The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Tow Package install - Software Update

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
What about the Red Arc brake controller? I plan to install one of the two I have sitting around. Now that there wiring diagram has been released, 7700 lbs, here I come lol

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Well 1st trial-run went smoothly pulling the camper this weekend. One thing to note is that I couldn't use my portable CURT trailer break controller. When you hook it up you get an error message about the trailer brake lights and the turn signals don't work. When you hook it up directly into the 7 pin connector everything works just fine. Long story short "no trailer brakes or signals" which means we will chew-up the Grenadiers brake pads quickly if when tow. "Luckily my Mini toy-haler only weighs about 3,500 lbs fully loaded". Surely after-market will make something compatible with our Grenadiers 7 pin. Other than this Family camping trip went great. View attachment 7848804
How do you like the Oru Kayak?

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
What about the Red Arc brake controller? I plan to install one of the two I have sitting around. Now that there wiring diagram has been released, 7700 lbs, here I come lol
Just started to look at these so this might be my best option at this point. I was just hoping I could have used my $300 portable option from CURT instead of spending another $200 + for a vehicle specific one. :confused:

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I can't believe there is no one here in NA hooking up a std 25' 7,000lb load capacity trailer to a Grenadier yet, and showing it here.
That dealer is probably correct.

The Grenadier is probably not designed to pull an American style camper (caravan) or heavy fiberglass boat.
A brake controller is a built in option on just about every pickup truck in the USA. For almost no money. I think on my Silverado it was $150.00, and it works perfectly.

Starting to be miffed. 5 years of promises, and no performance.
I can't even check the oil on the thing if I do hook a trailer on it for a few thousand miles.

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I’m just confused. Used to tow our 6-7000lb wake boat routinely with our new Defender just fine. The LR didn’t have a separate brake controller and the electronic brakes seemed to function just fine on the trailer. Is this not the case with the Grenadier?

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I’m just confused. Used to tow our 6-7000lb wake boat routinely with our new Defender just fine. The LR didn’t have a separate brake controller and the electronic brakes seemed to function just fine on the trailer. Is this not the case with the Grenadier?
Does your boat trailer have surge brakes or electric brakes... Never owned or pulled a boat, so I am not familiar. Surge brakes would not require a separate brake controller.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As bad as this sounds I just know that the trailer plugs right into the 7 pin harness and works…

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Recently finished install of a Redarc controller. Link to the install

Ours is a 23’, but we’re planning to head out this weekend.

View attachment 7849042
This is our rolling base camp.
68255051456__287673DB-39EF-4068-A7BE-7AA005D1B852.jpg
As you can see, it sets high for off road clearance.
4 season package, sealed bottom, 600w solar, electric heat, 12 v A/C, 600Ah lithium. DC/DC charger, Satellite comm's, Cell booster, Gun safe, security cam's.
dry weight is 5500, so, rolling is in the 6,000's.
I don't tow with full tanks across country.
Equalizing hitch, 10% tongue weight should put 600 on the ball.
But it has electric brakes on both axles.

That platform is very popular within the Winnebago line.
I had it made for desert quail hunting specifically to be towed safely by a Grenadier.

It is plug in and go on a basic GM/Ford/Ram/Toyota/Nissan pickup w/7 pin connector and integral brake controller.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As bad as this sounds I just know that the trailer plugs right into the 7 pin harness and works…
Does it feel like the trailer brakes kick in a moment after the vehicle starts slowing? If so, sounds like surge brakes, as I don't think the new Defenders have built-in brake controllers. The vast majority of boat trailers use surge brakes from what I remember (specifically so that they can be towed easily by a wide array of vehicles and you don't need a brake controller)

If that's the case, it'll work exactly the same with the Grenadier

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes Can you provide anything directly from Inoes that I can give to my dealer so they will install the hitch?
Sorry @BillLumberg only just catching up with this thread. Call your dealer and ask for them to do the install and software update, that’s my only suggestion. They have been given the go ahead to perform this work. The scheduling and implementation is totally in their court. I think this is a situation where persistence will get things going.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
The part (the hitch itself) wasn't removed at the dealer, it was removed at the port; the dealers then held on to those parts for reinstallation later (now).

They shouldn't have to order anything...
Yes, every should be in hand ready to install

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does it feel like the trailer brakes kick in a moment after the vehicle starts slowing? If so, sounds like surge brakes, as I don't think the new Defenders have built-in brake controllers. The vast majority of boat trailers use surge brakes from what I remember (specifically so that they can be towed easily by a wide array of vehicles and you don't need a brake controller)

If that's the case, it'll work exactly the same with the Grenadier
When researching the New Defender, many were installing the Redarc brake controller...for an extra couple of hundred dollars I would gladly say yes to an OEM installed brake controller.

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sierra INEOS in Southern California has begun calling owners to install the tow package and software update. I took delivery in December and just got the tow package installed this week.

After the software update, I no longer have the lane departure display next to the speedometer. The audible warning does chirp if I change lanes without using the blinker.

Also! The ADAS speed warning is gone! No speed limit sign on the speedometer and no over speed limit clicking at all. The ADAS menu which was in the Vehicle Functions menu is gone. My FAV button was set to the ADAS settings page before. Now when I hit FAV, I still get to the ADAS menu, but there does not appear to be any way to navigate to the ADAS menu through the main menu.

There’s a new line in the Vehicle Functions menu called Speed Warning which defaulted to Off.

Has anyone else noticed this after tow package install? How do I get the software version number?

Attachments

• IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

Kyabmo1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sierra INEOS in Southern California has begun calling owners to install the tow package and software update. I took delivery in December and just got the tow package installed this week.

After the software update, I no longer have the lane departure display next to the speedometer. The audible warning does chirp if I change lanes without using the blinker.

Also! The ADAS speed warning is gone! No speed limit sign on the speedometer and no over speed limit clicking at all. The ADAS menu which was in the Vehicle Functions menu is gone. My FAV button was set to the ADAS settings page before. Now when I hit FAV, I still get to the ADAS menu, but there does not appear to be any way to navigate to the ADAS menu through the main menu.

There’s a new line in the Vehicle Functions menu called Speed Warning which defaulted to Off.

Has anyone else noticed this after tow package install? How do I get the software version number?
That’s good news!

SW version is under settings>vehicle functions> vehicle information

I had the tow package at delivery in Feb with ver SW00000069002070

Still have ADAS default on

Reactions: PBD

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I had the tow hitch and software update done a few days ago and am still getting the speed warning sound and still have to to go to Favorites to turn of the warning. I didn't notice the lane departure icon missing, I'll spend some time in it today to see if they really did the software update because I didn't notice any of the changes you mentioned.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also have the update, it does not default to off. Driving from Philadelphia to DC with multiple stops in between, I can assure you this is the case.

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I also have software version SW00000069002070

Is this ADAS menu missing for you all? Do you have the Speed Warning setting under Vehicle Functions menu instead?

Back
Top Bottom