The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Again

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
I have been looking at tow ball fitted to other vehicles it seems people bolt on anything that fits their needs.
They do and I do. With an N1 no type approval needed. I guess for an M1 if there was an accident when towing then if not a type approved tow bar may be an issue.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
by the wife for wearing slippers around the farm yard.
i know we should stick together but I'm with your wife on that one!

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Am I the only forum member that has gone for Fieldmaster AND tow ball?
No, same here. I was towing using ball & pintle on an L405. Was advised to stick to ball only to be UK compliant even though JLR built the vehicle for me with a removable drop plate. It does tow more smoothly with a ball. I’m thinking that the Grenadier will handle 3500kg at least as well as the RR.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i know we should stick together but I'm with your wife on that one!
To be fair (to me) in reality it is only the stable yard I go in my slippers. She still mutters "slippers vs 0.5t horse with steel shoes, I'm not taking you to A&E"

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Grenadier will come with an on-board trailer brake controller? I couldn't find anything about that.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Grenadier will come with an on-board trailer brake controller? I couldn't find anything about that.
no it doesn't. some Oz members were looking into the Redarc as a post delivery add-on

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All UK / EU cars wont have one as electric brakes aren’t legal here. Not sure about the Aussie / US ones.

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
All UK / EU cars wont have one as electric brakes aren’t legal here. Not sure about the Aussie / US ones.

So, you have to rely on inertia trailer brakes? Strange that they wouldn't be legal - they are so much better.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, you have to rely on inertia trailer brakes? Strange that they wouldn't be legal - they are so much better.
Yes over run inertia brakes only here. The modern ones aren’t that bad if they are well maintained. I tow trailers up to 3.5 ton regularly and they stop pretty well. I’d like to try electric brakes though. In off road situations the problem with over run brakes is that they don’t work in reverse so in a failed hill climb situation the full weight of the trailer hangs on the vehicle brakes.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes over run inertia brakes only here. The modern ones aren’t that bad if they are well maintained. I tow trailers up to 3.5 ton regularly and they stop pretty well. I’d like to try electric brakes though. In off road situations the problem with over run brakes is that they don’t work in reverse so in a failed hill climb situation the full weight of the trailer hangs on the vehicle brakes.
I’m seeing guys down here nr Poole towing boats way over 3500kg with over run brakes and no Problems.

Back
Top Bottom