The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Again

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
I’m seeing guys down here nr Poole towing boats way over 3500kg with over run brakes and no Problems.
I don’t think thats legal though. AFAIK any trailer over 3.5 ton has to have coupled brakes of some kind, air or hydraulic.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think thats legal though. AFAIK any trailer over 3.5 ton has to have coupled brakes of some kind, air or hydraulic.
I know it’s not legal. They Just hope they don’t get caught.I suppose it’s way cheaper to move around boats with a trailer rather than a large HGV.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know it’s not legal. They Just hope they don’t get caught.I suppose it’s way cheaper to move around boats with a trailer rather than a large HGV.
Yes, I’ve towed over the limit on occasion, (3.5 ton digger on a 1 ton trailer) like I said overrun brakes are good on the highway if they are well maintained. I’d like to try electric brakes though. I’m not sure why they’ve never been allowed here.

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve towed over the limit on occasion, (3.5 ton digger on a 1 ton trailer) like I said overrun brakes are good on the highway if they are well maintained. I’d like to try electric brakes though. I’m not sure why they’ve never been allowed here.

I'm not an expert on this, but I've owned 3 car trailers, 2 open deck and one enclosed - all three had electric brakes on them, two of them on both axles. My enclosed had a 10,000 lb rating which I pulled with a Ford F250 diesel.

To my knowledge, the only trailers in the US with inertia brakes will be boat trailers. Anything hauling a car will have electric brakes.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes and then has to be a tested, plated trailer if its behind anything other than Agricultural vehicles?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
One major issue with towing trailers heavier than allowed by the vehicle is that when going down hill the trailer can easily take control of the vehicle.
Common problem with small cars towing caravans with inexperienced drivers.
we are about to start school holidays here and I guarantee I will see hundreds of massively overloaded vehicles, crowded with parents and children, roof rack stacked high and towing a caravan or camper trailer that is also stacked high and has 4 bikes hanging off the back.

1680039710326.png

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One major issue with towing trailers heavier than allowed by the vehicle is that when going down hill the trailer can easily take control of the vehicle.
we are about to start school holidays here and I guarantee I will see hundreds of massively overloaded vehicles, crowded with parents and children, roof rack stacked high and towing a caravan or camper trailer that is also stacked high and has 4 bikes hanging off the back.

View attachment 7807152
That truly is a work of art.. insane, but art nevertheless!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7807152
Yes, and usually they only tow once a year on holiday. And have " fun" reversing.

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
From the manual - is this the norm for on-road towing for even short distances (say maneuvering a trailer for parking, launching a boat, etc.)? Seems like it would help for those scenarios, but didn't think it was required.

Screenshot_20230328-203339.png
Edit:. I did ask about tow control wiring at a drive event in California. I think the guy didn't know what he was talking about since he said a brake controller was already included as if it was part of the tow package. Question remains if anyone knows yet if it comes pre-wired for an aftermarket controller if we select towing options or otherwise.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the manual - is this the norm for on-road towing for even short distances (say maneuvering a trailer for parking, launching a boat, etc.)? Seems like it would help for those scenarios, but didn't think it was required.

View attachment 7807160
Edit:. I did ask about tow control wiring at a drive event in California. I think the guy didn't know what he was talking about since he said a brake controller was already included as if it was part of the tow package. Question remains if anyone knows yet if it comes pre-wired for an aftermarket controller if we select towing options or otherwise.

The Austrian test driver demonstrated the Gren doing 80kmh in low range in a Polish video. He specifically states that towing something heavy in low range around the street is preferable.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes quite fast I notice he didn't try to attempt the Land Rover change from low to high on the move. Risky at the best of times sort of double double declutching and praying.

Back
Top Bottom