The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof racks, Head up displays and dash cams etc. Any after market accessory.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
I attach a photo of what happened to us in 2019 after some heavy off road use in Mauritania. Some fixings had worked loose even with thread lock and lock nuts and the remaining fixings ripped out of the slots in the slats of the roof rack.
I see Front Runner have a quick release kit for RTTs. I wonder how stout these are?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see Front Runner have a quick release kit for RTTs. I wonder how stout these are?
Your part of the world no problem. Hard life over corrugations or remote/international use simpler is probably better.

We gave their fixed mounts an absolute beating - the rack broke but the awning attachments didn’t.
For a regular punter/occasional camping etc detaching a heavy awning is surely better than lugging it around.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Your part of the world no problem. Hard life over corrugations or remote/international use simpler is probably better.
One day we will travel around the big island. And you can bet I'll double/triple reinforce everything and even then have options should anything break. Which it won't :D 🥸 :cautious:o_O(y)🍺

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Do you have a link for the quick release? Does this work with the Alucab rtt?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have a link for the quick release? Does this work with the Alucab rtt?
I know nothing about Alucabs, sorry.

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
While not really aftermarket specific to the IG, the Uniden R7 and R8 already has a small dedicated display for speed and of course feels like mandatory equipment for every vehicle in US. I like my R7 and maybe having it front and center of the driver would be handy. In the end, I think it will be easy to adjust to looking at the center console.

1681401197033.png

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have some thoughts on the IG 3/4 roof rack? It's actually less expensive than the Frontrunner and would be covered under factory warranty.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
How much is it?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
I’d hang fire, I have a UK company pricing one up for me just now, if its anything like the other racks that they make it won’t be as much as that. Hopefully significantly cheaper. I’ll report back on quality once I get my hands on it. I dunno what the shipping costs to USA would be though.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They advertise that you can leave some of the slats out as shown below.
This will allow the safari windows to be used but when I want to put long lengths of timer or my wife's SUP board up their I can close them and use the full length of the rack & overhang as needed.
Also allow me to fit a long awning on it.
Need to put a wind deflector on the front and the light bar in front/above it.
Then I will add a couple of smaller light bars angled out slightly on the bull bar

View attachment 7795147
Just a caution in case you hadn't seen it somewhere else yet, but you have to assemble the rack without those rails, and take it apart again to put them in. I have a frontrunner now and got a short rack because I didn't want to cover the sunroof on the 4runner, or drill rivets in for the full length kit.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just a caution in case you hadn't seen it somewhere else yet, but you have to assemble the rack without those rails, and take it apart again to put them in. I have a frontrunner now and got a short rack because I didn't want to cover the sunroof on the 4runner, or drill rivets in for the full length kit.
You can just slide them back rather than leave them out

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can just slide them back rather than leave them out
That would work. I do like the lateral slats for load bearing and I don't find the wind noise intrusive at all. I almost went with an eezi-awn to reduce wind noise but my slimline II has been great.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have some thoughts on the IG 3/4 roof rack? It's actually less expensive than the Frontrunner and would be covered under factory warranty.
Do you only want the 3/4 length, or is this to clear the dual-sunroof? I particularly like that the IG rack sits closer to the roof. Since the Frontrunner is about the same price, I just went for the IG rack (full length in my case).

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Do you only want the 3/4 length, or is this to clear the dual-sunroof? I particularly like that the IG rack sits closer to the roof. Since the Frontrunner is about the same price, I just went for the IG rack (full length in my case).

It's because I plan on getting the safari windows and you can't use them with the full length rack.

K2grenadier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
ASPW & his video on roof racks.

He was OK with Front Runner but was also a bit negative.

Very informative video. Good info on the roof attachments/failure points and the potential noise trade off with rack bar orientation. I am considering front runner but now will do more research before deciding.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very informative video. Good info on the roof attachments/failure points and the potential noise trade off with rack bar orientation. I am considering front runner but now will do more research before deciding.
Only problems with his reviews is, made in south africa is always the best, and manufacturers who sponsor him are also always the best.

Back
Top Bottom