a wealth of that unquantifiable something that will set it apart from all the other chunks of metal with wheels. :) It’s a personal thing I guess.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Um, am I the only one here responding to this post with cringe? It’s a car. And he’s a wealthy enthusiast. Whatever.
Cringe? Not sure I would go that far...I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and what is truly cringe (IMO) is the discussion/comments I hear from neighbors and rando's on the street about various topics affecting society these days...

The original post is well written and your view is your opinion. Neither is right or wrong they are what they are and everyone can view it their own way. We are all judgmental in some manner.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Cringe? Not sure I would go that far...I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and what is truly cringe (IMO) is the discussion/comments I hear from neighbors and rando's on the street about various topics affecting society these days...

The original post is well written and your view is your opinion. Neither is right or wrong they are what they are and everyone can view it their own way. We are all judgmental in some manner.
Well said. I realize what I said might have been offensive. I’ll reword.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Thanks for your statement, it's much the same for me, except the Grenadier was 3x more than I have ever spent on a vehicle!
(I bought a new Beetle Cabriolet for my wife in 2001, while I ran a 1989 LR110CSW for 18 years)

Monty

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

So thank you, Sir Jim.
Spot on! We took delivery of ours this past Friday.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mmm. Looks like you could be. I’ve been owning and driving Defenders for 40years, and the new Defender, well, in my opinion, however good it is, it’s not a ‘real’ Defender. Sir Jim has filled a gap that JLR left unfulfilled, a gap populated by enthusiasts and dreamers. I am sad for you, that you have missed the whole point, and not bought into the spirit. It may just be a car, but it’s a car with a wealth of that unquantifiable something that will set it apart from all the other chunks of metal with wheels. :) It’s a personal thing I guess.
Love your words Coullabus...unquantifiable something...The Grenadier has been thought through long and hard, the brains, the toil, the tears, the Love and Soul versus Money and Mass, chunks of metal and wheels...I don't for a minute think they would do it all for free but the Love and Soul in my books is the clear winner...and I too am an old Landy bloke 1958 Love and Soul series II...happy motoring:)

Gryphon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score

So thank you, Sir Jim.
My sentiments entirely. After 8 months of ownership and 8000 miles “Vera the Grenadier” has proved to me that the decision taken a few years ago to follow this incredible vision was the correct one. It is everything I wanted plus much more and will see me out!

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Love your words Coullabus...unquantifiable something...The Grenadier has been thought through long and hard, the brains, the toil, the tears, the Love and Soul versus Money and Mass, chunks of metal and wheels...I don't for a minute think they would do it all for free but the Love and Soul in my books is the clear winner...and I too am an old Landy bloke 1958 Love and Soul series II...happy motoring:)
I suspect that some owners and prospective owners are too wrapped up in their perception of the abilities of the vehicle, the engineering enabling it to function in the way they desire it to function (or not) even the perceived kudos attached to owning such a remarkable vehicle… too wrapped up to see that there is another level. To quote your words, the love and soul. There is no scientific way to measure those two key factors. For me, and Mrs C, the Grenadier has indeed got a heart: the love, the soul, the spiritual essence that fits our lifestyle so remarkably well. A remarkable successor that picks up from the last 2016 Defenders.

I wish all owners much joy :cool:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect that some owners and prospective owners are too wrapped up in their perception of the abilities of the vehicle, the engineering enabling it to function in the way they desire it to function (or not) even the perceived kudos attached to owning such a remarkable vehicle… too wrapped up to see that there is another level. To quote your words, the love and soul. There is no scientific way to measure those two key factors. For me, and Mrs C, the Grenadier has indeed got a heart: the love, the soul, the spiritual essence that fits our lifestyle so remarkably well. A remarkable successor that picks up from the last 2016 Defenders.

I wish all owners much joy :cool:
I have a Diesel Trialmaster and have just driven a Grenadier loan car back [60klms] from the agents in Noosa Qld Aus...it is a different beast being petrol it has a different torque [talk] and vibe...interesting...my diesel talks to me differently and pushes me back into my seat much harder.
Thanks to all the owners, the forum, and of course our Sir Jim...happy motoring (y)

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well said. Newer production vehicles seem to be better than the 1st 2000 or so! RHD footrest and subsequent poor comfort from this design flaw is the only gripe I have after 7000kms. Other than that, I'm grateful Jim took this challenge on and produced a great vehicle.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well said. I realize what I said might have been offensive. I’ll reword.
Hi Chadd
I don’t think you were offensive. I found your comment good fun. We shouldn’t take ourselves seriously all the time.
I enjoyed Bens words and sentiments. I agreed with virtually all of it, but I could also imagine my friends taking the p..s out of me for writing such heartfelt words.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Chadd
I don’t think you were offensive. I found your comment good fun. We shouldn’t take ourselves seriously all the time.
I enjoyed Bens words and sentiments. I agreed with virtually all of it, but I could also imagine my friends taking the p..s out of me for writing such heartfelt words.
Well, I’ve been working among sharks in NYC for 27 years so I’ve been told I can be pretty abrasive. But mostly by my wife ;)

Back
Top Bottom