The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Tow Package install - Software Update

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
So the first hour of labor is properly angling the vehicle into the bay... After accounting for sun (and moon) position, and ensuring no vibes are being harshed, the technician may continue...

Right? They have to find a way to burn some time, then do the actual work in 30 minutes and charge you two hours!!! :)

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
Spoke to Curry yesterday, they said there has been no indication of when the software update will be available to the dealers. I was lucky enough to have mine be part of the batch done at the port (No free hitch for this guy)
Picked mine up March 14 and my tow hitch was in order.

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Well 1st trial-run went smoothly pulling the camper this weekend. One thing to note is that I couldn't use my portable CURT trailer break controller. When you hook it up you get an error message about the trailer brake lights and the turn signals don't work. When you hook it up directly into the 7 pin connector everything works just fine. Long story short "no trailer brakes or signals" which means we will chew-up the Grenadiers brake pads quickly if when tow. "Luckily my Mini toy-haler only weighs about 3,500 lbs fully loaded". Surely after-market will make something compatible with our Grenadiers 7 pin. Other than this Family camping trip went great. IMG_5683.jpg

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well 1st trial-run went smoothly pulling the camper this weekend. One thing to note is that I couldn't use my portable CURT trailer break controller. When you hook it up you get an error message about the trailer brake lights and the turn signals don't work. When you hook it up directly into the 7 pin connector everything works just fine. Long story short "no trailer brakes or signals" which means we will chew-up the Grenadiers brake pads quickly if when tow. "Luckily my Mini toy-haler only weighs about 3,500 lbs fully loaded". Surely after-market will make something compatible with our Grenadiers 7 pin. Other than this Family camping trip went great. View attachment 7848804
Could the warnings be because the Grenadier monitors for "bulb out warnings" on the trailer, thus if you use LEDs on the trailer, it won't see enough load and assume the bulbs are burnt out.

Or, in more plain words, could "no trailer brakes or signals" meaning no brake lights or turn signals (since they share the same signal), not no trailer brakes as that is on a different pin in the connector

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Could the warnings be because the Grenadier monitors for "bulb out warnings" on the trailer, thus if you use LEDs on the trailer, it won't see enough load and assume the bulbs are burnt out.

Or, in more plain words, could "no trailer brakes or signals" meaning no brake lights or turn signals (since they share the same signal), not no trailer brakes as that is on a different pin in the connector
Not really sure I didn't test to see if the brakes would work but I know that the lights and turn signals did not when hooked-up via CURT brake controller , but I did call to inform my dealer and was told that this was "not meant to tow boats, travel trailers, ect..." and that it was designed as a utilitarian vehicle. So this is why my brake controller wouldn't work. I then asked as why they would sell a tow package as an option then. But was told that they are passing along these concerns up the chain of command.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
and was told that this was "not meant to tow boats, travel trailers, ect..." and that it was designed as a utilitarian vehicle. So this is why my brake controller wouldn't work.
These kinds of responses from dealers really sours the excitement of customers, especially when it simply isn't rooted in any sort of fact.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not really sure I didn't test to see if the brakes would work but I know that the lights and turn signals did not when hooked-up via CURT brake controller , but I did call to inform my dealer and was told that this was "not meant to tow boats, travel trailers, ect..." and that it was designed as a utilitarian vehicle. So this is why my brake controller wouldn't work. I then asked as why they would sell a tow package as an option then. But was told that they are passing along these concerns up the chain of command.
What??? Then why does it highlight it has an 8K pound towing capacity? That is one of the dumber responses out of a dealer this year.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not meant to two boats or trailers? WTF kind of statement is that? I can’t imagine that response came from corporate!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How was the West founded without horses hauling wagons???? Guess horses are just for fancy riding :giggle:

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on tow specs as it is posted everywhere, don't kill the messenger. All I really want to know what kind of brake controller have you found that will work with our Grenadiers? Like I said the CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake controller will not work with the Grenadier like it does with any other tow rigs Land Rover, Jeep 392, F-150. I was looking for a quick and easy solution like before; with the one I already had.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on tow specs as it is posted everywhere, don't kill the messenger. All I really want to know what kind of brake controller have you found that will work with our Grenadiers? Like I said the CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake controller will not work with the Grenadier like it does with any other tow rigs Land Rover, Jeep 392, F-150. I was looking for a quick and easy solution like before; with the one I already had.

Is this not quite the type of install you were looking to do? Granted I know very little about brake controllers, but it seemed to work in this application

Local time
Reaction score
Just heard my IG came in to the dealer yesterday. Tow hitch was installed at the port, but new software update is tomorrow (just released)...so I have to wait a day. :(
Was told they are having a 'special' technician install the s/w update manually vs OTA? Anyway, looking forward to driving it home tomorrow.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
but I did call to inform my dealer and was told that this was "not meant to tow boats, travel trailers, ect..." and that it was designed as a utilitarian vehicle.

Bullshit - 7700 lbs is class leading towing capacity.

BUILT ON PURPOSE

MalcolmT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
I spoke with 2 dealers last week (The one I purchased the IG from and the 1 I am having the trailer receiver sent to for Tow Package installed). They both stated that the only place the tow package is being installed and the software update is being done is at the port. Ineos has not sent the software update to the dealers yet. Both dealers believe it will be within 2 weeks. The dealers stated once they have validation of the software update, they will be calling everyone and scheduling the installation of the tow package.

Curious if the software will just be updating for the Tow Package or address some of the other issues.
I had my IG delivered in May 2023, software is more like a complete replacement which became available October 2023. Still isn’t debugged. I have a loan IG since my IG was unroadworthy 19 December 2023 and it has also loads of software issues, door handles that the buttons jam in and then you cannot start or drive your vehicle. Low oil warning etc. My dealer told me there is no dip stick only to be advised by a garage friend that the dip stick is hidden and black so it cannot been seen easily. There is no Ineos engineering back up for the service agents. Then there is the inherent steering geometry design issues that they have no solutions to set camber to a safe setting! So much for German Austrian engineering that is not ‘roadworthy’.

Local time
Reaction score
I would gladly pay the $800 to have the hitch installed at this point. I do lots of towing, 2-3 times a month during this season and its been a huge detriment not to have the capability to tow. This seems like it could have been handled better.

Anyone know of an owner who went to a shop and had a 3rd party install a hitch and wiring?
Normally thats what I would consider but the electronics, ecu, and software have been so buggy I dont think I would have anyone mess with it.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome work Mopar! Man those Mass license plates are beautiful! Cali plates are dull - except when you have to pay for the nicer ones :)

BTW - they offer veteran's discount from Leitner Designs and www.urbanautomotiveusa.com.
I love the Classic vanity plates, I have a couple sets on my cars

Back
Top Bottom