The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas US Towing Package: A Hiccup delaying delivery of the tow package (not the vehicle!).

Jimxyz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Same. I wonder if I can talk the dealer into just the hitch.
Same - I was looking into an aftermarket set up or something just to hold the bike rack. The dealer didnt have any hitches available (w/o the wiring) and didnt even have licenseplate mounts - which hasnt been a problem, yet. lol. But they have been great on customer service - there's not much they can do to speed it up

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the dealer/port only removed the hitch so that a customer wont tow. The wiring harness stays.

Probably easier to remove the hitch then to remove the wiring harness.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe this is regulation from other regions affecting the decision.
But this is a specific to NA problem...

I think it's because the wiring *is* there, and it's easier to remove the hitch than the wiring

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know of any factory installed hitches that don’t come with the harness. Sure you can hit up UHaul but I don’t think you could find a new vehicle with a “trailer hitch” that doesn’t have the harness. I have seen some vehicles with “accessory mount” or something like that. Generally just the 1 1/2 mounts.

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place, but figure it’s a thread about US towing, so…..

Anyone know if the “tow package” wiring can be added to a grenadier that was not originally configured for it? I suppose the question is whether or not the trailer wiring is installed in all Gren’s regardless?

Honestly, I’m still fuzzy whether this whole US towing package hiccup is only software related, or if also related to the wiring harness. In which case, if the wiring also needs replaced on a wagon configured for towing, then it would seem it could also be added to a wagon not originally planned for towing?

Reactions: jwb

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Anyone spoken with or heard of a timeline for the hitch install? I have made a few calls to the dealer but haven't heard back yet. When I picked up the truck a few weeks ago they said it would be a few weeks until they get the fix. Just curious if anyone has heard any rumors? Looking forward to getting the teardrop out.
I spoke with my ATL dealer today. Yesterday they met with the Ineos corporate folks. It appears it will be relatively soon (a couple to few weeks). The delay apparently has to do with a secondary software update where they are also going to address the ADAS issue that seems to affect everyone within the same update instead of doing multiple updates. For those of us who have to travel hours to our dealership, I am appreciative of this approach as opposed to having to make two trips.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if they all just have the wiring regardless, but it has been posted here that a member had a hitch and functional wiring added.

It is my understanding the hiccup is a software Situation.

Last edited:

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Krabby although that’s a UK vehicle, so I’m not sure if it’s the same situation for us in NA. (Your link didn’t work for me, but I know which you’re referencing)

I spoke with Ineos this morning to try and get an answer, but they said they’d have to call me back. During the conversation, however, they did make the comment that they “hope to get the US towing sorted out in the coming months”……. Read in to that, or not, but it adds uncertainty in my mind and continues to show that nobody actually knows wtf is going on.

Edit: they called me back and said it is NOT possible to add tow hitch after purchase; it is necessary to spec it during original ordering to ensure the vehicle has the appropriate wiring installed.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Krabby although that’s a UK vehicle, so I’m not sure if it’s the same situation for us in NA. (Your link didn’t work for me, but I know which you’re referencing)

I spoke with Ineos this morning to try and get an answer, but they said they’d have to call me back. During the conversation, however, they did make the comment that they “hope to get the US towing sorted out in the coming months”……. Read in to that, or not, but it adds uncertainty in my mind and continues to show that nobody actually knows wtf is going on.

Edit: they called me back and said it is NOT possible to add tow hitch after purchase; it is necessary to spec it during original ordering to ensure the vehicle has the appropriate wiring installed.
"the coming months". That does not sound promising. I think now since the tow hitch is free they don't feel obligated to rush it. This is very disappointing, all the trips I take are with my trailer. Bummer

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen an actual North American (US) tow hitch setup? I have been looking for a photo to locate where the safety chain anchors are located. Thanks in advance!

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My dealer said February, but that could change.
Just learned that all the current IGs coming into the dealerships have the trailer hitch issue resolved. Evidently Ineos fixed them at the port of entry and have been delivering them to dealers this week with the trailer package intact. But NO information in regards to those of whose who have taken delivery. The dealer rep said that Ineos wanted to be sure the fix worked before they started addressing the previously purchased units.

Yea that makes a lot of sense!!! So they are selling new units with the trailer package but unsure that it works? RIGHT

Normally these things do not bother me. But the total lack of communication from Ineso but addressing the issue with new owners really is pushing me to the edge on this issue.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just learned that all the current IGs coming into the dealerships have the trailer hitch issue resolved. Evidently Ineos fixed them at the port of entry and have been delivering them to dealers this week with the trailer package intact. But NO information in regards to those of whose who have taken delivery. The dealer rep said that Ineos wanted to be sure the fix worked before they started addressing the previously purchased units.

Yea that makes a lot of sense!!! So they are selling new units with the trailer package but unsure that it works? RIGHT

Normally these things do not bother me. But the total lack of communication from Ineso but addressing the issue with new owners really is pushing me to the edge on this issue.
Mine arrived at the dealer a couple days ago here in FL (crown ineos in St Petersburg). Landed in the US Jan 6. Went through PDI yesterday. I’ll collect it in a week. My sales rep said hitch was blanked out and I’d get credit for the hitch (~$800 I believe). I’ll text my sales rep tomorrow and see if that is still the case. I’ll know for sure in 1 week :)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What you're hearing from the dealer is mostly accurate, but perhaps taken out of context. The hitch wiring software updating was tested on US vehicles in a small group several weeks ago (those owned by Ineos in the US); after it was found to be good the new vehicles at the port were/are being updated (East coast ports had a number of vehicles there, so those were tackled first, I believe the next West coast ship(s) arrive this week?). The confirmation happened well before the decision to update the vehicles at the ports.

I believe that the dealers should get the update to do current customers (and vehicles on their lots) within the next two weeks, then it is on them to be able to schedule customers and move through the process

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What you're hearing from the dealer is mostly accurate, but perhaps taken out of context. The hitch wiring software updating was tested on US vehicles in a small group several weeks ago (those owned by Ineos in the US); after it was found to be good the new vehicles at the port were/are being updated (East coast ports had a number of vehicles there, so those were tackled first, I believe the next West coast ship(s) arrive this week?). The confirmation happened well before the decision to update the vehicles at the ports.

I believe that the dealers should get the update to do current customers (and vehicles on their lots) within the next two weeks, then it is on them to be able to schedule customers and move through the process
Mine got to the west Coast on 1/16/24, from what I understand the update will done at port before being released to the dealership.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Thank you for the clarification. Would you happen to know if it is only for the hitch or is there a software update included in this that perhaps deals with the ADAS?

Thank you

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. Would you happen to know if it is only for the hitch or is there a software update included in this that perhaps deals with the ADAS?

Thank you
Just the trailer wiring module, from what I've heard there is nothing for ADAS in the pipeline at this time. Of course, my information could always be wrong

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen an actual North American (US) tow hitch setup? I have been looking for a photo to locate where the safety chain anchors are located. Thanks in advance!
Well since you ask ... my vehicle hitch is actually in the cargo area (initially found it behind the driver's seat). It is HEAVY!!! I picked up my "G" last weekend. I'll get a photo of the hitch tomorrow and upload if desired.

Back
Top Bottom