The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Contrast Ladder Frame (?)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I’m ordering a contrast frame, but then I have no interest in resale value as this is a forever truck for me. I’m thinking red to make it easier to tell if I’ve gotten all the nasty salt that Ohio and Michigan use on their roads in the winter. If the manual has torque specs for critical suspension bits I very well may get small yellow or black vinyl cut to label torque next to fasteners to check during each inspection.

All of my race car builds got subframes painted gloss grey for annual inspection and easier tracking of torqued fasteners when work is required.(wax pencil wipes off clean off of gloss grey paint vs the matte black BMW and Porsche are so fond of)
If this is your forever car, you buy what you want, or you will regret not getting it in the first place, especially when it is something you can't retrofit

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I’m ordering a contrast frame, but then I have no interest in resale value as this is a forever truck for me. I’m thinking red to make it easier to tell if I’ve gotten all the nasty salt that Ohio and Michigan use on their roads in the winter. If the manual has torque specs for critical suspension bits I very well may get small yellow or black vinyl cut to label torque next to fasteners to check during each inspection.

All of my race car builds got subframes painted gloss grey for annual inspection and easier tracking of torqued fasteners when work is required.(wax pencil wipes off clean off of gloss grey paint vs the matte black BMW and Porsche are so fond of)
Yes, Aston DBR's had painted pale blue frames to show up cracks and look great. My vintage builds take the same approach but with modern 2 pack epoxy primer and then an light cover with a pale Iso 2 pack or nitrocellulose paint. The problem with the INEOS contrast frame is that it's KTL dipped (good) but then they bloody powdercoat the thing so cracks will never show up and if there is a breach of the powdercoat and the primer you are in TVR territory with internal frame corrosion you need a boroscope to detect. Had the INEOS had a contrasted painted chassis I'd have gone for it in a heartbeat as rallying the thing after a few years of use has always been a plan.

Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
As I understand the frame is finished the same either way at the factory, the choice is black powder, grey powder, or red powder. I prefer paint to powder on frames as well but will take ANYTHING over another Toyota with a frame that rusts if you look at it wrong.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
As I understand the frame is finished the same either way at the factory, the choice is black powder, grey powder, or red powder. I prefer paint to powder on frames as well but will take ANYTHING over another Toyota with a frame that rusts if you look at it wrong.
It’s not just standard powder though, I have forgotten the name of the process but it’s a more sophisticated bonding process than straight powder. Apparently very chip resistant and tough.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Correct
1676959876702.png

roozkhan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Donny grey with red ladder frame is stunning. I imagine.getting it colored will aid rust and overall wear and tear, no?

roozkhan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Do people not wash their cars? No matter what color frame you choose, you should regularly maintain your paint and undercarriage. I think the red is a fine choice

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
I think that part with contrast frame looks like there is some plastic missing, no?

D5DD3D13-5879-4933-A075-EE55001FC83C.jpeg

Photo taken of customer vehicle last week.

Towing eyes with this one, at least the front ones I checked, come in red as well btw.

roozkhan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
That’s what I’ve ordered + black roof
That's how I will spec mine when it becomes available in the US. Have you been able to see the red ladder frame in person? Does it have a matte finish or a glossy one?

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not seen one in the flesh with the red chassis - bit of a risk

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's how I will spec mine when it becomes available in the US. Have you been able to see the red ladder frame in person? Does it have a matte finish or a glossy one?
Matte - t'was a bit too risque for me to order blind but having seen one now, it looks really good.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i like it. another difference from other marques

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not for me I'm afraid. I did want to like it but kept reminding me of a 'red leaded' chassis that had not been coated with wax oil or similar. ie. Half finished project. I do however like the red recovery rings.

Back
Top Bottom